2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

I'll preface this by saying I'm not a scout and haven't had much time to watch anything, so my comments are  based on what I've read online.

Let's say Chubb is taken, and Key is off the board for off the field issues. Besides Harold - it doesn't sound like there are many EDGE options who could be value at the pick. So do we look CB? I've seen Joshua Jackson and Denzel Ward in picks. DL isn't a need, but if there's someone who can give us some rush to spell Lowry and/or replace Daniels in a few years, it's gotta merit a look right?

On 12/19/2017 at 8:26 AM, Dubz41 said:

John Brown AZ - pass

Allen Robinson JAX  torn ACL early this year. Intriguing. Injury question might keep price down.  Thumbs up.

Sammy Watkins  LAR  hot and cold. All the tools.  I'd vote yes.  We have no one with his skill set.

Jarvis Landry  MIA  not a #1. I'd rather not see us spend money on another 'not fast' WR

Thanks, Dubz. Of that list I like Brown and Watson. I'd sign them both! The Packers' receiving corps is that bad due to age and injuries. 

9 hours ago, chillparsi1 said:

I'll preface this by saying I'm not a scout and haven't had much time to watch anything, so my comments are  based on what I've read online.

Let's say Chubb is taken, and Key is off the board for off the field issues. Besides Harold - it doesn't sound like there are many EDGE options who could be value at the pick. So do we look CB? I've seen Joshua Jackson and Denzel Ward in picks. DL isn't a need, but if there's someone who can give us some rush to spell Lowry and/or replace Daniels in a few years, it's gotta merit a look right?

I'm not as high on Jackson as most. Ward is a really good player but some will knock him because of his height. Jaire Alexander has the ball skills but I think he can play a bit soft and I think he's probably just an average athlete. Isaiah Oliver has a little mix of everything. Should have plus height/length, decent ball skills and a high end athlete. 

Agree with your observation.  I really don't care for Landry, I think he'd be a reach at 16.  If Key and Chubb are gone I think the next front seven candidates are Ferrell and Wilkins from Clemson.  Of those two I like Wilkins. He destroyed Miami in the ACCCG.  6'4" 310. He could start inside or DE for us.  Big upgrade over Lowry.  There are actually a few EDGE guys that will be available in the second round.  When you start looking at where we are picking it is kind of no man's land.  Does Derwin James start coming into play?  Not many people have safety as a need, but do you pass on BPA for need? James seems like a future ALL Pro.

15 minutes ago, MNPackfan32 said:

I'm not as high on Jackson as most. Ward is a really good player but some will knock him because of his height. Jaire Alexander has the ball skills but I think he can play a bit soft and I think he's probably just an average athlete. Isaiah Oliver has a little mix of everything. Should have plus height/length, decent ball skills and a high end athlete. 

Too bad last year was a deep draft with productive pass rushers going in the 4th and we didn't get one of them...

But yeah, I am absolutely not opposed to grabbing a corner in the mid first, like Denzel Ward. Little shorter than Ted will want, but King is a giant so 

42 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

Too bad last year was a deep draft with productive pass rushers going in the 4th and we didn't get one of them...

But yeah, I am absolutely not opposed to grabbing a corner in the mid first, like Denzel Ward. Little shorter than Ted will want, but King is a giant so 

The EDGE guys should be decent this year. Mata'Afa, Ejiofor, Armstrong, plus more. The combine will help separate some of these guys, I don't see a Myles Garrett type prospect, but they don't come along every year. 

11 minutes ago, MNPackfan32 said:

The EDGE guys should be decent this year. Mata'Afa, Ejiofor, Armstrong, plus more. The combine will help separate some of these guys, I don't see a Myles Garrett type prospect, but they don't come along every year. 

Sweat is Myles Garrett with half of a knee. :/

14 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

Clelin Ferrell 6'5" 265 LBS 4.75 Forty.

Strengths: Size is obvious. Power matches size. Quick first step. Effective inside stunt. Hussle is there. Flashes ability to finish with his hands.

Weaknesses: Not an obvious bender but uses power effectively to get to the spot. Few too many sacks resulted from coverage, surrounding cast. Total liability in coverage.

I don't see Ferrell as a fit in Green Bay. I think he'd be most effective as a 3Tech in a 43 where he can use his first step and power to penetrate. 

I don't understand/like the "fit" comment. Dom has to be shown the door. Any new guy coming in should or could run some type of different scheme. So until that happens how do we know if he "fits" our scheme. We have guys on our defense that maybe would be better in a 4-3 defense. Our two inside tackles maybe, Clay I think would. Could Perry be a 4-3 end? 

41 minutes ago, cooters22 said:

I don't understand/like the "fit" comment. Dom has to be shown the door. Any new guy coming in should or could run some type of different scheme. So until that happens how do we know if he "fits" our scheme. We have guys on our defense that maybe would be better in a 4-3 defense. Our two inside tackles maybe, Clay I think would. Could Perry be a 4-3 end? 

I don't know Clay is a better fit in a 43 at all, but I believe Perry certainly fits well.

24 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

I don't know Clay is a better fit in a 43 at all, but I believe Perry certainly fits well.

I think Clay fits fine as an off ball LB on the weakside.  He can be used to blitz from various spots, good in coverage.  Athletic enough to chase plays down.  He played well enough as a ILB in the 3-4 which is an off ball LB similar to a 4-3 LB on the outside

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

I think Clay fits fine as an off ball LB on the weakside.  He can be used to blitz from various spots, good in coverage.  Athletic enough to chase plays down.  He played well enough as a ILB in the 3-4 which is an off ball LB similar to a 4-3 LB on the outside

Better though? Better was my disagreement.

14 hours ago, chillparsi1 said:

If we aren't looking at EDGE, we have to look towards the DL. Our secondary has looked bad for the past two years simply because they've been banged up and our front-7 can't create pressure. If we could get a pass rush, we'd stop talking about using high picks on yet another CB when we've used 3 first or second round picks on the position over the past three years and none of them have proven to be Ahmad Carroll or Antuan Edwards...

My vote is for Chubb as well, but does anyone have any opinions on Hubbard? Seems like the elephant type of OLB we'd be looking for and if we moved back to a 4-3, he could easily slide in there as well. 

3 hours ago, cooters22 said:

Find me Ferrell's NFL position. He's got DT power and finesse. He's got 43DE/ 34OLB size.

Let's play "we switch to 43".

Same players in a three point instead of a 2 point stance. 

1 hour ago, ChaRisMa said:

Find me Ferrell's NFL position. He's got DT power and finesse. He's got 43DE/ 34OLB size.

Let's play "we switch to 43".

Same players in a three point instead of a 2 point stance. 

I'm not a football expert by any stretch of the imagination, but, from what I've observed all season, it looks like the Packers are playing a 42 defense with five defensive backs and the two DE's (Perry and CMIII) are standing up instead of putting their hands on the ground. Maybe someone can explain what's the difference if the two DE's are standing up, or have their hands on the ground?

Archived