What are your thoughts on Payton, Tomlin, and McCarthy?

patriotsheatyan

58 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

Seriously? hes lucked out of getting his team in serious trouble by his stupid in game decisions. Look how he handled his teams timeouts today. very, very easily could a lack of to's directly led to his teams loss.

You seriously going to look at the final 4-5 minutes of that game and think that a bad coach's challenge set the Saints up to lose?  Lay off the recency bias, man.  I'm talking about their whole body of work, over the years, with consideration of what caliber of rosters they had to work with and what division they had to work in.  If I was a team that had to hire one of those three coaches, I'm taking Payton.  There are quite a few coaches I'd take before him, but this topic is about these three longstanding coaches.

Personally, I don’t love any of them as HCs. You can do MUCH worse, though. They’re not guys you look to actively replace or anything. They’re still top tier coaches, I just happen to believe the NFL’s current coaches are a bit lacking compared to other eras. Just not really a fan. 

If I were a GM or owner, I’d rather have Zimmer over them. 

All 3 are overrated really considering their overall success  working with HOF QB's.  When you've won a SB, constantly coming up short afterwards is deemed excusable. Hence why none of the three have been replaced. 

Payton, McCarthy, Tomlin

1 hour ago, ///mcompact said:

You seriously going to look at the final 4-5 minutes of that game and think that a bad coach's challenge set the Saints up to lose?  Lay off the recency bias, man.  I'm talking about their whole body of work, over the years, with consideration of what caliber of rosters they had to work with and what division they had to work in.  If I was a team that had to hire one of those three coaches, I'm taking Payton.  There are quite a few coaches I'd take before him, but this topic is about these three longstanding coaches.

thats not what i said, i said if things played out differently and they very easily could have. it was a close game and he flushed away two to's that at the time it was likely he may have needed. And its not like he want temporarily insane, hes not a good in game coach. Seems like few games hes doing some head scratcher.

2 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Dan Quinn decided to pass the ball on the 1 yard line with the game on the line and only ran the ball 5 times with a 28-3 lead in the biggest game of the year TWICE! Are you calling for his head?

(yes I know about the Hawk call)

was he on the list? not even gonna debate if throwing was the right move this weekend as its not relevant here. what a stupid, pointless post.

10 hours ago, patriotsheatyan said:

So you think they are all top five coaches?

I think they are, their records speak volumes  about them. Coaching still accounts for about 50% of why a NFL team wins, if you do not think so, just look up BB. Fans are just sometimes full of unreasonable expectations and find it hard to accept that they do not have BB as their HC and Brady as their QB, so they cry spilled milk all the time.

BB is up here

the other top 4 are down here and it is just that in every era, you usually find only one or 2 geniuses at a time and in this era, it is strictly BB up to this point!!!

12 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

Tomlin
Mcarthy
Payton

In that order to me although i think Payton is hands down the best coordinator of that group he is a offensive genius.  My problem with him is he doesn't act like a HC sometimes and acts childish and disrespectful.  He did it again after this game it seems when he was talking crap to the reporters after the game. 

Adrian+Peterson+New+Orleans+Saints+v+Car

adrian-peterson-had-a-monster-game-in-hi

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :D 

McCarthy gets a ton of hate, I don't get it.

- His teams never quit.

- Never any real drama with the team

- 8 straight playoff appearances

- 4 NFCCG'S in 12 years

- Good leader with a steady message

The downside is he held on to Capers way too long and runs hot and cold as a play caller at times, but overall I think it would be really tough to upgrade from McCarthy.

My opinion is that they all are good HCs, but they also all have major flaws in that they spend far too much time on one side of the team and tend to ignore the other side.  Tomlin is the least offender of it since he never had the long track record of coordinating like the others. McCarthy spent far too long neglecting the mediocre job that Capers was doing and Payton had never put any interest into building up the defense.  

12 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

Payton > McCarthy > Tomlin

I think Payton and McCarthy are very competent coaches. Tomlin is meh, but his teams are perennially in the top of the AFC so you can't really argue with those results. 

What exactly makes Payton better than McCarthy?  

Archived