2 year associates degree help

Ty21

26 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

No, you can get nursing degree in 2 years and start working immediately. My wife did this and then finished her bachelor's later on, which her hospital helped pay for...

She's been a nurse for 6 years and is making just under $60K/year. She works in a GI lab though within the hospital now and only works 2 eight hour shifts and 2 ten hour shifts, no weekends. she made more when she worked on an actual floor before transferring...

I see your dilemma though if you're rural...

You might want to look getting a CDL and seeing about driving opportunities. Seems like those are plentiful in rural areas...  

That's crazy, when I was going to become a nurse it took 2 years worth of classes to get accepted into the two year nursing program lmao, guess it depends where you go to school.

36 minutes ago, Tyty said:

I guess I should also mention I'm in a pretty rural county. Think the biggest city has 9000 or so people and so $200 an hour nursing jobs aren't around me. My moms an er nurse and she makes mid 30s I wanna say. But still, nursing is a 4 year thing anyway

and web development I'm not sure how much success I'd have with it around here unless I drove a bit to Kalamazoo or south bend or Elkhart 

Do your research and move somewhere that has a better pay/cost of living ratio, no matter what you go to school for.

1 hour ago, TXsteeler said:

That's crazy, when I was going to become a nurse it took 2 years worth of classes to get accepted into the two year nursing program lmao, guess it depends where you go to school.

Well I botched this one lol. After asking my wife again she told me she had to do 2 years and get all her general ed classes out of the way and get accepted in nursing program. Then she had 2 year nursing program. Once she graduated that, she began working and got her BS after 1 more calendar year of online classes.

So she technically had 5 years of school. My bad to get @Tyty wrong info...

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Well I botched this one lol. After asking my wife again she told me she had to do 2 years and get all her general ed classes out of the way and get accepted in nursing program. Then she had 2 year nursing program. Once she graduated that, she began working and got her BS after 1 more calendar year of online classes.

So she technically had 5 years of school. My bad to get @Tyty wrong info...

Yeah, In my very limited experience, 2 year nursing degrees are kind of a scam because you put in 4 years of work for a 2 year degree instead of 4 years of work for a 4 year degree.

5 hours ago, Tyty said:

I guess I should also mention I'm in a pretty rural county. Think the biggest city has 9000 or so people and so $200 an hour nursing jobs aren't around me. My moms an er nurse and she makes mid 30s I wanna say. But still, nursing is a 4 year thing anyway

and web development I'm not sure how much success I'd have with it around here unless I drove a bit to Kalamazoo or south bend or Elkhart 

Your country azz can get an associates degree in nursing you heehaw. RN.  

And mid 30’s is the hourly rate.

Tyty, you considered home inspection? 

Im gonna try to get my license this spring as a side gig. I believe it’s about a semesters worth of book work and then a bunch of hours with a mentor from what I remember.

A guy I know works 3-4 (12-16 hour) days a week and brings in 70k on a bad year. Over 100k a couple times since he started about 10 years ago.

he has his own company and he put in a LOT of work advertising and getting his name out there. Like a couple years of working for dirt cheap, stopping by real estate offices with his card, telling everyone he knows and offering rebates if you refer a friend. Stuff like that.

But he’s super happy and basically picks his schedule now that he’s established himself and is in demand. 

@domepatrol91 i was talking to an emt when I was in an ambulance today and was asking about being an emt and she said she likes her job and it only took a little over s year to become one then said part time makes $11 an hour and full time makes $8 an hour because of the insurance benefits and other benefits that come with. Lost all interest immediately lol. No point in getting a highly stressful job and spending time becoming qualified for it to only make $8 an hour 

6 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

Tyty, you considered home inspection? 

Im gonna try to get my license this spring as a side gig. I believe it’s about a semesters worth of book work and then a bunch of hours with a mentor from what I remember.

A guy I know works 3-4 (12-16 hour) days a week and brings in 70k on a bad year. Over 100k a couple times since he started about 10 years ago.

he has his own company and he put in a LOT of work advertising and getting his name out there. Like a couple years of working for dirt cheap, stopping by real estate offices with his card, telling everyone he knows and offering rebates if you refer a friend. Stuff like that.

But he’s super happy and basically picks his schedule now that he’s established himself and is in demand. 

I'm somewhat personable when I want to be but for the most part not personable enough to ever succeed in something like that

Phlebotomist would be another quicker option. 

https://www1.salary.com/Phlebotomist-hourly-wages.html

STNA is something you could probably get hired for tomorrow, would get full benefits/401k/etc, and make $12-14 an hour. They’d also pay for all of your training most likely (a hospital that is). Once you get your foot in the door, you’d get a better idea of other career options in healthcare and most hospitals offer tuition reimbursement.

On a two year degree, I'd recommend something in the healthcare field for sure. Nursing degrees can get started at the associates level, and it has a structure in place to allow you to progress past that. Sonographer is another one - there are two major ones, cardio vascular and gynecological I believe. Dental hygenist and a number of technician jobs are also there. The only downside to the medical stuff is that they typically require clinical hours at one point, which are not paid or anything, so if you have a full time job and have to pay bills, that could present a problem. 

@Tyty I feel like I’m turning into your mother at this point, so just go with it.

https://www.indeed.com/m/jobs?q=CNA&l=Benton+Harbor%2C+MI

Nurse’s aid jobs near Benton Harbor (I thought I remember you mentioning you lived around there). They’ll pay for your training (and pay you while you’re being trained), start you at probably 12ish but have full medical, dental, 401k, etc.

Ben-Stiller-Do-It-Starsky-and-Hutch.gif?

52 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

@Tyty I feel like I’m turning into your mother at this point, so just go with it.

https://www.indeed.com/m/jobs?q=CNA&l=Benton+Harbor%2C+MI

Nurse’s aid jobs near Benton Harbor (I thought I remember you mentioning you lived around there). They’ll pay for your training (and pay you while you’re being trained), start you at probably 12ish but have full medical, dental, 401k, etc.

Ben-Stiller-Do-It-Starsky-and-Hutch.gif?

My wife's a cna. Seems like a prettt decent option. The whole drive home from work I just thought to myself why am I busting my *** for $9.50 an hour? That's only 60 cents more than a McDonald's employee 

Archived