NFL News & Notes

Leader

19 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Good chance Washington wasn't even on our board with his reported medical issues. Otherwise, I would have put good money on the Packers absolutely loving him. 

I feel like the medical issue was overblown.  We passed on him twice and had plenty of ammunition to go get him in the third round where a slight medical issue is not a big deal.

And we declined to go get him.  Despite him being a great blocking TE.

I have a hunch that blocking while moving is more important to the MLF offense than in-line blocking like Lewis did.  And...perhaps GB noticed that Washington's feet were really, really slow.

If the goal is to use motion and make the pass plays look like run plays, it stands to reason that a tight end who can move (quick feet) is much more important than a stationary in line blocker.

24 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Good chance Washington wasn't even on our board with his reported medical issues. Otherwise, I would have put good money on the Packers absolutely loving him. 

Agreed. I think he was off a lot of boards. Bet he unfortunately has a short career.

26 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Agreed. I think he was off a lot of boards. Bet he unfortunately has a short career.

I honestly think that he's going to play one year of TE, then after the season the coaches will  sit him down and say "you know, Darnell... it'd be a lot less stress on your knees if you played left tackle." 

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

I could see a scenario where they keep 5. They've done it before and if MLF wants to play more 12 personnel with Love at QB, it wouldn't surprise me. Basically you'd just trade a WR for a TE on the roster, and even with that, you have Musgrave who can act as a big slot. Packers used to roll with 5 WRs pretty regularly. Been keeping 6 lately but they could go back to 5. Some of that probably depends on how Toure, Wicks, Dubose and Melton look in the preseason. Maybe they only keep 2 of those 4. 

I'm struggling to see 5 rosterable TEs.  You've got Luke Masgrave, Tucker Kraft, and Josiah Deguara as roster locks, so if you ASSUME that the Packers feel they need to protect Tyler Davis you're at 4 TEs.  They'd need to bring in a veteran TE to TE5, and they'd be signing for peanuts given the Packers' cap situation.

35 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

By the 3rd regular season game the Jets are going to be, "WTF did we get ourselves into with this guy?" 

Too late by then! 

I don't believe that, Rodgers has done well with his reboots and there is a ton of positive energy with that team. Like Favre to the Jets the only thing that keeps them from being good would be an injury to Rodgers. Will be surprised if they don't have a fast start to their season.

16 minutes ago, R T said:

Will be surprised if they don't have a fast start to their season.

The main problem is that the Jets have a really tough schedule and only have the Texans, Falcons, Raiders, and Browns as "opponents with fewer than 8 wins in 2022".

Hypothetically their season could start "@Miami, Chargers, @Cowboys, Eagles, @ Bills, Atlanta, KC, @NE"  where they probably wouldn't be favored regularly.

23 minutes ago, R T said:

I don't believe that, Rodgers has done well with his reboots and there is a ton of positive energy with that team. Like Favre to the Jets the only thing that keeps them from being good would be an injury to Rodgers. Will be surprised if they don't have a fast start to their season.

1 minute ago, PossibleCabbage said:

The main problem is that the Jets have a really tough schedule and only have the Texans, Falcons, Raiders, and Browns as "opponents with fewer than 8 wins in 2022".

Hypothetically their season could start "@Miami, Chargers, @Cowboys, Eagles, @ Bills, Atlanta, KC, @NE"  where they probably wouldn't be favored regularly.

So many things can happen before week 1 let alone throughout the season. I see the Jets being favored in 4 home games and two road games you throw out there hypothetically. 

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

I could see a scenario where they keep 5. They've done it before and if MLF wants to play more 12 personnel with Love at QB, it wouldn't surprise me. Basically you'd just trade a WR for a TE on the roster, and even with that, you have Musgrave who can act as a big slot. Packers used to roll with 5 WRs pretty regularly. Been keeping 6 lately but they could go back to 5. Some of that probably depends on how Toure, Wicks, Dubose and Melton look in the preseason. Maybe they only keep 2 of those 4. 

We are also pretty gung-ho with keeping 2 RBs on the roster and then rolling with Taylor and Goodson on the PS, ready to go if needed.  And looking at the QB room, as is, I wouldn't be surprised if there were only 2 on the roster there either.  

3 hours ago, incognito_man said:

No, we should extend him and keep him in GB

I'm torn on this one.  If they can find a buyer at the deadline for big picks, I think you let him go

You have Nijman, you have Tom, and you have the 2024 draft to find your OTs of the future.

2 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I'm torn on this one.  If they can find a buyer at the deadline for big picks, I think you let him go

You have Nijman, you have Tom, and you have the 2024 draft to find your OTs of the future.

To maximize trade value I think Bak needs to prove his knee is not only game ready, but season ready.

If you trade him at all it happens after this season, before next draft.

3 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

To many of all ya'll are punting on the 2023 season already. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I'm struggling to see 5 rosterable TEs.  You've got Luke Masgrave, Tucker Kraft, and Josiah Deguara as roster locks, so if you ASSUME that the Packers feel they need to protect Tyler Davis you're at 4 TEs.  They'd need to bring in a veteran TE to TE5, and they'd be signing for peanuts given the Packers' cap situation.

This was in connection with my post about bringing back Lewis. So he'd be the 5th guy assuming you want to keep Davis for Teams. 

11 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

IF we can get a 1st round pick for him and 

IF we can use one of ours in 2024 to get a stud OT and

IF we don't think he'll be elite from 2024-2026

Then I'm ok trading him 

15 minutes ago, R T said:

To many of all ya'll are punting on the 2023 season already. 

It's getting annoying, especially from the bloggers and beat guys too. We're already in full "don't take snaps away from a 7th round rookie" season and we haven't even seen these guys in a Packers helmet yet lol.

Rant time: The NFC North is WIDE open and the notion that the Packers are in full "rebuild" mode is a fallacy. On paper, our defense should be stronger than the group on the field at the end of last year ( - Reed, - Lowry, - Amos (maybe) + Gary, + Stokes, + Van Ness, + Mid-round DL). Moreover, on offense, our OL has a fully healthy Bak and Jenkins unlike last season, plus a 2nd year Tom and the same group of RBs. 

At TE, we lost Tonyan, a very average player with average stats. You can probably replace his production alone with Deguara, let alone adding Musgrave and Kraft. As stated before, Lewis IMO would be the bigger loss over Tonyan due to his specific skill set. 

At WR, we lost Lazard and Cobb. Big deal. No one cares about Cobb, and Lazard's best skill besides blocking is playing with his buddy, Aaron Rodgers, and acting like he's something more than an average No. 2 option. Experience is one thing, but pure talent wise, I'm taking Watson-Doubs-Reed over last year's Week 1 of Watkins-Lazard-Cobb 7 days a week and twice on Sunday. 

That leaves the elephant in the room - QB. This entire thing comes down to Love's play and frankly, do we see him being worse than the 2022 version of Rodgers? 

I'm not saying the Packers are going to go there tomorrow and hang with Philly and the Niners in the playoffs, but last year's team wasn't doing that either. The 2023 Packers can certainly win the NFC North or, at the very least, make the playoffs as a wildcard in this weak-*** NFC conference and that's all people should really be talking about right now. 

The end. 

Edited by packfanfb
  • Like 2