2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Good news is liquor stores still may be open after our pick if Gute goes and blows it on an OL.

I don't see a real way that Gute takes an OL in the 1st round.  The only OL the Packers have taken under TT/Gute was Sherrod and Bulaga, and both were viewed as LT prospects.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I don't see a real way that Gute takes an OL in the 1st round.  The only OL the Packers have taken under TT/Gute was Sherrod and Bulaga, and both were viewed as LT prospects.

Bulaga was a LT in college but most scouts viewed him as a RT in the league. 

23 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Maybe @Forge can say otherwise, but I feel like the two names that have been linked heavily to the Niners have been Tremaine Edmunds and Mike McGlinchey.  I know there's been rumblings that Minkah Fitzpatrick is up there as well.

Those are the three with the most traction. Pauline has said multiple times that we covet Edmunds, but admits that we love Minkah. There's reports that we love Minkah from other sources as well, and I still think his visit, which covered 2 days rather than a standard 1, is worth mentioning because I think it's atypical. The McGlinchey thing is weird - we have never so much as met with him even at the combine / pro days so far as I know, and we never worked him out (while we did Miller). McGlinchey would seem like a poor fit, but it got this weird traction in mock drafts the past two days, but then they started switching back. I have to believe the McGlinchey thing was a false leak. 

If I were a betting man and we stick at 9, I think the pick is Minkah. Edmunds would probably be next because he would slide into a spot where we actually have a hole. Roquan makes some sense, but with Foster still in play, and Malcolm Smith lined up at WILL (we spent all that money on him after all), I don't know where he fits immediately in comparison to Edmunds. 

31 minutes ago, Leader said:

The Niners huge need for a LB may be lessened somewhat based on todays revelations that the accuser of battery and domestic violence against Rueben Foster has recanted her charges. I dont know who else they have at LB (or what needs they have overall) but his problems certainly could have made them select Edmunds. Now - maybe they wont.

Although I might want GB to nab Edmunds - I recognize he's not a clean fit for our much discussed (and pressing) needs. Hence, although I think him an exceptional talent and 3 down player - I dont see him coming our way.  So - I'm just hoping they get someone of similar talent.

The thing with Edmunds is that it's most likely that in our defense, he'd slot in as a pass rushing SAM I would imagine - similar to Bruce Irvin when he went to the Seahawks. That is actually a position we have an opening at. Foster plays MIKE, Malcolm Smith at WILL. The current SAM linebackers we have are Cassius Marsh (who also plays the edge), Dakota Watson (mainly for special teams), and Eli Harold, who we have said we plan at playing at LEO. So I don't think that Foster affects Edmunds - it could affect Roquan. 

12 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Fast, tall, long and twisty guys may not be the most physical, but physical guys may not be fast, tall, long, and twisty. Hows that for mud ? Just give me a guy that can cover.

He ran 4.5 at the combine, not terribly fast IMO, soft and slow, no thanks.

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

Those are the three with the most traction. Pauline has said multiple times that we covet Edmunds, but admits that we love Minkah. There's reports that we love Minkah from other sources as well, and I still think his visit, which covered 2 days rather than a standard 1, is worth mentioning because I think it's atypical. The McGlinchey thing is weird - we have never so much as met with him even at the combine / pro days so far as I know, and we never worked him out (while we did Miller). McGlinchey would seem like a poor fit, but it got this weird traction in mock drafts the past two days, but then they started switching back. I have to believe the McGlinchey thing was a false leak. 

If I were a betting man and we stick at 9, I think the pick is Minkah. Edmunds would probably be next because he would slide into a spot where we actually have a hole. Roquan makes some sense, but with Foster still in play, and Malcolm Smith lined up at WILL (we spent all that money on him after all), I don't know where he fits immediately in comparison to Edmunds. 

Good post. Thanks.

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

The thing with Edmunds is that it's most likely that in our defense, he'd slot in as a pass rushing SAM I would imagine - similar to Bruce Irvin when he went to the Seahawks. That is actually a position we have an opening at. Foster plays MIKE, Malcolm Smith at WILL. The current SAM linebackers we have are Cassius Marsh (who also plays the edge), Dakota Watson (mainly for special teams), and Eli Harold, who we have said we plan at playing at LEO. So I don't think that Foster affects Edmunds - it could affect Roquan. 

I read this post after the other.....and now you're bumming me out LOL :)

Archived