Packers hire Brian Gutekunst as GM

marky mark

Good luck, Mr GoodArt. I was hoping we'd hire Gutekunst, last year, before John Lynch came out of nowhere. Seems like a bright guy, and Eliot Wolf is still in the organization, right? So have all these guys work together, just like they've already been doing under Thompson. 

2 hours ago, malak1 said:

Any chance this means more of the same? 

You mean like following Ted's philosophy of almost strictly building through the draft? I highly doubt it. I would expect a little more aggression on the FA front but we really don't know for sure. 

34 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

You mean like following Ted's philosophy of almost strictly building through the draft? I highly doubt it. I would expect a little more aggression on the FA front but we really don't know for sure. 

If that’s the case, then I think Rodgers will be pleased. 

4 hours ago, malak1 said:

Any chance this means more of the same? 

Depends on what you mean by more of the same.  The Packers aren't going to suddenly ignore the draft. It's the main way to build a franchise.  But I'd suspect they'll be a bit more active in FA and trades.

5 hours ago, malak1 said:

As long as they disappoint in the post-season, I’m good with it. 

Well, unlike his predecessor Gutekunst will apparently not limit himself to just draft picks and undrafted free agents to build his roster.

Active participants in veteran free agency and consideration of player trades may no longer be verboten for the first time in over a decade.

"One NFL source who’s very familiar with the Packers’ front office said that Gutekunst, Eliot Wolf and recently departed scout Alonzo Highsmith all had a similar, far more expansive view of free agency and trades than Thompson had in his 13 seasons as GM.

I think (Gutekunst) will build a winner through every resource available,” the source said."

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2018/01/07/dougherty-mark-murphy-plays-odds-making-right-call/1011488001/

Consequently, Packer playoff disappointment might not be as automatic as NFL came to expect under the prior GM.

3 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

lloks like mm won out and the pack admitted to themselves that thompsons approach was extremely flawed. Good choice by them.

Pretty clear Murphy and McCarthy both realized Thompson's approach was just not cutting it anymore. Thompson did bring a championship back to GB so he'll always be remembered for that but with Rodgers getting older, we need use every available avenue to build this current team and TT just wasn't willing to do that. 

Archived