NFL News & Notes

Leader

8 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I think the real lesson isn't where to pick WRs, or even not to pay them.  We are now in an NFL where WRs make a lot more money, comparatively, than they did in the past.  The good ones are going to cost a lot on a second contract, and those ones will be worth the money.  The key is properly identifying which ones to re-sign or to poach in free agency. And which to let go rather than pay.

For example, was MVS a good player?  I say yes.  Was he worth what the Chiefs paid him? Not even close.

I will also say that the current Packers WR line up is a bit of an anomaly.  We happen to have a good group of second and third year players.  The coaching and scouting departments deserve a lot of praise.  But we have to be careful calling that a solution.  You can't just tell the Colts to draft 5 WRs in the next two drafts and then say they are set.  

I think we agree here. no one is saying we shouldn't keep our eyes out for another WR, just that it doesn't need to be a 1st round pick in doing so. Say one of the big FSU WR's drops to the end of the 2nd early 3rd. That's good value for a guy who maybe every bit as good as Higgins or Pitman with much less invested. 

3 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I think the real lesson isn't where to pick WRs, or even not to pay them.  We are now in an NFL where WRs make a lot more money, comparatively, than they did in the past.  The good ones are going to cost a lot on a second contract, and those ones will be worth the money.  The key is properly identifying which ones to re-sign or to poach in free agency. And which to let go rather than pay.

For example, was MVS a good player?  I say yes.  Was he worth what the Chiefs paid him? Not even close.

I will also say that the current Packers WR line up is a bit of an anomaly.  We happen to have a good group of second and third year players.  The coaching and scouting departments deserve a lot of praise.  But we have to be careful calling that a solution.  You can't just tell the Colts to draft 5 WRs in the next two drafts and then say they are set.  

No, you can’t always hit in the draft like we have but we had to go full rebuild after not having a solid post Adams plan. We took a bunch of swings and beat the odds with several being good and possible long term starters. Guys will still have to prove they can maintain the high level of play but we have to credit the players and the f/o for bringing them in, but also the coaches and system for making it work.

We will hopefully be in a position to trade one or two of these guys, keep one or two of these guys and keep the pipeline of young talent rolling in via the draft. I think the WR market will be due for a correction at some point. QBs are way overpaid but still can be a multiplier for your offense and really shut down your season if you don’t have one. Top tier WR is a luxury but at more than 10% of the cap, I don’t think they make the team so much better than a solid vet  or a good young player and the ability to sure up other weaknesses on the roster. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

because none of our valuable receivers are projecting towards that Davante Adams/Ja'marr Chase/Justin Jefferson level player.  Those players are usually first round picks.  Once in a long while you can get a Davante.  But usually you get Tee Higgins/Michael Pittman, which is more the tier of player we have in Watson/Reed

Saying our WR's aren't projecting towards being a Adams/Chase/Jefferson level player doesn't actually mean anything.  Davante Adams wasn't projecting towards being a Davante Adams level player early in his career.  Very few WR's ever do.  If GB keeps restocking the WR group with a steady stream of Higgens/Pittman level players while reserving the RD1 picks for other positions, that would be fantastic.

Spending mid/late RD1 picks at WR is more likely to result in a Reagor vs a Jefferson.  As likely as not, the result will be a Higgens/Pittman.

Adam Schefter -  Another QB trade: Commanders are sending last year’s starter Sam Howell to the Seahawks in a pick swap, per sources.

Trade:
🏈Seahawks receive Howell, a fourth-round pick (No. 102), a sixth (No. 179).

🏈Commanders receive a third (No. 78) and a fifth (No. 152).

///

Justin Fields options are evaporating.

Mac Jones just went to a great situation. Ride the bench while getting re-coached by Pederson.

Very tough to come back for a young QB ruined by defensive minded coaches, and I don’t think it’s possible for him to come back after being wrecked by the notoriously difficult McDaniels and then defensive coordinators pretending to be offensive coordinators, but if there was a best option for him I think this was it second only to the Chiefs.