NFL News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

They don't want to pay him a guaranteed contract. They don't want to pay anyone other than maybe Mahomes a guaranteed contract. He'll get his money. He's a top moneymaker in the league.

Yep, his MVP year makes him a moneymaker, but he'll drag his new team down wherever he goes in the long run.

I mean, the issue is that Lamar wants a comparable contract to Deshaun Watson, and unlike Watson Lamar Jackson really hasn't done anything wrong.  If we see an actual terrible human being being rewarded for not playing football for a year, why can't a decent human being be rewarded for playing football well when he's not injured.

Of course, the real explanation is that the Browns are run by stupid people who lack ethics.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Yep, his MVP year makes him a moneymaker, but he'll drag his new team down wherever he goes in the long run.

He's got 2 years of elite level athletic ability left, when that goes, I agree with you. Using his last 2 years isn't fair to him though when his receiving core makes Rodgers group look like the Greatest Show on Turf. I mean Devin Duvernay and DeMarcus Robinson were his top WRs most of the year.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

He's got 2 years of elite level athletic ability left, when that goes, I agree with you. Using his last 2 years isn't fair to him though when his receiving core makes Rodgers group look like the Greatest Show on Turf. I mean Devin Duvernay and DeMarcus Robinson were his top WRs most of the year.

I'm just betting against the guy who I don't think is very disciplined. His football ability is of negligible importance to me at this point.

I see Marvin Jones just signed with Detroit.  There goes a vet wr that could have helped the Packers.  Needless to say, the available salary cap is really, really hurting this team.  Pretty sad how Rodgers salary has crippled this team.  Everybody wants to blame Gute and he certainly carries some burden but Rodgers is a greedy, self serving dude who always demanded the top dollar.  Never thought I'd say it but I'm looking forward to moving on and get out of this salary cap hell. 

11 hours ago, coachbuns said:

I see Marvin Jones just signed with Detroit.  There goes a vet wr that could have helped the Packers.  Needless to say, the available salary cap is really, really hurting this team.  Pretty sad how Rodgers salary has crippled this team.  Everybody wants to blame Gute and he certainly carries some burden but Rodgers is a greedy, self serving dude who always demanded the top dollar.  Never thought I'd say it but I'm looking forward to moving on and get out of this salary cap hell. 

I agree on Rodgers 100%, but for 1 year, $3m we could have easily afforded Jones.

Guess Gute either knows he's getting Corey Davis already or he'd rather spend his dollars elsewhere. When MLF is publicly asking for a veteran receiver and we still haven't made a move, you gotta wonder if the two are on the same page. Same with MLF's wistful comments on ARod.

11 hours ago, coachbuns said:

It is entirely Gute's fault.    He offered him the contract.  He didn't trade AR when the time was right.

Do you go into your boss and tell him to reduce your salary so others can make more, and the company can increase its profits?

While we all can agree that Rodgers is a greedy, self serving dude it isn't on him to manage the Packers payroll or personnel decisions.  Gute played this all like a complete fool.   We should all feel a sense of relief when AR is gone, but the real relief doesn't come until we get a competent GM who doesn't create the bad situation in the first place.

2 hours ago, hitnhope said:

It is entirely Gute's fault.    He offered him the contract.  He didn't trade AR when the time was right.

Do you go into your boss and tell him to reduce your salary so others can make more, and the company can increase its profits?

While we all can agree that Rodgers is a greedy, self serving dude it isn't on him to manage the Packers payroll or personnel decisions.  Gute played this all like a complete fool.   We should all feel a sense of relief when AR is gone, but the real relief doesn't come until we get a competent GM who doesn't create the bad situation in the first place.

Overall, most posters think Gute has been at least average if not above average so far.  There aren't many if any gm's who would have traded a back to back year league mvp the next season.  In retrospect, Gute tried to squeeze 1 more year out of Rodgers and it didn't work for various reasons.  Sure he should have traded him last year after the year he had but see above.  Over reaction on your part.

