NFL News & Notes

Leader

2 hours ago, Leader said:

LOL. That motion would have gone far.

It would not have, obviously. 

But the same people who whine about Dylan Roof getting fed while in police custody are the same people who incessantly whine every time some career criminal bumps his head trying to stab a cop. 

If you campaign for "The Rights of Prisoners" you don't get to complain when a prisoner you don't like gets treated like a human being. 

40 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Where would these former Packers have fit in from a risk factor?

Eddie Lee Ivory - Accused of raping a stripper.

James Lofton - Was with Eddie Lee Ivory

Darren Sharper

Johnny Jolly

Mossy Cade (we traded a FRP for him) he rated his aunt and went to jail for it. 

Mark Chmura - the hot tub 

Najeh Davenpoop

When you start talking about these things that happened 40 years ago, it's not really comparable to today, but:

Ivory and Lofton - DA declined to bring charges based on a lack of evidence. 

Sharper - Dude was a straight up psychopath. His pattern of criminal behavior, non financial crimes starting at 36 is incredibly anomalous. 

Johnny Jolly - Was a late round draft pick despite having really solid physical tools, mostly because he was a widely known knucklehead. Reading between the lines, it's extremely likely that Jolly developed drug issues after his injury in 07 and never really beat them. Once he was having those issues, his life followed an extremely predictable pattern. 

Mossy Cade - IIRC, Cade and his brother were both known problem kids in college that turned out to be criminal adults, admittedly I can't really find anything on this one. 

Chmura - Ultimately beat the charges, but still, not good. 

Davenport - Isn't breaking into a woman's dorm room to **** in a laundry basket the exact sort of thing that leads one to think he might end up later in life, in a courtroom for domestic violence and endangerment?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

When you start talking about these things that happened 40 years ago, it's not really comparable to today, but:

Ivory and Lofton - DA declined to bring charges based on a lack of evidence. 

Sharper - Dude was a straight up psychopath. His pattern of criminal behavior, non financial crimes starting at 36 is incredibly anomalous. 

Johnny Jolly - Was a late round draft pick despite having really solid physical tools, mostly because he was a widely known knucklehead. Reading between the lines, it's extremely likely that Jolly developed drug issues after his injury in 07 and never really beat them. Once he was having those issues, his life followed an extremely predictable pattern. 

Mossy Cade - IIRC, Cade and his brother were both known problem kids in college that turned out to be criminal adults, admittedly I can't really find anything on this one. 

Chmura - Ultimately beat the charges, but still, not good. 

Davenport - Isn't breaking into a woman's dorm room to **** in a laundry basket the exact sort of thing that leads one to think he might end up later in life, in a courtroom for domestic violence and endangerment?

In a roundabout way you are making my point. There is no science to this ****. 

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Where would these former Packers have fit in from a risk factor?

Eddie Lee Ivory - Accused of raping a stripper.

James Lofton - Was with Eddie Lee Ivory

Darren Sharper

Johnny Jolly

Mossy Cade (we traded a FRP for him) he rated his aunt and went to jail for it. 

Mark Chmura - the hot tub 

Najeh Davenpoop

No Randy Woodfield?

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

In a roundabout way you are making my point. There is no science to this ****. 

Of course there's no perfect science. But you can get pretty darn close and the rest of it will wash out on average as you get larger sample sizes. 

The other issue is the sample you're using. The Packers already filter for this bull****, so the ones that get through are the exceptions. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Packer_ESP said:

It doesn't take a precog, just character screening and taking prior crimes / misdemeanors into account. The Packers hardly ever have this kind of stuff and I don't think it's just a coincidence.

precog is fetal incog

• Like 1

Must have thought it was the drive-in lane.

Cleveland Browns defensive end Lonnie Phelps was charged with drunken driving Wednesday night after police said he crashed his SUV into a Florida restaurant.

Phelps also faces a charge for damaging property following the incident at the Red Shoe Island Bistro in Key West.

Phelps, 23, was taken into custody after refusing to cooperate with officers, according to a Monroe County Sheriff's Office report obtained by Cleveland.com.

Photographs reportedly from the scene were posted online by TMZ Sports and showed a vehicle wedged into the side of the restaurant. Reports estimated the damages at $300,000.

I think one of the hardest things to get right in terms of a draft evaluation is "what is this kid going to do once he's got a million dollars in his checking account?"  Since a lot of young men are absolute morons around the ages of 17-22 who should not be trusted to keep a goldfish alive let alone to manage having enough money to do whatever they want without doing something terribly regrettable.

Like there's a lot of guys in the draft who liked to party in College.  Sometimes those guys turn into Travis Kelce, sometimes they turn into Johnny Manziel.  I think what teams rely on a lot here is "gut feelings" they get when they talk to the kid in the draft process.  But let's not forget that Donald Driver used to steal cars as a kid.  Some people are capable of moving past their youthful indiscretions, and some of them aren't and it's hard to sort those two bins.

One thing I think we see is that teams have different levels of risk aversion for various trouble spots.  The Packers are notoriously conservative when it comes to medical guys, whereas the 49ers took Marcus Lattimore in the 4th round coming off a major knee injury.  I think teams often reconsider their risk tolerance after a series of misses though.  Like the Bengals used to be notorious for "character guys" but are much less so now.

Edited by PossibleCabbage
  • Like 1