2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

41 minutes ago, ArthurPensky said:

Does House/Tramon give us anything in the tea leaves to think Gutey is positioning himself to make a move for a pass rusher and get a CB a little later? Stand pat and take BPA rusher at 14 or as Dougherty pointed out that if Chubb were to fall to 6 or so, a trade with #45 could get you to 6 if they were willing.

If Chubb is there at 6 and for some reason Indy wants to pass on im, do you do 14 + 45 for #6? That's what Dallas gave up to get Claiborne (lol). I think id do it.

I'd rather just stand pat and draft Landry. 

Landry > Chubb IMO. 

1 hour ago, hitnhope said:

More likely in my mind is that they see WR as an early must get.

Gute doesn't want to look bad in dumping Jordy.   He needs to plan for being without Cobb as well next year.   I believe the Packers are going into the draft thinking they have to get a #3 WR this year who will be good enough to start next year.

Are you advocating for a........ 1ST RD RECEIVER?????

caution_warning_sign_sticker-650x800.jpg

It's time for the draft to be done now.

3 hours ago, cannondale said:

I am starting to wonder if Gute thinks it's the opposite, and for good reason. House and Tramon are stopgaps. Perry and Matthews are not. Neither House or Tramon are #1 corners and it remains to be seen if either are capable of being #2 for an entire season. While there are injury concerns, both Perry and Matthews are starting caliber players and front offices are eager to trust the likes of a Biegel. 

I've alluded to this before. While it would be nice to get an edge to compliment this year and replace Matthews in a year, we don't know that Gute feels the same way. The CB situation is quite different and more concerning. It's not even close. As a matter of fact, Gute may even see OT as more of a need than Edge when you really think about it

Well, Matthews will be a free agent next year

2 hours ago, TransientTexan said:

Well, Matthews will be a free agent next year

Indeed.

It would be interesting to pull up some of the draft/scouting stuff on Matthews for some pre-draft perspective. He'd only started for a year, was rumored to be juicing and dropped all the way to 26 before the Packers traded up to snag him back in 2009.

6 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Indeed.

It would be interesting to pull up some of the draft/scouting stuff on Matthews for some pre-draft perspective. He'd only started for a year, was rumored to be juicing and dropped all the way to 26 before the Packers traded up to snag him back in 2009.

Per NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/clay-matthews?id=80431): 

While teammates Rey Maualuga and Brian Cushing certainly earned more attention throughout their respective careers, it is the former walk-on Matthews Jr. who some scouts feel ultimately could be the best of the bunch. Considering he came to USC as a 166-pound linebacker and tight end with only Idaho offering him a D-I scholarship, his rise to stardom has been remarkable.

A special teams standout early in his career, Matthews didn't emerge as a starter until three games into his senior campaign. Showing burst off the snap as a hybrid defensive end and surprising fluidity and instincts in coverage, Matthews posted 56 tackles and finished third on the team in tackles for loss (9.5) and second in sacks (4.5).

A strong performance at the Senior Bowl had scouts buzzing about his upside, especially considering his family's gridiron success. Considering he has only started 10 games over his career, there isn't a prospect in the country who can match Matthews' meteoric rise up draft boards this year.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Positives: Ascending player who may be just scratching the surface of his potential. Well-built athlete whose dedication in the weight-room is obvious in his physique. Reliable open-field tackler. Versatile defender who flashes as a natural pass rusher off the edge. Good speed upfield and has the balance and burst to redirect his rush. Good initial hand punch to pop the blocker and disengage. Good effort and speed in pursuit. Instinctive defender who played well in space as a traditional linebacker. Excellent special teams player. Twice named co-special teams player of the year (2005, 2006). Excellent bloodlines. Father, Clay, played 19 seasons at linebacker and made the Pro Bowl four times. Uncle, Bruce, made the Pro Bowl 14 times and was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2007. Grandfather, also named Clay, played for the 49ers in the 1950s. Pac-10 Academic All-American with a 3.06 GPA in international relations. Negatives: Has less than a full season as a starter and only 10 career starts -- all in 2008. Surrounded by so much talent at USC that holes in his game could have been disguised. Lacks the bulk to remain at defensive end. Prefers to run around blocks rather than take them on. While he improved as the year went on, remains a work in progress in disengaging from blocks. Suffered broken left thumb against Nebraska, then fractured a metacarpal later in season, then had to have surgery after the bowl game as it did not heal properly.

