Le'Veon Bell Contemplating Retirement

RuskieTitan

1 hour ago, 3rivers said:

agree, 1 tag and then that is it. The league /union  need to take care of this. Also remove thursday night games, as everyone agrees they are a waste .

Yea, a team should only be able to use the franchise tag on a player one time. After that, get a deal done or let the guy walk. 

12 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

Yea, a team should only be able to use the franchise tag on a player one time. After that, get a deal done or let the guy walk. 

Yea i agree with that

Given his age though I figured he’d be still worth a ton to Pittsburgh. Yea he has some miles but still good for another 4-5

2 hours ago, TheBeast23 said:

I feel like the Steelers over the years don’t get held up by players. They will pay him but if he asks for too much they would let him walk.

I said it during the season, get as much as you can out of Bell this year and then let him walk.  He probably has 1-2 more 'good to elite' years left and then your stuck overpaying a RB or with some dead money if you cut him. 

Also, while Bell is an elite talent that OL of the Steelers with another RB will be fine.  I also think this is one of those lose-lose situations.  Bells patient running style works when you have a damn good OL blocking in front of you.  Won't look as great if he goes to an OK run blocking team.  Not saying he's going to be JAG, but just not as elite as he is now...

36 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

I said it during the season, get as much as you can out of Bell this year and then let him walk.  He probably has 1-2 more 'good to elite' years left and then your stuck overpaying a RB or with some dead money if you cut him. 

Also, while Bell is an elite talent that OL of the Steelers with another RB will be fine.  I also think this is one of those lose-lose situations.  Bells patient running style works when you have a damn good OL blocking in front of you.  Won't look as great if he goes to an OK run blocking team.  Not saying he's going to be JAG, but just not as elite as he is now...

100% agree with eh OL assessment and the impact that has on his stats.  He is "the best RB in the league" when teamed up with a good OL, but when not, "he was the best RB in the league" yet same player and skills  etc. 

• What will AP be expecting next year? Is he THAT washed up? I doubt it, and he could still turn up good stats on the right team, maybe us B| Probably a 1/4 of what Bell will get. 

1 minute ago, childofpudding said:

He's one of the best two-way RBs in the league, but it's a bit of a joke that he's complaining about the Steelers holding up their end of the bargain when he's had a lot of trouble staying on the field due to suspensions and injuries.

This is what could also limit his new deal with another team. One way to erase all that is to become MVP in the playoffs and SB. Playing at another level in the big games is more important and will affect his deal. 

I bet he’s just posturing. I could be wrong, but sounds like he just wants more $$$ from Pittsburgh and this is really his only leverage given the situation. 

They’d be foolish to let him go over a couple extra mill per season. He’s the best or second best player on the team. If that report is to be believed (that the Steelers offered him a hefty 5 year deal) then they obviously don’t have any reservations about his workload or regression. Just cough up the extra cash - unless it really is that substantial.

7 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

I bet he’s just posturing. I could be wrong, but sounds like he just wants more $$$ from Pittsburgh and this is really his only leverage given the situation. 

They’d be foolish to let him go over a couple extra mill per season. He’s the best or second best player on the team. If that report is to be believed (that the Steelers offered him a hefty 5 year deal) then they obviously don’t have any reservations about his workload or regression. Just cough up the extra cash - unless it really is that substantial.

we always have cap restraints , offseason is always a topic with capologists on our forumB|

It scares me how some fans would run a team. Bell was offered $12 mil a year already. He wanted $15 and has probably pushed that up to $16 now. This for a guy whose production you could replace mostly with a rookie with less wear and tear and who will cost you about 1/6th of what Bell wants. You are talking about 3 or so veteran starters for the money Bell wants thrown at him.

The Steelers have invested heavily in the OL. You have money spent at WR and QB. And Brown makes more of an impact on the defense than Bell. The passing game is what creates Bell's running room along with one of the best OL's in the league. Deangelo Williams was signed off the scrap heap, and when he stepped in the offense was more productive even if in a small sample size.

The Steelers don't need a back to be as good as Bell. They can fairly easily find one next year that offers them about 80% of Bell in this offense at 15% of the cost.

1 hour ago, berlin calling said:

what is it with Steelers players and their constant mumbling about retirement? exaggarating here, but i am really getting tired of hearing the same ish from Big Ben and now Bell every offseason. get your ish straight guys, your either in it or your not.

I can't recall Bell ever saying  he might retire until now, but has he in the past (and not crapaport for a source :S) ? 

Ben really didn't seem interested early on, but eventually came to life on the field. That was legit and the talk of retirement made sense.  35 years old and several injuries through his career, I don't blame him but he is on a team that could win a few more, so why not stay around :D Brady has helped  the rules and QB health, so now lets see if we can thank him/goodell for that by winning a few more  SB'sxD

As for getting their ish straight, they are still in it (the play offs)  so that will have to wait until the season ends whenever that is. Can we expect them to  announce retirement during the season  :$

How do you think us capologists and draftniks feel about all this suspense. Much bandwidth here based on possible offseason moves but the FO.

Bell is following the Kirk Cousins school of getting paid AF. Act like it isn't about the money when it is. Force a trip to free agency. Bell will get paid more if he can have teams bid on him, it's a simple fact of how markets work. It sucks as a Steelers fan cause I love Bell and want him to stay on what could end up being one of the most talented offenses in a very long time, but I can not blame a player for getting paid, especially after the Shazier Injury.

This does remind me to bring up a question I've had for awhile, Should the NFL have some sort of salary cap rule similar to the NBA that allows teams to resign their own players and not have it all count against their cap? I think players playing for one team their whole career is better for the league in the long run and it sucks that teams that are really good at drafting end up in a spot where they can not afford to keep all of their players at the same time because of the cap.

13 hours ago, eagles101 said:

This is always one of the lowest brow comment made on these debates. Now we just wait for “if i played in the nfl id play for he league min because blah blah blah” to beat out yours.

Nah. I just don't feel sorry for him and if he retired I just say BYE!

9 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

Which is why the multiple franchise tags is nonsense. The dude needs to go out and get guaranteed long term money. Think about any other job thag can stop you from getting significantly more pay year after year. He doesnt have time to get another franchise tag and if i was him i woild just retire and save my body and invest what i have.

Archived