The Future of This Franchise (Coaching Staff Debate)

steelcurtain29

14 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Bottom line...The defense was changed to challenge NE passing game.  This made them vulnerable vs power running teams.  They have had issues all season with runs to the edge. Without Shazier ( and Timmons) they have zero speed sideline-to-sideline speed.  Playing the D-line as single gap makes them vulnerable to runs up the middle, which has be exploited by teams with mediocre olines.

The Jags were the perfect team to beat the Steelers.  They would have done much better vs NE.  It is also why the Titans have beaten the Jags twice and get killed vs NE.

I personally feel that they need to move to a hybrid defense.  Two players playing 2 gap in the middle and two playing single gap.  One DE can be exchanged for a OLB depending on the game.

I’ve wanted to go to that for a while now. Been saying it for two years in fact. 

With health base formation against the Jags should be:

Heyward RDE - Hargrave 1T - Tuitt 3T - Dupree 9T

Shazier Will - Williams Mike - Watt Sam

That gives us a nice blend of beef and speed for 1st down. 

Then when you need the slight change or nickel you take Hargrave out, slide Heyward in to pass rush DT, move Watt up onto the line. It’s the exact same thing that Seattle/Atlanta/Jacksonville all do. It’s a slight variation on what NE does. Trying to run a pure 3-4 (like we are) anymore is idiotic IMO. You have to be scheme flexible. Our personnel can be. The DC and defensive coaches are not. 

we've always had trouble with the jags.,. even when they were really bad our games against them were close.. ravens have the same issues against that team

jags have always been built like a AFC north team.. happy they we are not in the same division anymore

Just now, warfelg said:

It’s been an issue ever since Mike Mitchell has been around and Keith Butler has been in charge. Your FS should be the one making the communication calls to the secondary. Mitchell does not. 

our first game with butler was full of communication nightmares against new england when we opened the 2015 season.. we were leaving gronk wide open and just looked confused for most of that game.. seems like nothing has changed

4 minutes ago, August4th said:

our first game with butler was full of communication nightmares against new england when we opened the 2015 season.. we were leaving gronk wide open and just looked confused for most of that game.. seems like nothing has changed

Yup. Every bad defensive game we have gets blamed on communication. Got to hit a point where you look at that and say, “What the Yada Yada guys?”

11 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I got an OC that Tomlin is very familiar with, runs a system similar to Haley, has a better feel, and was a head coach:

Brad Childress. 

I wouldnt mind seeing him here. 

They will NOT bring in a OC that will change the system.  Ben does not have that time.  At best Fletcher is promoted.

9 minutes ago, August4th said:

I think we go in-house for the OC and butler is not going anywhere .. but his seat should be warm

Agreed.

Beyond that, I hope they at least replace Carnell Lake.   I have a feeling they wont, though.    Thats the downside of having coaches that have previous strong ties with the team....they get more leash than they deserve.   

I'm not a fan of any of our Defensive coaches.  Lake, Porter, Olsavsky, the other ILB coach all need to go.  Mitchell is the only one who actually coaches his guys.  Dupree hasn't made any progress at all.  Neither has Watt.  Chickillo hasn't shown any development.  Burns actually regressed this season.  Davis regressed.  Mitchell sucks.  From a talent and production standpoint, hell even technique, our players are behind.  The OLB trying to set the edge all season long has been horrendous.  Jacksonville could have ran the football every play yesterday and still would have won handily.  We didn't get not ONE negative play against them all game long.  Not one.  They averaged around 5 yards per carry or more.  The ILBs constantly failed to guard the RBs and flats which led to easy first downs and explosive plays.  Williams isn't football smart enough to see a play and get there. I'm sorry but there is so much wrong with that defense.  Mike Mitchell MUST go!!  That scheme and its players must be tweaked.

This defense was an average defense before Shazier went down. The window is closing fast, when Ben retires it will be a few years before we are one of the top teams.

Tomlin continues to make the same mistakes over and over. To defend the 4th down calls yesterday......and to mismanage the clock AGAIN waiting to call

the timeouts after the two minute warning, there is no logical explanation to that. Tomlin has been fortunate with the talent he has had over the years and

most of the time his team has underachieved - that is on the head Coach!

Archived