3 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

Are you advocating for a........ 1ST RD RECEIVER?????

caution_warning_sign_sticker-650x800.jpg

It's time for the draft to be done now.

Not a chance.  I just think they will pick a receiver in the first 3 rounds.   I'm not sure I would pick one in the first two if I were pulling the trigger.

7 hours ago, ArthurPensky said:

Does House/Tramon give us anything in the tea leaves to think Gutey is positioning himself to make a move for a pass rusher and get a CB a little later? Stand pat and take BPA rusher at 14 or as Dougherty pointed out that if Chubb were to fall to 6 or so, a trade with #45 could get you to 6 if they were willing.

If Chubb is there at 6 and for some reason Indy wants to pass on im, do you do 14 + 45 for #6? That's what Dallas gave up to get Claiborne (lol). I think id do it.

There's a good chance that one of the top 4 QBs is still available at 6, so I'd have to imagine that a QB-needy team would be willing to pay significantly more than what the Packers would be willing to deal.

more on the LVE medical reports here from Pro Football Weekly

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2018/04/16/way-we-hear-it-combine-medical-report-disputes-leighton-vander-esch-concerns/a45fktj/

"PFW obtained a copy of the medical report from the NFL scouting combine showing that Vander Esch was given a passing grade for his health and was not asked to come back to the April medical re-check in Indianapolis, which very commonly happens when initial tests are concerning or inconclusive.

...It appears the more concerning injury was actually a neck impingement Vander Esch suffered in September of that year in a game against Oregon State and initially was diagnosed as a concussion "

1 hour ago, HighCalebR said:

I'm so ready to be angry about Gute's first draft after he bucks conventional TT wisdoms. Firegute permanently open to keep the hate juices flowing. Bowl or bust right?

I honestly think this forum will catch on fire.

8 minutes ago, Pilprin said:

WR's That I would like to see in GB.... Miller, Fountain, Pettus, Chark, Gallop,Weah, and Hamilton.

All over the map by round, but very interesting group 

My 100% ideal draft...

1. Harold Landry
2. Anthony Miller
3. Isaac Yiadom

I'm just incredibly high on Yiadom. Does anyone know if he meets our thresholds? I'll be disappointed if he doesn't.

2 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

My 100% ideal draft...

1. Harold Landry
2. Anthony Miller
3. Isaac Yiadom

I'm just incredibly high on Yiadom. Does anyone know if he meets our thresholds? I'll be disappointed if he doesn't.

Which game are you watching that has led you to be so high on Yiadom?

2 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

Here is the profile for Yiadom.  Seems to meet the thresholds, though the 40 time is a bit on the edge of things I think.

Combine Results
 Pro Day Results
Combine Invite: Yes
Height: 6007
Weight: 190
40 Yrd Dash: 4.52
20 Yrd Dash: 2.65
10 Yrd Dash: 1.57
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 08
Vertical Jump: 
Broad Jump: 10'00"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.18
3-Cone Drill: 
No Full Workout-Choice

Dates: 03/21/18 
Height: 6007
Weight: 190
40 Yrd Dash: 4.56
20 Yrd Dash: 2.63
10 Yrd Dash: 1.53
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 
Vertical Jump: 34 1/2
Broad Jump: 10'00"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.23
3-Cone Drill: 6.85

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Which game are you watching that has led you to be so high on Yiadom?

Just like his overall profile, I guess. He's a disciplined player with sound technique and is a good enough athlete to play on Sundays.

There's a lot more toolsy types higher in the draft but that means investing more draft capital in them. If we can get Yiadom in the 4th compared to Davis in the 2nd, I'd be far happier. Especially with Miller likely to be on the board at 45.

Archived