NFL News & Notes

Leader

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Which is honestly probably fine for the teams. So long as they're mainly farting around with installs and it's a vet, who cares?

Overall it’s fine, and for the long term vets like AR or Favre they do not get as much out of July and August as the young guys. Still, the young guys get a much better look when QB1 is back there. The offense rolls without as many hiccups and the defense has to be prepared for a full menu.

Clifford and Pratt should be getting some work. It’s good to keep Love fresh, to be ready if needed and to see if they are good enough to stick. I’m still glad QB1 is dealing and I’m sure the coaches feel the same way. 

I'm happy team's like the 49er's are putting their foot down on these players who are demanding to be paid. QBs I get it they have all the leverage. But now these WRs are driving up their position price. Make Aiyuk and Williams honor their contracts and negotiate afterwards. I would love to keep as many of our young WRs as possible but that position is getting too rich.

Edited by St Vince

2 hours ago, St Vince said:

Make Aiyuk and Williams honor their contracts and negotiate afterwards. 

You say that like NFL teams always honor theirs.  It goes both ways.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eternal said:

They don't when they cut a player or restructure a contract

When they cut a player, he gets paid any guaranteed money still owed. That is why contracts have guaranteed money. 

When they restructure a player, the player has to sign off on the restructure. 

When a pay cut is negotiated the player has to agree to it. Those usually happen when it's either a pay cut or be released. 

It's a legally binding agreement the teams have to adhere to. Players decide I'm out of guaranteed money, in Williams case, and hold out. He looks at the roster and knows he can get more. Actually, in Williams case, he may very well be waiting for the preseason to be over before he reports. On day one of the regular season his entire 20 million becomes guaranteed. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Anybody know why Trent Willliams isn't showing up on the 49ers cap at over the cap or spotrac? 

San Francisco 49ers 2024 Financial Summary (spotrac.com)

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/san-francisco-49ers

he is listed further down on each.  

over the cap

Non-Active Roster Cap Charges

Dead Money
Name Cap Number
$10,313,824
$5,540,956
$1,464,000
$819,000
$800,000
$447,652
TOTAL $19,459,437
Suspended
Name Cap Number
Trent Williams $10,756,777
TOTAL $10,756,777

spotrac

2024 Reserve/Did Not Report Camp

Cap breakdowns for players who did not report to the team. All count against the team's cap.

1 hour ago, Eternal said:

They don't when they cut a player or restructure a contract

Both of these actions are accounted for within the terms of the signed contract.  The team is 100% honoring the terms of the deal.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, squire12 said:

he is listed further down on each.  

over the cap

Non-Active Roster Cap Charges

Dead Money
Name Cap Number
$10,313,824
$5,540,956
$1,464,000
$819,000
$800,000
$447,652
TOTAL $19,459,437
Suspended
Name Cap Number
Trent Williams $10,756,777
TOTAL $10,756,777

spotrac

2024 Reserve/Did Not Report Camp

Cap breakdowns for players who did not report to the team. All count against the team's cap.

Thanks! I thought his 20-million-dollar salary was his cap number though. 

The basic problem with Zach Wilson is that he's really uncomfortable getting hit, which is not abnormal for a person, but is a problem when you play football and you're not like a kicker.  If you put him behind the best offensive line in the history of football from the get-go, he could have been usable (this is why he played well at BYU- he had grown-*** men blocking for him), but I think he might be broken.

On 7/30/2024 at 12:50 AM, St Vince said:

I'm happy team's like the 49er's are putting their foot down on these players who are demanding to be paid. QBs I get it they have all the leverage. But now these WRs are driving up their position price. Make Aiyuk and Williams honor their contracts and negotiate afterwards. I would love to keep as many of our young WRs as possible but that position is getting too rich.

It's more like the 49ers have been forced to lower that foot. their finances simply cannot support another huge contract without badly impacting their future. If they paid top dollar for Aiyuk (and continued to keep Deebo) how on earth would they pay their QB Brock Purdy next year.

On 7/29/2024 at 7:50 PM, St Vince said:

I'm happy team's like the 49er's are putting their foot down on these players who are demanding to be paid.

You mean like last year when they ended the Bosa holdout in early September with a contract that made him the top paid defensive player in the league?

• Like 1