NFL News & Notes

Leader

31 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Just expanding on this, not disagreeing at all.

Who are the young talented guys on that roster?

Premiums....QB, WR, LT, EDGE, corner, pass rush DL.

Cousins isn't young and he's also good, but not that good.  

Jefferson is a stud and will be paid mega bucks soon.  Maybe Addison has potential, but we shall see.

I thought they got Darrisaw for LT.  Seems like he has a lot of potential.

EDGE doesn't look very good after Hunter.  And he's a short termer there.

Not sure they have much at corner, either.

Future isn't so great.  They need premiums.  Odds are more vets are gone next year so they can afford Jefferson and then they still have to figure out the QB situation.  Wondering how Rodgers is going to look in purple?  :)  

Well, while looking at their roster, they do have a guy called Jacky Chen.  So we are all in big, big trouble.  

Just skimming through, they do have a lot of WR speed.  They also have some interesting DL I know I liked Khyiris Tonga, and Ross Blacklock in their draft classes, but I am lying if I say I know anything about how they have played, and just added Jaquelin Roy, another guy that we tossed around in discussions here.  I think there is still potential with Marcus Davenport, but the clock is ticking, and they drafted Andre Carter II, who I wouldn't be surprised if he is amazing, or if we have no idea who he is in 3 years. 

They also have Sokol at center, who needs to start.  I mean, come on, Sokol Vikings!  Am I right? It is genius marketing, if nothing else.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

If they were smart, they'd trade JJ and go full rebuild.

I don't think they have much young higher end talent on that roster.  I feel it is wiser to pay JJ and start getting into better cap shape while having that young asset under contract.

But I can see your point as well.  Rip the band aid off and start over.  But I feel that is more of a Cousins thing than a JJ thing.

I think JJ has to be on the Vikings core group of players.  He is on the short list of best WRs in the league, still very young, and ridiculously popular.  

They have 35 million in dead hits this year, so that should be back next year.  The only current (season) contract that puzzles me is Brian O'Neill.  Perhaps someone that is more familiar with the Vikings can expound, but ~20 million for a RT is pretty expensive.  But if he is worth it, their LT is on a rookie contract. 

I don't think they are in worse shape than anyone else in the NFCN.  But I think it can be more easily argued that the other three teams should be trending up, while that is a more difficult argument to make for the Vikings.  

I think they will be above average to good until Kirk Cousins starts to decline.  Right now, there isn't a succession plan in place.  Kirk is 34, so there is still a little gas left in the tank, but it isn't unfair to question how much.  He is very good.  But he was never great, and even a slight decrease in play can push him out of effectiveness.  

2 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I think JJ has to be on the Vikings core group of players.  He is on the short list of best WRs in the league, still very young, and ridiculously popular.  

They have 35 million in dead hits this year, so that should be back next year.  The only current (season) contract that puzzles me is Brian O'Neill.  Perhaps someone that is more familiar with the Vikings can expound, but ~20 million for a RT is pretty expensive.  But if he is worth it, their LT is on a rookie contract. 

I don't think they are in worse shape than anyone else in the NFCN.  But I think it can be more easily argued that the other three teams should be trending up, while that is a more difficult argument to make for the Vikings.  

I think they will be above average to good until Kirk Cousins starts to decline.  Right now, there isn't a succession plan in place.  Kirk is 34, so there is still a little gas left in the tank, but it isn't unfair to question how much.  He is very good.  But he was never great, and even a slight decrease in play can push him out of effectiveness.  

I look at premium positions for the teams.

GB has Love and Bakh at offensive premiums right now.  And if WR is becoming a premium, we have Watson developing there.  And maybe Tom is our LT of the future.  

Defensively, we have JA, Douglas, Stokes and developmentally, maybe Nixon at CB.  Gary, P, LVN and to a lesser extent, Engbare on EDGE.  Wyatt as a potential pass rushing DL.

Vikes have Cousins at QB, nothing young and good behind him.  Darrisow at LT, which is quite good.  Jefferson, which is great.  No real corners.  Hunter and Davenport look like duct tape on the EDGE with nothing young and exciting behind them.

Bares.  Kindda yikes at the premiums.  Maybe they have a young LT now.  Maybe they have a corner.  I don't think they have an EDGE or rushing DL.  I can't name any of their corners.

Lions.  Solid line.  QB isn't that old and they drafted a kid that could be good.  Weaponz at WR.  Good young LT.  Good young EDGE rusher.  I'm not sold on their corners, but we know they have a very good safety.

If Love turns out to be a real QB...GB is in good shape compared to others in the division.  Bares and Vikes are going to need to draft premiums.  We know the Lions won't, because Lions will do Lions things in the draft.  So we can draft to fill is as needed.

I like it.  But it all hinges on Love.  Love will keep us alive.  All you need is Love.  

Regarding Chicago.  I think that they think they have their QB.  That is one big domino down.  I also think that the general consensus was that this was a good draft for the Bears, not star studded super draft, but a lot of players that have the potential to be very good starters, which they needed, being the worst team last season.  The arrow doesn't have anywhere to point but up for the Bears.

2 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Regarding Chicago.  I think that they think they have their QB.  That is one big domino down.  I also think that the general consensus was that this was a good draft for the Bears, not star studded super draft, but a lot of players that have the potential to be very good starters, which they needed, being the worst team last season.  The arrow doesn't have anywhere to point but up for the Bears.

I'm not so sure about that.  Their FRP is not "clean".  He's got motivation issues and is already large.  He could be amazing, or he could be out of the league.

The traded the first pick in the second round for Claypool.  Now they have to pay him or it was a very poor trade given what was there at that pick.

I too think they have their QB.  Also...that bar is set really low.

And?  When you are drafting first overall, there is no room to go down, right?

5 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I can’t get behind Cousins as very good. His numbers look very good, but idt he’s a guy who won’t win you games. He can certainly lose some. I think he benefits a ton from having elite talent around him. I can’t see him winning 3 big games in a row. He’s the perfect football purgatory QB. I would not want a QB like him. 

I don’t understand what Minny is doing. They’re not ‘going for it ‘, they’re not rebuilding , and I don’t think it’s a situation like us. It seems like they’re content with making the playoffs but not being a contender. 

20 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

1 year up to 4 million.  Guess that's why the Packers were out.  Jets signing another Packer.  How many is that now?  

Adrian Amos

Tim Boyle

Randall Cobb

Allen Lazard

Aaron Rodgers

Malik Taylor

Billy Turner

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

Adrian Amos joining the Jets. 

In general, I am not fond of the Packers signing players who used to play with the Bears. Once a Bear, always a Bear IMO. I like Adrian Amos and wish him the best. As long as he doesn't do anything to help them win games, which hurts our FRP statue! LOL

15 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Adrian Amos

Tim Boyle

Randall Cobb

Allen Lazard

Aaron Rodgers

Malik Taylor

Billy Turner

Joe Douglas: HEY! What the HELL are you doing in my office? Oh, sorry Aaron…I didn’t see that was you on the phone.