NFL News & Notes

Leader

8 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Not saying negligence, maybe it's incompetence. Do they allow other teams to use those venues for games? Maybe it's overuse. 

Green Bay seems to do a decent job of keeping grass on the field most of the year. 

That's the reason why teams prefer turf to grass.  It's easier to maintain turf and keep it at a high level.  Every year, we hear players, coaches, and fans complain about natural grass fields and how they're not safe.  But the second that there's a major injury on a turf field, it's time to overhaul all the turf fields.  It's not a winning situation, and honestly I don't think there's a single right answer to this question.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Not saying negligence, maybe it's incompetence. Do they allow other teams to use those venues for games? Maybe it's overuse. 

Green Bay seems to do a decent job of keeping grass on the field most of the year. 

Is Lambeau field natural turf or is it a hybrid?  I thought it was some sort of hybrid that teams complain about being too slippery?

On 9/11/2023 at 8:25 PM, ThatJerkDave said:

Well, if it is going to be a second round pick, at least Zach Wilson is only going to lead the Jets to 4 wins.

They're probably still a 7 to 9 win team unless Zach Wilson goes full Zach Wilson.  That defense is still loaded with talent, and they have enough offensive weapons to keep things interesting.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

That's the reason why teams prefer turf to grass.  It's easier to maintain turf and keep it at a high level.  Every year, we hear players, coaches, and fans complain about natural grass fields and how they're not safe.  But the second that there's a major injury on a turf field, it's time to overhaul all the turf fields.  It's not a winning situation, and honestly I don't think there's a single right answer to this question.

For real. 

Every year we hear terrible things about how Soldier Field and Heinz Field are like playing in a mine field by the time December rolls around. 

The players want the best of all worlds, the perfect conditions of turf but the springiness of grass. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Asphalt for a few years, then everyone will be fine with turf

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

They're probably still a 7 to 9 win team unless Zach Wilson goes full Zach Wilson.  That defense is still loaded with talent, and they have enough offensive weapons to keep things interesting.

I was thinking this way too, similar results to last year, but the Jets schedule is brutal this year.  In addition to division games they have the Cowboys, Chiefs, Broncos, Eagles, Giants, Chargers, Raiders, Commanders, Texans, and Browns.  There's like 3 wins in there.

13 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I was thinking this way too, similar results to last year, but the Jets schedule is brutal this year.  In addition to division games they have the Cowboys, Chiefs, Broncos, Eagles, Giants, Chargers, Raiders, Commanders, Texans, and Browns.  There's like 3 wins in there.

A LOT can change over the course of a week.  I mean, how many people thought Aaron Rodgers' season would be over after 4 snaps?  NY has winnable games over New England (x2), Denver, NY Giants, Las Vegas, Atlanta, Houston, Washington, and Cleveland.  Even if they only win 4 of those 9 games, that still puts them at 5 wins.  They'd need to be unbelievably bad or really unlucky.

Just now, PossibleCabbage said:

I mean, the Jets winning 5 games would not be a surprise.  They're not going to bottom out where they get a shot at Caleb or Drake (which would complicate things with Rodgers.)

A pick in the 3-7 range might be exactly what the doctor ordered though, since they'd likely have a chance to select one of Joe Alt or Olumuyiwa Fashanu.

Yeah, the Jets should be willing to sell the farm for a legit Left Tackle, just figure out who that guy is and then draft him.  They might not need to do anything except sit and pick.

The Jets have a history of getting stuck with a really good player who plays for a position they don't really need though.  So I could see them drafting Verse, or Latu, or McKinstry.

16 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Yeah, the Jets should be willing to sell the farm for a legit Left Tackle, just figure out who that guy is and then draft him.  They might not need to do anything except sit and pick.

The Jets have a history of getting stuck with a really good player who plays for a position they don't really need though.  So I could see them drafting Verse, or Latu, or McKinstry.

They should trade Rodgers and recoup whatever they can to some other sucker

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

For real. 

Every year we hear terrible things about how Soldier Field and Heinz Field are like playing in a mine field by the time December rolls around. 

The players want the best of all worlds, the perfect conditions of turf but the springiness of grass. 

They want good playing surfaces, really not too much to ask. Soldier Field is an embarrassment as a professional sports surface. Our field is outstanding at holding up to the conditions.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

They want good playing surfaces, really not too much to ask. Soldier Field is an embarrassment as a professional sports surface. Our field is outstanding at holding up to the conditions.

What is "Good"?

99.9% of college players would love to play on a field as nice as MetLife Stadium. 

+++

As far as the players wanting things, GREAT take it up in the collective bargaining agreement like grown *** adults. 

You don't get to sign a contract and then attempt to bully the other party through the press to give you additional concessions. 

If the players want the owners to pay millions of dollars them better working conditions, they're going to need to give up additional revenue. 

• Like 1

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

What is "Good"?

99.9% of college players would love to play on a field as nice as MetLife Stadium. 

+++

As far as the players wanting things, GREAT take it up in the collective bargaining agreement like grown *** adults. 

You don't get to sign a contract and then attempt to bully the other party through the press to give you additional concessions. 

If the players want the owners to pay millions of dollars them better working conditions, they're going to need to give up additional revenue. 

I played on a brand new college turf field, nice isn't what Id call it. Pellets in all orifices, turf burns, cleats catching when you don't want them to. It was a hype fad for it's sharp look and low maintenance, it's fast to play on but I'd rather be tackled on grass any day of the week. 

It's a player safety issue, they shouldn't have to make concessions on that. You sound like a total suit taking that stance. The NFL is going to get hit massively hard in the ratings game until they can flex the Jets out of primetime. Money is made when the best product is on the field.

• Like 4