2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

22 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

I disagree. Sign House, get one CB early and we’ll have Tramon/House/King and a early round DP. That’s not terrible depth at all.

Doubling up on pass rushers early I wouldn’t be opposed to. I’m pretty high on Ejiofer from Wake.

Im hoping we get a EDGE, CB and WR early. Real early. 

Thanks for the Ejiofer tip, I'm gonna check him out a little. I know little about him. 

13 minutes ago, cooters22 said:

I'm actually more concerned about our corner situation than edge right now, but I have concern there too. I guess I think the Wilkerson addition is going to be huge; Perry coming back is fruitful hope; Biegel I think (hope) is going to bring it this year and get on the field and contribute; Matthews the hope is he gets a new fire lit with our new DC. Fackrell well no I won't plead a case for him, I just don't see anything out of him. Deep down I am hoping that we still draft Roquan Smith (not based off of need at all, only because I think he's just going to be that good), who added 6.5 sacks blitzing from the middle last year. We move guys around our defense all the time, why can't he be moved to the edge at times, instead of coming off the field? I also like the fact that I think he should be able to cover most TE's.  But yes we could use some young fresh talent there. I guess so many teams are running out 5,6,7 db's at a time now that I hope we just add some talent there. I didn't see much out of House at all. Are we certain he's even coming back at this point and time? Tramon worries me only because of his age, he's going to lose it sooner or later. That all being said we'll probably go G, WR and TE with our first 3 picks. 

I understand your reasoning but do not agree.

Perry and Clay are made out of glass. My trust in them staying healthy is not strong. I do not see any depth behind them either. Biegel has shown nothing and Fackrell has shown enough to be considered next to worthless.

I really want a vet and a high draft pick for both positions . Give me House and idk maybe Dumerville with a 1st, 2nd round rookie and I’ll be content. 

1 hour ago, pollino14 said:

I understand your reasoning but do not agree.

Perry and Clay are made out of glass. My trust in them staying healthy is not strong. I do not see any depth behind them either. Biegel has shown nothing and Fackrell has shown enough to be considered next to worthless.

I really want a vet and a high draft pick for both positions . Give me House and idk maybe Dumerville with a 1st, 2nd round rookie and I’ll be content. 

I think this is a good and deep db class, and not so with EDGE so that dictates things more than anything. Don't get me wrong, EDGE is a position of concern for me too. 

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I would literally die if we did that. 

Would you be opposed to dying together?

If Ward, James, Minkah, Davenport, Landry all go top 13 (which I doubt), I will throw things around my room. I don't even like Landry or Davenport that much either. 

I like LVE but I don't really see it at 14. I don't like Roquon enough to spend a 1st on him. I don't value the WLB position enough

I guess Vea would be my choice then? Build on your strengths? 

18 hours ago, Lodestar said:

I feel the same way. But if 14 rolls around and none of the top D prospects have fallen (Ward, Fitzpatrick, Edmunds) then I would happily trade down to 23 and get a guy like Landry or LVE. I'd probably want one of those guys at 23 if we were forced to make the pick, so trading down and getting an extra CB/WR/LB in the 1st is a great move.

I think I agree with this. This secondary needs major upgrades. Kevin King is the only piece I feel good about, and he's not even healthy. Going CB/LB/WR in rounds 1 and 2 seems like a better option than going CB/LB or CB/WR.

Does anyone have a good feel on the "tiers" of the CB and LB classes? Is there a huge dropoff?

CB/DB

Tier 1

D. Ward

D. James

M. Fitz

Tier 2

J. Jackson

C. Davis

J. Alexandar

M. Hughes

I. Oliver

LB

Tier 1

N. Chubb

M. Davenport

T. Edmunds

Tier 2 

H. Landry

R. Evans

R. Smith

L. Carter

LVE

I suppose it depends on how you feel. Does this team lack talent or depth? To me it feels like depth is what hurts us the most, and one stud may not fix that. I think it'd be better to fortify the back end, considering the CB and LB corps has one "long term" starter you feel good about (King and Perry, if you assume that Clay is on the back end of his career).

The same goes for the offense. Jordy has been replaced by Graham, but how long will he be around? If Adams sits out with a concussion, what is your offensive gameplan? It seems wise to spend a higher pick on the WR/TE corps too.

