NFL News & Notes

Leader

15 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Also ended up shielding a kid when the shooting started at the Chiefs’ victory parade. We have so many of them we wash them away and move on but not as easy to forget for the people who were part of it. 

You can't really assume anybody who attended high school this century doesn't have PTSD for similar reasons.  The intersection of those people and "people who are really good at football" is unlikely to be empty.

I just can't understand why DAL can't seem to take that final step toward becoming an elite team again.  I knew people were taking shots at Jones for prioritizing profits over wins, but I didn't know the numbers were this ugly.

Some noteworthy blurbs from a new piece posted @ The Ringer 

Jerry Jones is one month older than President Joe Biden. Unlike Biden, Jones has no plans to step aside anytime soon. In August, the 81-year-old was asked whether he was thinking of hiring anyone to help him run the team. “Hell no,” Jones told Clarence Hill of All Dallas. “There’s nobody that could ******* come in here and do all the contracts … and be a GM any better than I can.”

The Dallas Cowboys—ostensibly the most valuable sports franchise in the world at $10 billion—are operating like a small-market team. As Blogging the Boys broke down earlier this year, from 2013 to 2016, the Cowboys ranked 25th in the NFL in cash spending. (Cash spending is actual money being paid to players each year. There is no limit on the cash a team can spend each season as long as it is properly accounted for over a five-year window.

From 2016 to 2019, the Cowboys ranked dead last in cash spending. And from 2021 to 2023, the Cowboys ranked 30th. The trend has continued this season. As of mid-August, they ranked dead last in 2024 cash spending. And even after Lamb’s contract, they rank just 30th. Dallas is spending less money on its roster than the Arizona Cardinals, a team so notoriously cheap that two years ago, it deducted the cost of boxed dinners from players’ paychecks.

Edited by Mazrimiv

The thing I heard regarding the Cowboys lack of spending is that Jones is still all for spending stupid money, but his kids are more invested in the "we COULD spend and try to get over the hump, but another idea is to NOT spend and sit on this increasing pile of gold in my Scrooge McDuck-style vault." 

22 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I read all kind of stuff. From both perspectives I agree with and don't. Then I draw my own conclusions. Limiting yourself to only opinions you agree with is narrow minded, IMO. 

It's amazing how one can change their minds if they are not afraid to hear other opinions and are open to being wrong. 

Maybe it's just me, but this doesn't sound like you are reading all kinds of stuff from both perspectives.

On 9/2/2024 at 11:03 AM, Old Guy said:

Every time I read something about San Francisco it's another business closing because of crime. Sad! 

It was once one of the great cities in the US. 

• Like 1

Something tells me there was an ongoing theme in the Titans camp.

“If somebody tells you they’re not nervous, there’s no pressure, they’re lying to you or they don’t care,” Narveson said. “I think there’s always pressure. Pressure is a privilege, in my opinion. Pressure means that you’ve done the right things at the right time to show everybody how hard you’ve worked. That’s all.”

"Pressure is a privilege," Levis said. "It means there's a lot of eyes on you, a lot of people counting on you to succeed. Pressure is cool. I welcome it with open arms."

6 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Regarding Narveson....he won over Jaire on Day One.  So he's my boy.  I don't feel like JA is one to dole out undeserved praise.

At the very least, Narveson seems to project a self-confidence that Anders never did.

Edited by Mazrimiv

7 hours ago, Leader said:

Bateman must know he sucks! He signed a two-year extension for about 12-million-dollars. How the F did the Ravens convince him of that deal. 

Tavon Austin was never worth that money either. He hadn't done squad as a WR prior to that. He was a decent return guy, but nobody is paying returners over 10 a year. 

16 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Bateman must know he sucks! He signed a two-year extension for about 12-million-dollars. How the F did the Ravens convince him of that deal. 

Tavon Austin was never worth that money either. He hadn't done squad as a WR prior to that. He was a decent return guy, but nobody is paying returners over 10 a year. 

Has Bateman even done enough to justify that contract???

1,200 yards, 4 TD's in 34 games over 3 years.

Seems more like a guy you may want to replace.

16 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Tavon Austin was never worth the money, nor the first round pick.  Leave it to the "we want to move to LA" Rams to draft a 5'2, 120 pound WR, 8th overall.