NFL News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Thanks for proving my point with the picture. You can see all of the US players bodies but only partial of two of the Uruguay players. That is because they are offsides. The one guy scored in the deflection which means it should have been called no goal. 

If the deciding factor for the outcome of the game was whether or not a player was offsides by a foot in a game where the USMNT failed to score a goal, they didn’t deserve to win. 

I find it silly to focus on the whether it was offsides or not and not of the the total ineptitude of the offense that has been a common theme for years. The team definitely has some talent so why is the sum of the whole less then its individual pieces?

9 minutes ago, TheGreatZepp said:

If the deciding factor for the outcome of the game was whether or not a player was offsides by a foot in a game where the USMNT failed to score a goal, they didn’t deserve to win. 

I find it silly to focus on the whether it was offsides or not and not of the the total ineptitude of the offense that has been a common theme for years. The team definitely has some talent so why is the sum of the whole less then its individual pieces?

The final score was 1-0. When they counted that goal, it changed the momentum and the whole complexity of the game. 

I'm not saying the US would have scored, but your logic is completely failed. US outplayed them and it was only going to take one goal against a very good team. 

13 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

The final score was 1-0. When they counted that goal, it changed the momentum and the whole complexity of the game. 

I'm not saying the US would have scored, but your logic is completely failed. US outplayed them and it was only going to take one goal against a very good team. 

i don't think the US outplayed Uruguay

On 6/29/2024 at 2:37 PM, PossibleCabbage said:

I thought the "massively expand the NFL" thought experiment was a fun one, but it didn't tackle the basic problem with the idea- diluting the talent pool.  One of the reasons international soccer can support a massive number of elite teams is that basically the entire world plays futbol and you can find talent anywhere.  While the NFL is better at finding like "big athletic guys from Africa and Oceania" than it was 20-30 years ago, it doesn't have the same untapped pool of talent

I'm not sure why everyone is hating on it - Barnwell is one of the best football writers out there and it's dead season, so why not doing something that's dumb fun?

I'm less concerned about how the talent spreads out than with how salcap and revenue sharing might work as teams move up and down (because IIRC Barnwtis engaging in this expansion so that we would be able to have delegation)

52 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

And Uruguay didn't outplay the US

possession was pretty even.  shots and shots on goal were in favor of Uruguay.  I would say quality scoring chances were probably a slight edge to Uruguay.  

The only thing I know about soccer is that the name comes from an original truncating of the early American European Football Association.

We can be happy it wasn’t truncated from ***ociation.

Putting it simple; the USMNT wasn't good enough to survive a dodgy call. It happens a lot for those looking to be up-and-comers. Fixate on them and you'll get a complex, then you become perennial underachievers.

1 hour ago, HighCalebR said:

So the Giants gonna suck this year for sure. When does Mara just say **** it and sell the squad.

The more ****ty owners the better off the Packers will be. He needs keep running things and then pass the franchise along to his spoiled kids. Jerry Jones needs to do the same. The McCaskey's as well. 

This generation of Fords, although she's not a Ford, may have figured things out. They can sell. 

15 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Well the Panthers are going to stink this year. When does Tepper say **** it and sell the team?

Browns' owner's daughter (I'm blanking on her name) was pitching in on this stuff a decade and a half ago.