2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

Thoughts on these prospects as players in the "Star" role? These are some guys I've read about that could potentially be good fits.

Jessie Bates

Justin Reid

Quenton Meeks

Rashaan Gaulden

Kameron Kelly

Duke Dawson

MJ Stewart

Dane Cruikshank

Josh Kalu

Anthony Averett

Nick Nelson

Siran Neal

Tavarius Moore

Armani Watts

Deshon Elliot

Yeah I'm gonna take the guy who can bend the edge over the guy who can bull rush. The bend is rarer than the bull. And all of the perennial 10+ sack guys can bend.

edit: bull rush guy will usually have a little longer career tho.

14 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Yeah I'm gonna take the guy who can bend the edge over the guy who can bull rush. The bend is rarer than the bull. And all of the perennial 10+ sack guys can bend.

edit: bull rush guy will usually have a little longer career tho.

Good points.   Also feel some added physical maturation will help the bull rush potential vs the bend is harder to acquire over time.

1 hour ago, Lieker said:

Thoughts on these prospects as players in the "Star" role? These are some guys I've read about that could potentially be good fits.

Jessie Bates

Justin Reid

Quenton Meeks

Rashaan Gaulden

Kameron Kelly

Duke Dawson

MJ Stewart

Dane Cruikshank

Josh Kalu

Anthony Averett

Nick Nelson

Siran Neal

Tavarius Moore

Armani Watts

Deshon Elliot

I’ve heard good things about Cruikshank. Seems like he’ll be in demand based on his h/w/#s and special teams potential. Nick Nelson really played well for the Badgers and he’s fast. 

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Good points.   Also feel some added physical maturation will help the bull rush potential vs the bend is harder to acquire over time.

Usually if they can't beat college tackles with bend, they aren't going to figure out how to against the best in the world.

I think of pass rushes in thirds. Tackles outside shoulder (speed), square on Tackle (power) and Tackles inside shoulder (usually a counter or power). The outside third is useless you can bend or have an incredible first step/get off. You just end up taking yourself out of the play. The middle and inside shoulder are more likely to effect a play but less likely to result in a difference making play...

I think we all want more difference making plays as we have plenty of guys who can currently get handled in their gap by a Tackle.

28 minutes ago, blueswedeshoes said:

I’ve heard good things about Cruikshank. Seems like he’ll be in demand based on his h/w/#s and special teams potential. Nick Nelson really played well for the Badgers and he’s fast. 

I think we showed some interest in Cruikshank too. Explosive workout numbers. Solid size too. 

Nelson had a ton of passes defended this year. Solid combine. Borderline elite 3-Cone.

10 hours ago, Joe said:

I don't like Davenport or Landry, but would rather take Landry in a heartbeat for this reason alone. Landry's actually shown he can be explosive, yet he's been inconsistent. Davenport has played against a lower level of competition and has proven he has very little explosion; not to mention the fact that he's easily stood up and knocked back...

This sounds crazy to me. Davenport dominated lowed competition and was great in the senior bowl against NFL comp. he had great explosiveness against the best in college and was not knocked around. Don’t know where you felt you saw that.

The 'Star' position

Saban had this to say about the Star way back in 2012.

Saban looks for certain qualities in a Star. “You can be a really good Star and not have the long speed to be a good corner,” he said. “Long speed being that if a guy runs a takeoff on you, you have to run and not get out-run when the ball is in the air.

“If you have really good quickness and cover ability, the slot guy (receiver) has a hard time beating you in that position, because he's closer to the safeties, he's closer to the middle of the field. So a good tackler, a good blitzer, a good cover guy on a slot player, which is different than a good cover guy on an outside player.”

7 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

This sounds crazy to me. Davenport dominated lowed competition and was great in the senior bowl against NFL comp. he had great explosiveness against the best in college and was not knocked around. Don’t know where you felt you saw that.

I don’t see the explosiveness personally. And if he’s explosive, we better find another synonym to describe Landry, because Landry’s on a different tier than Davenport in terms of explosiveness.

I have confidence our guys can teach Landry the art of being a complete pass rusher. He can also gain some good weight in a nfl program. You cannot teach what Landry has though. 

@Lieker  @blueswedeshoes 

Some of the guys you listed, like Tarvarius Moore., Anthony Averett and Siran Neal, look like they would be happier as boundary corners, due to being tall, slim, with sub 4.4 speed (Moore, Averett) or being a good bump and run guy (Neal). Moore especially, screams boundary corner, going by his loose hips, size and speed (6'2", 190 lb, 4.32 40).

Others like Rashaan Gaulden, M.J.Stewart, and maybe Armani Watts (if his tackling improves) may not have 4.3x speed, but they have the burst you need to cover inside, can read and react, can blanket cover and tackle. I think it helps if you have a physical nature, since you will be facing RBs and TEs, as well.

Archived