Coordinator News and Rumors

WindyCity

Looking into Helfrich he is a 2x QB coach of the year in the NCAA...with two separate QBs...Darron Thomas in 2010 who started camp as a 3rd string and ended up in a national championship game...and Marcus Mariota in 2012 who have obviously went on to be a good NFL QB...good news on the Trubisky front.

49 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Looking into Helfrich he is a 2x QB coach of the year in the NCAA...with two separate QBs...Darron Thomas in 2010 who started camp as a 3rd string and ended up in a national championship game...and Marcus Mariota in 2012 who have obviously went on to be a good NFL QB...good news on the Trubisky front.

The QB incubator.

@PatrickMannelly

Chris Tabor is the real deal. One of my favorite coaches I ever played for. He coached thru 5 GM’s and 4 head coaches in Cleveland. They wouldn’t let him go. #Bears are lucky to get him.

Great point from Mannelly.

51 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

When the F are we going to resign Fangio. It's been the longest contract negotiation. 

Apparently Fangio and his camp are frustrating the Bears with how long they are taking.   Talk is that Fangio is playing hardball on the $$$ and contract situation.  Sometimes these negotiations can take long but I think Bears should pay whatever it takes to retain Fangio, so long as it does not exceed what the HC is set to make.

Rumor has it that Fangio may look to join Shurmur if he gets the AZ job or maybe he is waiting to see what happens with the Giants job.

Bettcher sounds like a very viable plan B for the Bears at this point.

55 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

When the F are we going to resign Fangio. It's been the longest contract negotiation. 

I think the parameters have to be reached by Friday for the Bears, or you have to walk away.  4 more teams worth of coaches are going to be available after the weekend and the dominos may really start to fall

10 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Apparently Fangio and his camp are frustrating the Bears with how long they are taking.   Talk is that Fangio is playing hardball on the $$$ and contract situation.  Sometimes these negotiations can take long but I think Bears should pay whatever it takes to retain Fangio, so long as it does not exceed what the HC is set to make.

Rumor has it that Fangio may look to join Shurmur if he gets the AZ job or maybe he is waiting to see what happens with the Giants job.

Bettcher sounds like a very viable plan B for the Bears at this point.

I would be happy to swap those guys around if Fangio doesn't want to be here.

So thrilled that the Helfrich rumor proved to be true. He's a guy I'd wanted the Bears to consider way back when they eventually got Fox, since at the time Oregon was doing even better offensively after Chip had left. He was the real brains behind that team's offensive success and probably fits best as an OC. He's supposed to be an incredibly intelligent guy. 

One curious player we might end up looking at now is DeAnthony Thomas, who was under both Helfrich (Oregon)  and Nagy (KC Chiefs).. Beyond that, I'm expecting a massive infusion of WR speed coming our way in general. Gonna be real interesting to see how this all unfolds, but I am already massively more excited for this season than I was expecting to be.... Now let's hope we can just nail the DC position worth either Betcher or Fangio (and I'd actually prefer Betcher for more aggressive looks) 

15 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

Hub also still wears a earring on his left ear. Does he actually have any sources?!

I don't know about you but to me this report from Hub actually sounds believable.  As I mentioned earlier, I read a tweet from someone in the know who said that Fangio is posturing in an attempt to negotiate a better deal.  This is normal.  He is 59 years old and may never get a shot at a HC position in the NFL.  If I were him I'd be doing the same in an attempt to get as much money as I could as it could be a while before he is in a position like this again to negotiate a deal.  Relax people.

6 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I really like the hire of Mark Helfirch.

The Kansas City Chiefs run a system that is a mashup of a ton of different systems and styles and it made them very difficult to play against. They run west coast, spread, RPO, multiple option packages.

I like the idea of having a ton of different ideas in the room and coming up with the best and most innovative system possible. The Bears have never done that. They have never been "cutting edge" offensively.

Gary Crowton didn't succeed and fans hated him, but his team was terrible.  Who was it Cade McNown and Curtis Enis?  Monumental busts.  

He probably wasn't first to ever run it (who knows with that), but he basically brought the college WR bubble screen to the NFL and is now a staple of every NFL playbook in league.  Actually caught on that very season as other teams adopted it in 2nd half.

Another one of those college plays that wizards of smart said would never work in NFL because of team speed and all that.  That was cutting edge.  

I'm really excited about adding RPO's  They are a ***** to stop at any level.  I know as I have coached them and against them.  Really puts LB's in a bind.  It's a vertical option game with a simple LB read.  Read LB steps up you pass, drops or hesitates you hand off and he isn't filling downhill like he wanted to.  He has to catch the RB and a good RB can make you pay.  You can teach the basic concept to an 11 year old.  

Refs have to not call the linemen downfield though.  It can be real close.

If you are willing to risk your QB on occasion you can make the QB the runner on the RPO and it really stresses the defense and allows you to spread them out. 

RPO's will be ideal play for Cohen.  Force the fat guys to try to tackle him at LOS or the LB to make the play in space or the TE/WR makes the catch behind the LB's ear.  Makes for some big chunks of yardage.

I think a major problem with NFL run games is total lack of deception.  It is really hard to line up and just run down a defense throat when they know it is coming particularly when you can't dislodge the Dlinemen from their spot and NFLD  linemen are almost all better athletes than their Oline counterpart.  RPO bring some of that college/hs deception to the game.

Archived