NFL News & Notes

Leader

5 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I really wonder how much Rodgers is inserting himself into the narrative is because if he wasn't the questions would be more along the lines of "by all rights, the Jets should replace their offensive coaching staff after a dreadful showing in 2023, but Hackett is Rodgers' buddy" which would be uncomfortable for him.

You wanna know....reading the AR tea leaves isnt my job anymore....and I couldnt be happier. 

• Like 1

If you are the Jets, don't you just write this one off as a loss and give it another go next year?  What good can happen with putting a hobbled Rodgers out there behind a line that can't protect the much younger Zach Wilson? They still have a game against that Cleveland defense later this season.  Take your losses, get a good draft pick, and actually scout linemen this offseason.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I really wonder how much Rodgers is inserting himself into the narrative is because if he wasn't the questions would be more along the lines of "by all rights, the Jets should replace their offensive coaching staff after a dreadful showing in 2023, but Hackett is Rodgers' buddy" which would be uncomfortable for him.

Isn't that still the narrative regardless? I check the Jets subreddit a lot (shaudenfreude? sadism?) and they all talk about feeling held hostage by Rodgers, who they're afraid will retire if they fire Hackett, release Cobb, bench Lazard, etc. Even Saleh and Douglas's jobs would almost certainly be up in the air if there wasn't this question of Rodgers looming over the franchise at all times. I am so happy he's not our problem anymore...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

If you are the Jets, don't you just write this one off as a loss and give it another go next year?  What good can happen with putting a hobbled Rodgers out there behind a line that can't protect the much younger Zach Wilson? They still have a game against that Cleveland defense later this season.  Take your losses, get a good draft pick, and actually scout linemen this offseason.  

When he said he might come back they still had a shot at making a run. He was trying to motivate the team and probably authentic in his intent to make a return for a playoff run. That would have been quite a legacy in the book of Rodgers.

Now that they are basicallly done, he will be in bubble wrap. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lodestar said:

Isn't that still the narrative regardless? I check the Jets subreddit a lot (shaudenfreude? sadism?) and they all talk about feeling held hostage by Rodgers, who they're afraid will retire if they fire Hackett, release Cobb, bench Lazard, etc. Even Saleh and Douglas's jobs would almost certainly be up in the air if there wasn't this question of Rodgers looming over the franchise at all times. I am so happy he's not our problem anymore...

God forbid the Jets grab a guy to replace him in the next year or two.

The best part is, the Jets have no choice but to convince themselves this year was a fluke and next season will be their year.  The reality is that things are only going to get worse. They need to cut their losses and move on, but from a practical standpoint they can't.

Sound familiar?

• Like 2