2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

Just now, Packer_ESP said:

The thing is, if you don't go edge at 14 it's very hard to find one later. You can get good CBs or WRs the second day, but unless you're ready to roll the dice with someone like Okoronkwo, you have to go 1st to get a good rusher.

That's my thinking as well, except finding a good corner vs finding an immediate starter quality corner are two different things. Assuming it comes down to that of course

Just now, incognito_man said:

I'm not sure why. Our edge guys aren't much better than our CBs right now. And there's a LOT more CB talent on the market yet than edge...

They better be since we have 20m tied up in them. But thats a conversation for another thread

4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

The problem is that it's going to be significantly tougher at the next level.  There's going to be a transition period there and he's going to struggle in terms of generating pressure if he doesn't adapt.

My other thought is that with the DL we currently have, it seems we’ll already have a good push up the middle directly at the QB. Seems like if you had a guy that can better provide pressure around the edge, like Landry, that would fit better since the QB will be less likely able to step up into the pocket to avoid it.

And if he can at least get the OT cheating towards the outside, that might open up more space for the interior guys. I’d be curious to know if either Davenport or Landry ran many stunts with other DL and how they performed at it.

I’m uncertain on how Pettine plans to line up the edge guys, but the numbers I’ve seen show Davenport is great in a 3p stance but struggles in 2p, whereas Landry is great in 2p and still fairly good in 3p. 

2 hours ago, moretti19 said:

How would people feel about Billy Price In the 2nd?

Best spot in the pros is at Center. Might let you let Linsley walk, but he's not going to cost too much if last year was anything to go by. I don't like C/G in the second anyway unless it's a for sure stud and I don't think Price is that. 

34 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I'm not sure why. Our edge guys aren't much better than our CBs right now. And there's a LOT more CB talent on the market yet than edge...

That’s actually something I was thinking about, though maybe my impression is being skewed by this offseason. It seems like it is more common for decent-to-good CB’s to move from team to team (via FA or trade) than the same caliber edge guys.

So while the current need at CB is a huge cause for concern, my thinking is that if they address the edge early this year, they can maybe help the CB spot via trade or FA next year when they’ll have a bunch of cap space. It seems like the reverse would be more difficult to do.

56 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

Nick Perry and Clay Matthews are far better than anything we've got at CB. It's keeping them on the field healthy for 16+ games that's the problem. 

I'd say the need at CB is greater than the need at edge because of that, but pass rusher is one of those positions that you need to spend a premium pick on. I'd like to see the numbers on the % of 1st round picks starting at each position across the league, ER is probably up there with QB and maybe OT as the clear difference makers.

Just hoping we stay away from Josh Jackson.  Don't understand the love for him at all.

He clocked slow at the combine and looks slow on tape.  5 of his 8 int's were against  Barrett and Hornibrook who possess far from NFL arm strength.  Both were susceptible to int's, and NFL QB's wont give them so easily.  I think he may be a zone only player who most likely will need to move to FS to make a splash.

I want Jeff Holland at the end of 4th. Say what you want about his lack of length, all he does is beat tackles with his hands. Even if we get Landry Davenport or Carter, I’d like to double up on pass rusher and Holland is going to be productive as a rotational piece and his polished moves suggest he’ll contribute early.

Is LVE this year's T.J. Watt? Other than the fact that Watt played primarily on the edge at Wisc and LVE played a lot inside, their combine numbers and measurables are remarkably close. Steelers used Watt all over the place last year and LVE could be that player this year. 

LVE: 

Measurable Measurement %tile
Height 6' 4¼" 96
Weight 256 lbs 94
Wingspan 81⅛" 91
Arm Length 33⅞" 94
Hand Size 9¾" 59
40 Yard Dash 4.65s 71
Vertical Jump 39½" 93
Broad Jump 124" 89
3-Cone Drill 6.88s 85
20 Yard Shuttle 4.15s 83
60 Yard Shuttle 11.57s 65
Bench Press 20 reps

Watt:

Measurable Measurement %tile
Height 6' 4" 93
Weight 252 lbs 89
Arm Length 33⅛" 78
Hand Size 11" 98
40 Yard Dash 4.69s 57
Vertical Jump 37" 82
Broad Jump 128" 95
3-Cone Drill 6.79s 90
20 Yard Shuttle 4.13s 85
60 Yard Shuttle 11.2s 94
Bench Press 21 reps 42

3 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I'd say > 75%. Need meets value meets availability. Gonna be several guys worthy of pick 14 available methinks.

Bucky Brooks:

"Using a "BPA" (best player available) philosophy that's built on the premise of ranking and selecting the top football talents in the draft, teams shouldn't bypass good players to simply grab a prospect who fills a need. While some will take umbrage with that notion, I believe there are too many examples in previous drafts that validate my perspective"

8 minutes ago, Leader said:

Bucky Brooks:

"Using a "BPA" (best player available) philosophy that's built on the premise of ranking and selecting the top football talents in the draft, teams shouldn't bypass good players to simply grab a prospect who fills a need. While some will take umbrage with that notion, I believe there are too many examples in previous drafts that validate my perspective"

That goes without saying every year. It also assumes you have enough players at every position to field a team

Archived