NFL News & Notes

Leader

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

I think common sense would tell anyone that using the 9/11 attack as an example of great teamwork is a terrible idea.  Did McDermott also discuss how prepared and coordinated the kids who attacked Columbine were?  Heck, why not go for broke and discuss how organized the Nazi's were.  Jesus.

Pretty much this. We should all just point and laugh that this was all the mental capacity he could muster in his head while looking for an example. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Maybe he can go to a school and tell the kids if you're passionate about something, stay motivated, work out a good plan and keep perservering you can accomplish exactly what you want, just like Jeffrey Dahmer or Carl Panzram did!

50+ Chilling The Silence of the Lambs Quotes - Sir QuotesALot

13 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Those things should all be talked about.

Why are we so afraid to address reality? I don't get it. Don't conflate discussion with celebrating.

Who said anything about not wanting to discuss these subjects?  They absolutely need to be talked about.  Using these subjects as motivational tools for examples of great teamwork is a completely different thing.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I'm not arguing that it's not socially unacceptable. I just don't think it should be. Openly talking about this stuff more would be helpful. Making it less taboo so that it is not that "distasteful".

I get that it's weird because he should know it wouldn't be received well. I'm not arguing that. Just overall feel things would be better if we didn't feign so much outrage all the time.

It's not that big of a deal, the point got across, someone refused the awkwardness, people remembered it because it was strange. But people will be "outraged" by this and it's ridiculous.

As an observation of mine, society in general feigns outrage too often.

But let's not mistake that with people out there who had legitimate outrage over the 9-11 attacks.  As in, the attacks drastically affected their lives instantly....as well as affected their lives in the future.

Considering how I feel on this topic, you can probably guess which bucket of folks I fall into and why I feel strongly against the McDermott speech, if in fact it did happen. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Who said anything about not wanting to discuss these subjects?  They absolutely need to be talked about.  Using these subjects as motivational tools for examples of great teamwork is a completely different thing.

My opinion?  It is also dishonest.

I'd go into specifics, but I really do not want to scratch the wound open.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

None of us were there for the content or tone. 

There are absolutely tasteful ways an NFL coach could broach the topic. 

He's apologized for it already though, too. So it seems like he wasn't thrilled about his delivery. 

That doesn't mean the topic by itself is grounds for immediate feigned outrage.

Edited by incognito_man

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Cool.  I didn't want to take tweet as written truth.

He addressed in in a press conference of some sort. Dont know if it was specifically called to address this or he opened his usual press meeting with his comments.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

As an observation of mine, society in general feigns outrage too often.

But let's not mistake that with people out there who had legitimate outrage over the 9-11 attacks.  As in, the attacks drastically affected their lives instantly....as well as affected their lives in the future.

Considering how I feel on this topic, you can probably guess which bucket of folks I fall into and why I feel strongly against the McDermott speech, if in fact it did happen. 

There is probably an equal amount of feigned outrage and *** who provoke people needlessly. My gut feeling is that McDermott is not in the latter camp. So my initial impression was it was a guy (who, from everything I've ever heard about him before this) seems like a good dude who either:

(1) Made a thoughtful comparison that some people didn't appreciate but most people understand at the time was tactful

(2) Didn't think it through well enough, but was not ill-intentioned.

In either of those cases, I think feigned outrage was an inappropriate response. 

But, yes, of course I understand "real" outrage is a perfectly acceptable response for many people that are understandably sensitive to the topic. If he crassly overlooked that, he should apologize (and he did immediately to his team)

I was able to read his comments and I still maintain that 9/11 was a terrible, tragic event.     Anyone else on this board change their opinion of the day because he discussed their teamwork in coordinating the attack?       

Anyone else able to read about the tactical brilliance of Robert E Lee and Stonewall Jackson and still come away determined that slavery was indeed a terrible, tragic thing?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kampfgeist said:

I was able to read his comments and I still maintain that 9/11 was a terrible, tragic event.     Anyone else on this board change their opinion of the day because he discussed their teamwork in coordinating the attack?       

Anyone else able to read about the tactical brilliance of Robert E Lee and Stonewall Jackson and still come away determined that slavery was indeed a terrible, tragic thing?

Your post made me recognize that this topic is kinda at the forefront of my mind because i'm currently reading Gone w/ the Wind and it's written from a southern perspective of the civil war where those generals are celebrated by the characters. It also touches on strategy (on both sides) - and the reader is allowed to maintain whatever allegiance they have while appreciating the logistics involved.

@Packerraymond ridicules McDermott on his "mental capacity" for bringing up this example. I feel that those who cannot separate the logistic appreciation from the moral depravity to be the ones who are actually less capable.

Edited by incognito_man
  • Like 1