NFL News & Notes

Leader

3 minutes ago, Norm said:

Sadly I don't think this is anything new

Perhaps not...but conflicts such as this are on the rise across all forums. People are just fighting and kicking the **** out of each other. I'm really, really (really) surprised more people havent pulled out a gun and ended somebody.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

I’ve got bad news for you…

I said "more people" - not "any people".

There's A LOT of guns out there...in the hands of A LOT of people who have no clue how to handle them.
Add in flash violence like this (that seems to be happening everywhere....)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Leader said:

Add in flash violence like this (that seems to be happening everywhere....)

Personally, I hate how much ppl get off on these fight videos. So many social media accounts dedicated to them and they have hundreds of thousands of followers if not more. Throw in the endless RTs and there’s a scary level of glorification of this kind of culture (the comments alone are terrifying).  Unfortunately, humanity is notorious for its insatiable appetite for violence. 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, thrILL! said:

Personally, I hate how much ppl get off on these fight videos. So many social media accounts dedicated to them and they have hundreds of thousands of followers if not more. Throw in the endless RTs and there’s a scary level of glorification of this kind of culture (the comments alone are terrifying).  Unfortunately, humanity is notorious for its insatiable appetite for violence. 

Not going to lie, sometimes I get in the mood for watching the late night Denny's brawls.

I think part of the issue is that everyone has an HD camera in their pocket now.  So instead of a shouting match, a couple of shoves and a punch, then 5 guys stepping in and separating the combatants; you get guys going at it and 10 people grabbing their phones to post it to whichever social media site that they prefer.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I think part of the issue is that everyone has an HD camera in their pocket now.  So instead of a shouting match, a couple of shoves and a punch, then 5 guys stepping in and separating the combatants; you get guys going at it and 10 people grabbing their phones to post it to whichever social media site that they prefer.  

Agreed.  Esp when there are 50+ kids on their phones and they’re all filming some kid getting stomped at school and no one is trying to break it up.  Fights happen but trying to viral off them is messed up. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Agreed.  Esp when there are 50+ kids on their phones and they’re all filming some kid getting stomped at school and no one is trying to break it up.  Fights happen but trying to viral off them is messed up. 

I was going to add, but I didn't, and now I will... There seems to be a feeling of if you post the best video you will be famous or rich or something.  But things like this just get copied and reuploaded to "top 10 fights compilation" videos and you get nothing out of it.  And again, I think that if there aren't 10 people trying to video the thing, probably half of these fights don't need to happen, just separate the two.  

BUT fights always have happened.  We just now have every single person with a pretty high quality camera and easy access to distributing videos to a ridiculously wide audience.  Think of a fight in the 80s, you would have happened to have had a huge home video camera and turned it on in time to see the fight.  Not that likely.  Whereas today I can take a 30 second video of me picking my nose and send it to you direct or put it on youtube within 2 minutes.

Also, in a similar vein, the older I get, the more I try to stay away from high testosterone, high alcohol places.  Boxing or MMA PPV night at the bar, there is always some dude that can't handle drinking whiskey and needs to prove something.  And that is great, maybe he has nothing to lose.  But I do.  Get a few of those kind of dudes in a room, and eventually there is going to be a problem.  I'm just over it.  Let me watch the guys I paid to watch punch each other do it while I have a drink.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Also, in a similar vein, the older I get, the more I try to stay away from high testosterone, high alcohol places.  Boxing or MMA PPV night at the bar, there is always some dude that can't handle drinking whiskey and needs to prove something.  And that is great, maybe he has nothing to lose.  But I do.  Get a few of those kind of dudes in a room, and eventually there is going to be a problem.  I'm just over it.  Let me watch the guys I paid to watch punch each other do it while I have a drink.

Lol.  So true.  

I'll add this to your mix.  Cheap beer or rail mixes.  Drink specials.  All you can drink specials. 

Gimme a place that charges high prices and has real security.  I am not in college and do not need to be around those that are.  Apologies to everyone who is still in that phase.  Mine ended about 20-25 years ago.

And...whiskey never makes me prove anything.  Check that.  Jack Daniels does.  I'm never fighting anyone else, but him.  Him and his stupid cousin, Jim Beam.  They usually kick my butt pretty good.

Bourbon on the other hand...nice and mellow.