10 hours ago, MNPackfan32 said:

Interested to see if we double up on EDGE Rushers this draft. Davenport/Landry at 14, then a guy like Ogbonnia Okoronkwo or Genard Avery later on. I'm done with Kyler Fackrell. Clay is soon to be 32. Time to really add depth and get another impact guy, do what we can to cover up the secondary.

I think your "double up" has merit, but corner and WR are more pressing needs to me.

I think that Biegle has potential...fingers crossed on him....

5 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I think your "double up" has merit, but corner and WR are more pressing needs to me.

I am pretty bullish on Biegel going into the season. He has almost an exact athletic profile to Clay (see below) and on top of that Jim Leonhard is a Pettine disciple. So he should have a head start on the system. 

Vince Biegel/Clay Matthews III
HT: 6031/6031
WT: 246/240
40: 4.67/4.67
3 Cone: 6.92/6.9
Sacks as a senior: 4/4.5

58 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

Does anyone have a good feel on the "tiers" of the CB and LB classes? Is there a huge dropoff?

CB/DB

Tier 1  D. Ward, D. James, M. Fitz

Tier 2 J. Jackson, C. Davis, J. Alexandar, M. Hughes, I. Oliver

If you are talking DB rather than CB, Justin Reid should be added to the second tier. Maybe Ronnie Harrison as well. Overall, how you see the tiers is the same as I see them.

Don't see any WR's worth taking up high.  Not a good year for them.  Antonio Calloway is one I like but is a problem child.  Would have to dig into his situation to see if he is even draftable.  Kid has talent and could get him late.  I'd at least do my homework on the him.  If he got a bad rap ok or maybe he's just a bad kid.  Really don't know. Think if Davenport is available he'll be the pick at 14.  They will look for a CB in round 2 Oliver would be great.  That's my ideal scenario however a could go a number of different ways.  TE or OL also possible.  

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I get wanting to add talent at CB, but WR? Idk. We have Adams, Cobb and Graham. At some point you gotta be straight up with Rodgers and say "We are building a defense. We have committed a ton of money to you, so it's your job to make guys like Geronimo Allison or DeAngelo Yancey look like legit options." 

We have way too much money invested in pass catchers the way it is. If we want to win while paying Aaron, invest in the defense and tell him to make chicken salad out of chicken schidt with the pass catchers. That, or take less money.

3 hours ago, TheBitzMan said:

I am pretty bullish on Biegel going into the season. He has almost an exact athletic profile to Clay (see below) and on top of that Jim Leonhard is a Pettine disciple. So he should have a head start on the system. 

Vince Biegel/Clay Matthews III
HT: 6031/6031
WT: 246/240
40: 4.67/4.67
3 Cone: 6.92/6.9
Sacks as a senior: 4/4.5

Then you realize Clay had a 1.49 10 yard split and this comparison starts to fall apart. 

not sure how, but I see Gesicki becoming a Packer, maybe he can even play WR for us. You know Mac would love running 2 TE personnel only to split both out wide and take advantage of mismatches.

Maybe a trade down, grab him and Jackson from LSU .....late 1sts/early 2nds.....

51 minutes ago, MNPackfan32 said:

I get wanting to add talent at CB, but WR? Idk. We have Adams, Cobb and Graham. At some point you gotta be straight up with Rodgers and say "We are building a defense. We have committed a ton of money to you, so it's your job to make guys like Geronimo Allison or DeAngelo Yancey look like legit options." 

We have way too much money invested in pass catchers the way it is. If we want to win while paying Aaron, invest in the defense and tell him to make chicken salad out of chicken schidt with the pass catchers. That, or take less money.

Adams has a few concussions under him already...Cobb is probably not back after this next season.  Graham, well, he's an unknown for us.  Allison is low end talent, Davis hasn't shown much as a WR and Clark is a project.

Yah, they need some young talent to develop at WR.  Depending on Allison for the future would be a mistake.

I see quite a few nice fits for GB as far as WR's go in rounds 2-4.  In fact, I dare say that a lot of the guys there have a lot more talent than anything on the roster after Cobb right now....

Archived