NFL News & Notes

Leader

I get the idea behind the "we should have extended Gary before this" thought, but once the ACL happened, there was no way the extension was getting done early.  GB wasn't going to pay Gary a top-end salary prior his recovery, and Gary wasn't going to sign at a discount.  Both sides of that argument are 100% justified.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I don't think any NFL team signs a guy to a monster extension coming off an ACL without seeing him play a game first.

Trade would be next off-season. After whatever he does this year. And LIS, it's very unlikely, these situations are very rare anyway. But I think it's a greater than zero probability if our young, cheap EDGE guys hit.

Edit: nm, I see what you were saying about GB extending him, ignore first part.

Edited by incognito_man

The Green Bay strategy with Gary is something like:

- See how he looks in game action coming off the ACL.
- Try to negotiate an extension during the season
- Try to negotiate an extension before the franchise tag deadline.
- Tag Gary
- Using the tag as leverage, try to extend Gary.

If they haven't come up with an extension by then, then you can see what you can trade him for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leader said:

A. Breer's comment is correct. He sounds like a professor.
B. It's actually interesting listening to his "historical" insights.

Ah yes, the good old "iS iT rEaLlY tHaT hArD?!?!?!?" argument.  If it's so easy then go do it and make 20 times what you're making now you ******* turd.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MaximusGluteus said:

Ah yes, the good old "iS iT rEaLlY tHaT hArD?!?!?!?" argument.  If it's so easy then go do it and make 20 times what you're making now you ******* turd.

I liked BB's comments because - in all these years, I'd actually never heard him speak at this length and detail before - and found his historical perspectives on the personnel / roster evolution interesting.

• Like 1

Just now, Leader said:

I liked BB's comments because - in all these years, I'd actually never heard him speak at this length and detail before - and found his historical perspectives on the personnel / roster evolution interesting.

Oh I agree, his answer was interesting to listen to.  I also realize the guy asking the question probably didn't mean anything nefarious by it and was trying to pick Bill's brain but damn that kind of attitude is so annoying.  I've seen people say that same **** about kickers and punters and are 100% serious.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leader said:

One has wondered how such an abrupt man has commanded the cooperation and respect of young men at such a high level over the years.

That answer showed complete control over the evolution of the game by its rules, and the attendant strategies and counter-strategies. Even problem children like Randy Moss sat down and listened when made part of his team; they recognized the mutual benefit to be had by doing things Bill’s way.

Watching the Quarterback School breakdown against the Patriots I was blown away by the disciplined play of his pass defenders. This was a good peek into the active mind that usually just dismisses routine questions with annoyed grunts.

Edited by Uffdaswede
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Leader said:

Has he ever given a one-minute answer to a question, much less almost 10 minutes? That was interesting, from the most boring guy to interview, ever. 

Edited by Old Guy

3 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Has he ever given a one-minute answer to a question, much less all most 10 minutes? That was interesting, from the most boring guy to interview, ever. 

I dont take in a whole bunch of Patriot related media....so I've mostly been exposed to his short responses to some presser question. Doesnt mean he actually doesnt speak at greater length however. We just dont see those. 

16 hours ago, Old Guy said:

When Gary has the type of year he's going to have, 15 sacks and dominating, you tell me about leverage. LOL! Smith is likely gone after this year. Also, you pay the man his money. The sooner we do it the cheaper it will be. 

I'm all for him having that kind of year, and if he does sign him.    I should have known people would be so sensitive to the word "leverage."     In this case it just means we have options.  If he's healthy and All-World, sure give him his big contract.   If he's not All-World than we have a ton of depth and some high picks next year as well.   We are well-stocked at the position to handle injury and/or crazy contract demands.   Not a controversial take.