2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Not saying we should have drafted Jones over Spriggs because that would be hindsight. I thought Spriggs was a steal and Jones was more of a 3rd round guy. But, leaving the draft question aside, saying Spriggs has been as good of a pick as Jones is beyond crazy. Jones is arguably the staple of ATLs defense. Spriggs was stuggling to block 4th string DEs in the preseason this year. 

And after coming back from injury, was obviously a much better player. It's pretty likely he was struggling physically in the preseason. He looked good later.

18 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Not one of us wouldve wanted Jones over Spriggs on draft day. I had Spriggs graded as a 1st rounder. He was a top 25 player.

Josh Jones is a better athlete than Deion, give him some time.

Speak for yourself, I'd have taken Jones any day of the week over Spriggs. And I was tickled pink when we drafted Spriggs. At the senior bowl practices he really looked good, and he has the frame that you should be able to make a stud LT out of. But I was and still am amazingly high on Deon Jones.

9 minutes ago, spilltray said:

And after coming back from injury, was obviously a much better player. It's pretty likely he was struggling physically in the preseason. He looked good later.

Indeed, he did. My point is that I see Spriggs as a backup right tackle after 2 years, maybe a future starter. I think Deion Jones is a star after 2 years in the league. 

20 minutes ago, spilltray said:

Deion Jones is a nice player, but Spriggs is better.

Debatable. One is a bonafide NFL starter and the other is a backup that hasn't done well when called upon so far.

There is a pretty short list of teams that actually use those guys. It's not like the Packers are horribly outdated.

At least half of the NFL teams already play an oversized safety or undersized linebacker in hybrid roles with varying levels of success. Off the top of my head there's Kam Chancellor, Deion Jones, Shaz Thompson, George Iloka, Deone Bucannon, Mark Barron, Myles Jack, Telvin Smith, Ryan Shazier, Sua Cravens, Darron Lee. That 10 teams already and im sure there's more.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I absolutely HATED the idea of the Packers taking a very undersized LB, and putting him in our defense and my opinion hasn't really changed as much.  He's going to get lost in the mess, and given that a 34 defense asks their ILBs to take on blockers more than a 43 defense I've got little doubt that he would have significant issues with run defense.  I'd take Blake Martinez in the 4th over Deion Jones in the 2nd in a heartbeat.

Doing a round comparison is a difficult thing to do. Either way to get Deion Jones we'd still would have had to trade up over Atlanta to get him. I doubt Ted ever would have done that for a non-pass rushing LB. I like Blake Martinez, whereas I love Deion Jones. Blake makes solid plays, Deion makes makes amazing plays time to time. If you make a comparison of grabbing this player X in round #, I think it's better to make a comparison of hey we got player X in round 2 and Blake in 4, compared to Deion Jones in round 2 and player Y in round 4.

2 hours ago, spilltray said:

Holding a candle? After his rookie year? Deion Jones is a nice player, but Spriggs is better. There are those types of guys every year and GB got one a year later. 

I disagree with pretty much all of this.  I honestly can't imagine how someone could evaluate Spriggs as a better NFL player than Deion Jones regardless of whether we are talking today or a year ago.  Suggesting that GB got the same type of player a year later in Josh Jones is equally odd to me.  Josh Jones may have similar physical traits, but he has not shown himself to be anything close to a similar player.

That being said, I can't pretend that I was upset about the Spriggs pick when it was made.  I was pretty happy with it.

2 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

Who are the 2nd and even 3rd day OLB’s and CB’s that people like? Guys that will last past the 1st and or 2nd round. 

JaVon Rolland-Jones is a high producer out of Arkansas State. Decent bend, good pop, intuitive player. I've watched a few other guys and he stands out the most of the later round guys.

Andrew Brown out of Virginia as an Elephant/5 Tech looks like a good prospect to me.

I haven't gotten into much for the CB's yet

Archived