NFL News & Notes

Leader

15 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

People are all too often obsessed by cost. While I don't spend a fortune on food, equally I don't stint on it.

I buy what I like - and not what is cheap. I seldom buy strawberries or raspberries, for example, which CAN taste amazing but almost always if bought from a supermarket they taste of very little due to how they are grown and then frozen. I do buy chopped Mango often, because they still retain their taste - same with blueberries. With grapes - I buy the 'taste the difference' range (variety Sable or Vittoria) from Sainsburys, because their really IS a big difference between them and the average grape you buy (in a supermarket).

While I'm on a fruit theme, look at the bananas in your supermarket. The best supermarket bananas are a bright yellow. If they look a bit dull they have been frozen (originally they were packed and shipped while green to ripen in transit and arrive at a supermarket bright coloured). All too often these days they are also frozen, where they lose their brightness.

With all the modern growing techniques plus the constant drive from companies to make a product cheaper, all too often food from supermarkets looks terrific, but the taste is very disappointing.

TLDR - Taste, not price, should be the mantra, if you are not in serious financial hardship.

I’ll add in the need for seasonal produce to be available year round!

2 hours ago, Refugee said:

Ramczyk out for the season for NO following knee surgery. I hope he fares better than Bak. He’s been a rock on that line since he stepped into the role. 

That sucks! When did he blow out his knee? 

24 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

That sucks! When did he blow out his knee? 

I think it's just degenerative cartilage loss in his knee.  I know he was getting regular injections in order to keep him playing, but the buzz all offseason was that he was likely headed towards retirement.

23 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I think it's just degenerative cartilage loss in his knee.  I know he was getting regular injections in order to keep him playing, but the buzz all offseason was that he was likely headed towards retirement.

Yeah, only 30 but between the grind of the NFL and his time as a Badger, that’s plenty of work on those knees. Hope he can play again if he wants to but more importantly, hope he can literally walk away from the game when his time comes. 

Cleveland has gotten 12 games out of DeShaun Watson over the past two years. Those were the two years his cap hit was 'manageable.'

The next 3 years his cap is over 63 million dollars each season. His base salary is 46 million each of those years. It is 100% guaranteed. 

There is really no way they can extend him. Not sure how much they can push forward in 'void,' years either. 

Simply put, they are ****ed! 

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Cleveland has gotten 12 games out of DeShaun Watson over the past two years. Those were the two years his cap hit was 'manageable.'

The next 3 years his cap is over 63 million dollars each season. His base salary is 46 million each of those years. It is 100% guaranteed. 

There is really no way they can extend him. Not sure how much they can push forward in 'void,' years either. 

Simply put, they are ****ed! 

Most of the time life really isn't that fair. This is one of those rare moments where they got exactly what they should have... Simply great schadenfreude.

• Like 3

The 2011 CBA changes transformed RD1 rookie contracts from huge risks/burdens to huge bargains.  Funny thing is there is probably very little desire on either side (owners/players) to change it.  Contract issues get a lot of media attention, but affect a very small percentage of players.  The league probably likes having the headlines.

3 hours ago, thrILL! said:

Chase will make slightly over $1m this season.  Don't step on the field until they cut a check.  

I usually don’t agree with this view but in this case, absolutely! While the number I saw was higher than that this year, still not a great message to send to players by the team, they’re already dealing with a couple black eyes in team-player relations.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TheGreatZepp said:

I usually don’t agree with this view but in this case, absolutely! While the number I saw was higher than that this year, still not a great message to send to players by the team, they’re already dealing with a couple black eyes in team-player relations.

Wonder if Chase will holdout ?

19 minutes ago, TheGreatZepp said:

He’s got a 1mil base but signining+roster comes out to about a 10mil cap hit this year and next year has the 5th year option. He’s been great for them but to sign a WR to long term 35+ mil a year gets complicated. The Pack will have some real decisions to make in a year or two and some feelings are likely to get hurt. Glad it’s not this year, though. 

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

Wonder if Chase will holdout ?

The number is low enough to consider holding out for as long as it takes to get a new deal potentially into the season and beyond. 

2 hours ago, thrILL! said:

The number is low enough to consider holding out for as long as it takes to get a new deal potentially into the season and beyond. 

I guess Lamb is holding out in Dallas. These WR know what the top contracts are going for. I guess I don’t know if an A+ WR moves the needle that much more than a B+ WR as long as the QB and line are sound.  You’d better have a guy who can do it all, is durable and hopefully not a headcase/idiot to make sure that investment makes sense. The whole market is out of whack and will get crazier over the next few years. The thing is Chase and Lamb probably really are some of the best young talent at the position. It would be crazy to let either walk but they want a new deal to stay. I don’t blame them but it is a tough spot. 

11 hours ago, TheGreatZepp said:

If the Bengals were a smart organization, they wouldn't be the Bengals. 

A brief dalliance with analytics is making people forget that deep in their soul, the Bengals are a lolcow organization.