Edited by coachbuns
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Overall, most posters think Gute has been at least average if not above average so far.  There aren't many if any gm's who would have traded a back to back year league mvp the next season.  In restrospect,  Gute tried to squeeze 1 more year out of Rodgers and it didn't work for various reasons.  Sure he should have traded him last year after the year he had but see above.  Over reaction on your part.

For him it was almost low key.  He's more obsessed with bashing Gute than Cookie Monster is obsessed with cookies.

56 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Overall, most posters think Gute has been at least average if not above average so far.  There aren't many if any gm's who would have traded a back to back year league mvp the next season.  In retrospect, Gute tried to squeeze 1 more year out of Rodgers and it didn't work for various reasons.  Sure he should have traded him last year after the year he had but see above.  Over reaction on your part.

You pay leaders to know their team and be leaders.   He didn't have the kind of roster last year to contend for a SB win.  He should have known that and followed through on his plan to go with Love.  

I really don't care if most posters agreed with what he did at the time.  Going with the flow and general thought is what losers do.  That is not how successful leaders in any endeavor operate.  Most people really don't know that much and form their opinions based on low knowledge and a lot of feelings. 

Leaders need to step above those things and do the right thing.   I criticized him last off-season for not doing the move.  Many posters did and they were correct.   Gute has botched the relationship with Rodgers from day 1.   A strong leader should have understood his roster better and done the right thing.    Not only did he not trade AR at the right time, but he gave him this ridiculous contract that greatly diminishes his value when the Packers did not have to do anything.  AR was under contract.

His roster management and, being kind, average drafting performance either require big improvements or Gute simply isn't made of the stuff that will ever win a SB.

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

For him it was almost low key.  He's more obsessed with bashing Gute than Cookie Monster is obsessed with cookies.

When you have cancer you need to get rid of it-right away.   You don't wait around hoping it just goes away.   Gute is cancer to the Packers hopes of winning a SB.

9 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

You pay leaders to know their team and be leaders.   He didn't have the kind of roster last year to contend for a SB win.  He should have known that and followed through on his plan to go with Love.  

I really don't care if most posters agreed with what he did at the time.  Going with the flow and general thought is what losers do.  That is not how successful leaders in any endeavor operate.  Most people really don't know that much and form their opinions based on low knowledge and a lot of feelings. 

Leaders need to step above those things and do the right thing.   I criticized him last off-season for not doing the move.  Many posters did and they were correct.   Gute has botched the relationship with Rodgers from day 1.   A strong leader should have understood his roster better and done the right thing.    Not only did he not trade AR at the right time, but he gave him this ridiculous contract that greatly diminishes his value when the Packers did not have to do anything.  AR was under contract.

His roster management and, being kind, average drafting performance either require big improvements or Gute simply isn't made of the stuff that will ever win a SB.

Does it ever enter your mind that Gutes didn't have the free rein to trade Rodgers at any point in his time as the GM. You have been relentless in your need to use Gutes as the scapegoat for all things that hurt your feelings, but just maybe there is more to this story then you care to want to understand. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, R T said:

Does it ever enter your mind that Gutes didn't have the free rein to trade Rodgers at any point in his time as the GM. You have been relentless in your need to use Gutes as the scapegoat for all things that hurt your feelings, but just maybe there is more to this story then you care to want to understand. 

Then the Packers will never win a SB under the current org structure that Murphy set up.  Your response only changes that we then need to rid ourselves of ALL of the leadership.  

We can only judge based on what we have been told.  If the organization is so jacked up that our GM isn't a real GM, then it only signals larger problems than originally imagined.  

I want the Green Bay Packer to remain a top organization and put forward good football for Packer fans for years to come.   Gute and Murphy have taken a proven process and poisoned it.  The steps made the last couple years aren't the ones taken by successful organizations.  I really don't care if that bothers, offends or hurts your feelings.   I'd much rather people realize what is happening and demand change instead of whitewashing failure under the guise of fandom.