What are your thoughts on Payton, Tomlin, and McCarthy?

patriotsheatyan

45 minutes ago, MNPackfan32 said:

McCarthy gets a ton of hate, I don't get it.

- His teams never quit.

- Never any real drama with the team

- 8 straight playoff appearances

- 4 NFCCG'S in 12 years

- Good leader with a steady message

The downside is he held on to Capers way too long and runs hot and cold as a play caller at times, but overall I think it would be really tough to upgrade from McCarthy.

McCarthy isn't as good as Payton because of his QB.  Oh, wait...

14 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

Seriously? hes lucked out of getting his team in serious trouble by his stupid in game decisions. Look how he handled his teams timeouts today. very, very easily could a lack of to's directly led to his teams loss.

It's not the first time. Payton is a horrible game manager, probably one of the worst in my opinion. 

My thoughts are that without Roethlisberger Tomlin would be a pretty average head coach but he is probably able to relate the best to the players.

McCarthy without Rodgers would probably not be all that good of a coach but he has a tendency to put together good staffs.

I think that just based on pure x's and o's Payton is the best out of the 3.

44 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

My thoughts are that without Roethlisberger Tomlin would be a pretty average head coach but he is probably able to relate the best to the players.

McCarthy without Rodgers would probably not be all that good of a coach but he has a tendency to put together good staffs.

I think that just based on pure x's and o's Payton is the best out of the 3.

If Payton is so good how come they have missed the playoffs 6 out of the last 12 years and McCarthy missed 3 and Tomlin have missed 4 in the same period of time?

3 minutes ago, Pugger said:

If Payton is so good how come they have missed the playoffs 6 out of the last 12 years and McCarthy missed 3 and Tomlin have missed 4 in the same period of time?

They play in a better division. Literally the past 2 Super Bowls have featured NFC South teams 

I feel like I have pretty reasonable thoughts on Payton. Some people may say that I'm biased because Saints fan but a lot of Saints fans don't like Payton so I don't think that's true lol. I think he's a good coach, a great X's and O's coach. I'd even go as far to say elite. He's not a good game manager though. 

And after this year I'm not sure how much blame I'm supposed to put on him for the awful defenses. This year we replaced a lot of defensive staff members and had a good draft and we finally had a solid defense. So maybe it wasn't on Payton after all. Before this year I wouldn't know where to rank Payton because of the whole defense thing, but now with a new defensive staff being able to actually coach up our guys I'd put him comfortably at the bottom of the top 10. I honestly think he may need a new staff member to help him make better in game decisions though lol, the man can scheme. The man can play call (he does get too pass happy at times but I feel like everyone in today's NFL does so). The man can coach up our offensive talent. The man can lead a team. He just needs someone to give him better timeout and challenge use lol. 

24 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I would say it had a lot to do with bad drafting and talent acquisition prior to the 2017 draft class.  I am merely stating my opinion that Sean Payton is the brightest of the 3 coaches.  There is no tangible proof of this.

Payton easily.

McCarthy he's ok.

Tomlin - 2 stupid moves cost them the win. Failing to realize that Ben R is 18 of 19 on 1 yard QB sneaks. Failing to realize that the Jags will only run the ball and they could stack the line, he instead onside kicks it with a terrible kicker of onside kicks.. Jags ran it 3 times as predicted. They stopped them, just like they would have outside FG range. Year after year, stupid moves cost them.

Harbaugh - He's dumb just like his brother who loves the deep 20+ yard out along the sidelines on 3rd and 2. Flacco usually throws it out of bounds. He knows he sucks. That's why he ran to Michigan.....and sucks.

Payton is a great offensive coach who doesn't seem to understand how to build a roster on the other side of the ball. It's easy to blame Mickey Loomis for the Saints' failure to build a competitive defense for all those years and wasting Drew Brees' prime, but just as much of a problem seemed to be Payton not really establishing any sort of direction for what kind of defense he wanted to field. Those teams weren't altogether lacking in defensive talent, but after their Super Bowl win, they didn't play well as a unit until this year, and to me that's a reflection of Payton's coaching philosophy (or lack thereof).

McCarthy is... I dunno. It's easy to say that he's managed to stay employed through the sheer dumb luck of having Aaron Rodgers, but given what we've seen from Sean Payton (i.e. a pretty good coach being unable to field a winning team for several years despite the presence of a HOF QB), maybe it's not so simple in McCarthy's case?

Harbaugh is IMO the 2nd best coach in the NFL behind Belichick. He's managed to win a Super Bowl with a thoroughly average QB and has kept the Ravens competitive, against all odds, through a complete rebuild of the defense, Flacco's regression and a drafting slump by Ozzie Newsome. His attitude can be annoying but I have all respect in the world for his coaching ability.

Tomlin seems like a [four-letter word] to me and he makes a lot of terrible in-game decisions, but his players seem to love him and he keeps them competitive so I guess he's an okay coach in that regard.

2 hours ago, Malik said:

They play in a better division. Literally the past 2 Super Bowls have featured NFC South teams 

The NFC West made 3 straight.

The AFC East has represented the AFC in 7 Superbowls in the last 16. Does that make them the best division? Ridiculous logic, you see?

Archived