2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

1 hour ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

Darryn Colledge played mostly guard and was drafted in the second round.  When they drafted both Sitton and Lang he left as a FA and played guard for the Cardinals.  Maybe he was supposed to be the tackle of the future, but he started off in the NFL as a guard, and played a lot of guard for the Packers.

He was a starter for a really crappy team as a 7th round draftee.  I would put that poor season more on the guys that were making a lot of money than the guy in over his head.  Didn't he start all 16 games?

If memory serves, we had huge holes at guard that year, I think we brought in some poor free agents, Klemm comes to mind, and took the guy to play guard in the 7'th round.  It was bad all the way around.  Whittaker that is...I don't think he played after that year.  

1 hour ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

Darryn Colledge played mostly guard and was drafted in the second round.  When they drafted both Sitton and Lang he left as a FA and played guard for the Cardinals.  Maybe he was supposed to be the tackle of the future, but he started off in the NFL as a guard, and played a lot of guard for the Packers.

Colledge was drafted to be the starting LT after Chad Clifton.  Unfortunately, he played well at LG and he stayed there.

15 minutes ago, Leader said:

Yeah - whats the deal with this guy? I never read or even hear his name in the mix of OL possibilities. Maybe I'm just reading and listening in the wrong places LOL

Guess he came in a little light 280 lbs.  Needed to add some weight to his frame and did not do well during the first training camp.  6th round developmental prospect.  We stashed him on the PS last year.  Resigned him beginning of '18.  So he'll get another chance.  The kid has the measurables but we'll see if he can crack the 53 this year.  Kid is athletic why they drafted him.  I always get excited on all the draft picks even the late round guys.  So didn't forget about him.  He's  a lottery ticket.  But you just never know who will come on.

43 minutes ago, Leader said:

Yeah - whats the deal with this guy? I never read or even hear his name in the mix of OL possibilities. Maybe I'm just reading and listening in the wrong places LOL

A good thing to remember about Amichia is that he was very highly rated (as a developmental guy) for his athleticism, a 9.71 RAS (Relative Athletic Score).   https://relativeathleticscores.com/2017/04/21/kofi-amichia-ras/

He was far too raw to be a factor any time soon, but he does have the measurables to be worth developing. I'm guessing this year is still too soon and next year will be the kicker, but what do I know - that isn't much more than a guess.

I remember the Harrell draft well. 

Meachem, Bowe, Rice, and Reggie Nelson were hot topics of discussion. Weddle  got some late hype as well.

As it turns out 9 Pro Bowlers were taken in the first round AFTER our selection at 14. I was thinking Revis, Ross, Hall in no particular order. After Revis was taken I was so convinced we would take Hall over Ross because he was a Michigan guy. I actually started writing down his name because I wanted to have an armchair moment - lol. We ended up not taking a CB the entire draft. 

I remember hearing that fans at the Atrium Draft Party even booed the Harrell pick. I think TT even joked about it. Brandon Jackson in the 2nd was another "who ?" moment.

6 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

Can someone talk up Davenport to me? So he runs through sub par competition, why is he worth a 1st?

Highest ceiling, but probably lowest floor. Is he the second coming of DeMarcus Ware or is he out of football after his rookie deal ?

8 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Highest ceiling, but probably lowest floor. Is he the second coming of DeMarcus Ware or is he out of football after his rookie deal ?

Well that's not true. He can play the run and he's a good athlete. Only way he'll be out of the league after his rookie deal would be because he got injured. 

He's got powerful hands and a violent play style. He's not going to get bullied in the trenches. If you're looking more for a "LB" over a "DE" I can see why he's not your cup of tea but there's definitely people with lower floors. His biggest question is if he can give NFL tackles enough to worry about around the edge during the PR. If he can't get the edge enough a lot of tackles will sit on him.

17 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

Can someone talk up Davenport to me? So he runs through sub par competition, why is he worth a 1st?

Daniel Jeremiah's write-up:

Davenport is a raw edge rusher with outstanding size, length and explosiveness. He aligned in a two-point stance for UTSA but could easily play with his hand in the ground as a 4-3 defensive end at the next level. As a pass rusher, he has a very quick first step and flashes the power to bull through tight ends and offensive tackles. He doesn't always have a game plan and that will lead to him stalling out if he doesn't win early in the down. His ability to bend and wrap around the edge is very impressive for his size. He's a little segmented right now, but once he gets his feet and hands to work together, he will emerge as a double-digit sack artist. In the run game, he dominates tight ends at the point of attack. His effort and speed from the back side is outstanding. Overall, Davenport isn't a finished product, but I'm bullish on his future because of his rare size, athleticism and effort.

What I take away from this: Davenport has all the things you cannot teach and flashes big-time ability when playing with the right technique. Coming from a small program, you can understand why he's not terribly well-coached, but that presents upside for us if we can get it out of him (if he were better coached, we wouldn't be able to get him at 14). What dooms athletic specimens at EDGE from reaching their potential is a poor motor (ala Vernon Gholson) but Davenport does not have that issue.

From a need/scheme standpoint, Pettine seems to employ the 4-3 Under, which is a lot like a 3-4 but the LEO edge-rusher is more like a 43 DE. I expect that to be Perry, but do not really have anyone else that projects favorably there and could use another.

Davenport being raw doesn't mean he won't contribute as a rookie. He'll probably be a rotational player early and backup the oft-injured Perry. By the time Perry's contract has an out, Davenport will be hitting his stride.

1 minute ago, Gopher Trace said:

Daniel Jeremiah's write-up:

What I take away from this: Davenport has all the things you cannot teach and flashes big-time ability when playing with the right technique. Coming from a small program, you can understand why he's not terribly well-coached, but that presents upside for us if we can get it out of him (if he were better coached, we wouldn't be able to get him at 14). What dooms athletic specimens at EDGE from reaching their potential is a poor motor (ala Vernon Gholson) but Davenport does not have that issue.

From a need/scheme standpoint, Pettine seems to employ the 4-3 Under, which is a lot like a 3-4 but the LEO edge-rusher is more like a 43 DE. I expect that to be Perry, but do not really have anyone else that projects favorably there and could use another.

Davenport being raw doesn't mean he won't contribute as a rookie. He'll probably be a rotational player early and backup the oft-injured Perry. By the time Perry's contract has an out, Davenport will be hitting his stride.

Good stuff dude, I guess I don’t see the explosiveness or the ability  to bend. 

13 minutes ago, chillparsi1 said:

Didn’t he also have a strong senior bowl?

He started slow but improved every day. I must admit it is an exaggeration that he might be out of the league in 4 years. His higher risk is at Edge

4 hours ago, cannondale said:

I remember the Harrell draft well.

The disappointing thing about Harrell is what he could have been.  He was a great DT, and possibly could have been what Ndamukong Suh was without all the antics.  The kid was incredibly talented.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

The disappointing thing about Harrell is what he could have been.  He was a great DT, and possibly could have been what Ndamukong Suh was without all the antics.  The kid was incredibly talented.

Nowhere near that talented. He could've been a Fairley maybe. Harrell's healthy junior season saw 8 TFL and 2.5 sacks. That was Suh's worst year at Nebraska. Athletically he wasn't close either. 

Archived