NFL News & Notes

Leader

25 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Any system that doesn't have a place for a running back with 3400 rushing yards in three years with 24 touchdowns and 4.3 yards per attempt is a system that is stupid. 

I just can't get over the stupidity of the move.  Bears are probably assuming their defense will be just as good or better, so let Howard rack up rushing yards while you're ahead and milking the clock and let him leave in free agency, getting you a 4th or 5th round pick next year instead of a 6th, conditional fifth.

The Bears literally got less than nothing for Howard in this trade considering what they would have gotten for him had they let his ROOKIE contract run out. 

And correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the Bears still pay Howard, meaning they don't get any cap space from the trade? 

Jordan Howard made the offense more predictable when he was in. I understand the move from both sides. The Bears wouldn't re-sign him, so they probably get a 6-7th comp pick in 2021 for letting him go in 2020. So they trade him and bump the pick up 1 year, and they'll no doubt replace Howard this year with a more versatile mid round back.

The Eagles on the other hand give up a 5/6 in 2020 and will get a pick back in 2021 with a comp pick (or re-sign him), and add a 2 down back that fits their offense for 1 year. 

I think it's unlikely that Howard nets more than a 6th comp pick, more likely a 7.

Chicago doesn't pick until the 3rd this year, and in the 2020 draft they have no 1sts, two 2nds, and no 3rds. 

14 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Got rid of a solid player. Good for us.

Its not like he was overly expensive either. When you're desperate to get rid of a good player to save just a bit of $$, you may have over extended your resources. 

I know some disagree, but the bears went all out for a window that wasn't there and they're going to pay for it going forward by being limited in the draft and free agency as these players get older. 2019 Division window? Sure. Championship window? Nah.

2 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Its not like he was overly expensive either. When you're desperate to get rid of a good player to save just a bit of $$, you may have over extended your resources. 

I know some disagree, but the bears went all out for a window that wasn't there and they're going to pay for it going forward by being limited in the draft and free agency as these players get older. 2019 Division window? Sure. Championship window? Nah.

They need Trubisky to become elite in order to have a window. Anybody think that is realistic? The odds are like 95/5 he turns out to be average to Blake Bortles compared to him becoming elite. 

The 2021 draft they are going to be QB shopping with a new HC and GM in IMO. At that point the proverbial window is going to be slammed shut. 

14 minutes ago, Golfman said:

They need Trubisky to become elite in order to have a window. Anybody think that is realistic? The odds are like 95/5 he turns out to be average to Blake Bortles compared to him becoming elite. 

The 2021 draft they are going to be QB shopping with a new HC and GM in IMO. At that point the proverbial window is going to be slammed shut. 

I don't know if they'll get rid of Nagy,  who won coach of the year his rookie season, but these moves better pay off or the GM could be in trouble.

Turbisky isn't going to be elite.

Edited by Arthur Penske

19 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Lets not forget that for all the smart moves the Bears have made, they traded up to get Trubisky, while Mahomes and Watson were there.  I know their fanbase is behind Trubisky, as well they should be, but they should be kicking themselves for passing on those other two.

18 minutes ago, Golfman said:

I don't think that's the case. Foles, Goff aren't elite and made the last 2 superbowls under this new strategy. Wentz was playing at an elite level until he got hurt, I know, but he didn't win the 3 playoff games

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Lets not forget that for all the smart moves the Bears have made, they traded up to get Trubisky, while Mahomes and Watson were there.  I know their fanbase is behind Trubisky, as well they should be, but they should be kicking themselves for passing on those other two.

It will be really interesting to see. We're only 2 years into a raw, limited starter experience QBs career. Still don't know what his peak will be. But who knows, if he ends up being Alex Smith, the guy that with a great offensive mind can be above average but won't win you a game, the Bears will be stuck in that purgatory the Chiefs were in under Smith and Andy. 

22 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

It will be really interesting to see. We're only 2 years into a raw, limited starter experience QBs career. Still don't know what his peak will be. But who knows, if he ends up being Alex Smith, the guy that with a great offensive mind can be above average but won't win you a game, the Bears will be stuck in that purgatory the Chiefs were in under Smith and Andy. 

Yup.  Fun to watch.  And fun to remember that they traded up to get him when the draft had Mahomes and Watson go much later.  

1 hour ago, JBURGE said:

I don't think that's the case. Foles, Goff aren't elite and made the last 2 superbowls under this new strategy. Wentz was playing at an elite level until he got hurt, I know, but he didn't win the 3 playoff games

Foles played at an elite level during that run. Goff was gifted a Super Bowl visit by the officials and his play in the Super Bowl was all one needs to know about him and where LA will go unless he takes the major step forward. I'm not seeing that out of him either. 

31 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Yup.  Fun to watch.  And fun to remember that they traded up to get him when the draft had Mahomes and Watson go much later.  

It will be even more fun to watch when we're kicking their *** 2 times a year.