NFL News & Notes

Leader

The NFL has asked its on-field officials to pay particular attention to illegal contact fouls during the 2022 season, a league spokesperson confirmed Monday. The request could lead to an increase in such flags following a big drop during the 2021 season.

Officials flagged illegal contact an average of 97 times per season between 2002 and 2020, but that number dropped to 36 last season. The decrease prompted the NFL's competition committee to include illegal contact among its "points of clarification," formerly known as "points of emphasis," for the 2022 season.

In administering illegal contact, officials must first identify the prohibited contact and then confirm the position of the ball and quarterback. The committee encouraged officials to move more quickly from the contact to the quarterback, in order to better enforce the foul.

Expect to see a lot of calls in the preseason and early in the regular season. 

I've seen highlights of Chiefs camp 3 or 4 days in a row. Obviously Mahomes is in those highlights. Every time he's half assing it. 

You compare that to Rodgers and he's always paying attention to the minor details and working at it. Mahomes has slipped since his Super Bowl win. He's going to keep regressing until he gets a coach who makes him pay attention to those small details IMO. 

32 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I've seen highlights of Chiefs camp 3 or 4 days in a row. Obviously Mahomes is in those highlights. Every time he's half assing it. 

You compare that to Rodgers and he's always paying attention to the minor details and working at it. Mahomes has slipped since his Super Bowl win. He's going to keep regressing until he gets a coach who makes him pay attention to those small details IMO. 

Who knew that highlights can give fans such pinpoint context to what a player is doing throughout the week in a facility none of us have ever set foot in?  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, thrILL! said:

Who knew that highlights can give fans such pinpoint context to what a player is doing throughout the week in a facility none of us have ever set foot in?  

Who knew you could come here all of these years and never add anything of substance. Truly amazing! 

BTW, it was a simple observation. Something that is allowed. Same drill for both guys and one was working at it the other seemed bothered by it. 

Now run along, you are dismissed. 

Ian Rapoport -   Bears All-Pro LB Roquan Smith has requested a trade.

More frustrations:

— The backloaded offer, which wouldn’t make him the highest paid in actual salary, included proposed de-escalators that not a single player out of the 94 non-QB, $15M+ contracts has. He was offended.

— The deal would hurt the LB market as a whole.

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

Ian Rapoport -   Bears All-Pro LB Roquan Smith has requested a trade.

More frustrations:

— The backloaded offer, which wouldn’t make him the highest paid in actual salary, included proposed de-escalators that not a single player out of the 94 non-QB, $15M+ contracts has. He was offended.

— The deal would hurt the LB market as a whole.

My thoughts are the Bears probably don't want to lock in a LB to that amount of money. I get that. They should trade him if they aren't going to pay him rather than offer a contract which clearly isn't market value pertaining to upfront and guaranteed money overall.

The Bears being the Bears. Not sure you can score a 1st round pick for a LB, even one like Smith. Bears are still rebuilding so they might as well get what they can, otherwise, ante up and pay the man. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

My thoughts are the Bears probably don't want to lock in a LB to that amount of money. I get that. They should trade him if they aren't going to pay him rather than offer a contract which clearly isn't market value pertaining to upfront and guaranteed money overall.

The Bears being the Bears. Not sure you can score a 1st round pick for a LB, even one like Smith. Bears are still rebuilding so they might as well get what they can, otherwise, ante up and pay the man. 

My thoughts?  This is the Bears front office still being the Bears front office.  Sooner or later you have to think it is not the executives over there, it is the owner.

I'm not a huge fan of Roquan, but...he's all they have.  If Fields does hit, those would be two nice pieces to build around.

And the Bears make that kind of a bs offer.

Seriously, he should force his way out of there.  

On 8/8/2022 at 9:15 AM, Brat&Beer said:

Expect to see a lot of calls in the preseason and early in the regular season. 

Yuck, illegal contact is the most inconsistent, typically BS call on defense (other than roughing the passer). 

Edited by packfanfb