NFL News & Notes

Leader

23 hours ago, Leader said:

I'm not hiring belichick unless he's willing to work with new people.

A lot of the issues are the people he "trusts"

In fact, I think BB might be cooked at this point.  He's too proud not to do it his way (and who wouldn't be, with his resume) and not connected enough with the right people to make his way work.

16 hours ago, incognito_man said:

It's crazy to me these guys aren't laser focused on their playoff games

It's a broken process because of ownership. Logical thought would be, if you want Ben Johnson, you hold pat and wait for him to be available after the season is over. What actually happens is these guys aren't patient and just move on to someone else. If Johnson wants to be a HC, he unfortunately has to cram it all in. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, incognito_man said:

It's crazy to me these guys aren't laser focused on their playoff games

For how long?  In the not too distant past, the guys who weren't interviewing at this stage are the same guys who lost out on the prime HC positions.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Sports Illustrated just laid off basically its entire staff via email: 

Looks like no commemorative SI issue for the Packers' SB victory this year...

Bill Huber does some nice Packers work for SI.  He said in a tweet that he's been receiving lots of messages, but that he's fine, and will be covering the Packers for many seasons to come.  A lot of these guys probably saw the writing on the wall for some time, but still sucks for many.

3 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

I'm not hiring belichick unless he's willing to work with new people.

A lot of the issues are the people he "trusts"

In fact, I think BB might be cooked at this point.  He's too proud not to do it his way (and who wouldn't be, with his resume) and not connected enough with the right people to make his way work.

Belichick isn’t cooked. He’s still the best head coach in football overall.

He’s always been terrible as a GM. Always. Look at his drafting and it’s a miracle the Patriots won anything much less 6 rings.

He has managed to turn nobody players into lucrative free agent failures. Half the major contracts over the past ten years have been Patriots that never lived up to their status. Chandler Jones I think is the only non-Brady to have any success outside of New England.

Belichick’s problem is he overrated offense. Dude threw defensive coaches onto the offensive side of the ball.

If he can get McDaniels back as his offensive coordinator and just give McDaniels complete control of the offense, plus get even Kirk Cousins level QB play, he will be a top contender for a ring.

The Patriots fell apart because they ruined their QB. Had they drafted Brady’s replacement a year or two before they moved on from Brady, the Patriots likely don’t miss the postseason.

If they drafted his replacement with McDaniels coaching the replacement and someone else drafting players, they probably win a ring right after Brady.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

For how long?  In the not too distant past, the guys who weren't interviewing at this stage are the same guys who lost out on the prime HC positions.

I know he has to if he wants a gig, system is broken. I'd be nervous about all that if I were a Detroit fan

• Like 1

5 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Sports Illustrated just laid off basically its entire staff via email: 

Looks like no commemorative SI issue for the Packers' SB victory this year...

Ol buddy Paul Zimmerman got me through many boring hours of HS. Wild. The times keep changing

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Another example of MLF being 2 steps ahead of his peers.  Nobody wants anyone on his staff, so they are all totally focused on SF.

I feel like Joe Barry walks into the interview room, lets out an impressive fart, then immediately asks the interviewer if they did it.