NFL News & Notes

Leader

Personally I don’t think the idea that AB’s actions are attributable to unstable mental health is mutually exclusive with the idea that it is planned out or choreographed on his part. I haven’t been following too close but I’ll say without the slightest hint of disparagement that I hope he takes a serious look at therapy. Seems like something he could benefit from, which I also think is true of most in the NFL and people who have to deal with fame in general. It seems to be something hard on the human psyche. 

12 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Are you trying to say that player to player racial slurs are different? Cause that's ridiculous to me. Using one is the same regardless of context.

Strange that you would think attitudes toward your own coach/GM should be identical to those toward your opponent.

I suspect most GMs would view being attacked like that by their own player differently than an on-the-field fight with an opponent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

As a white person I can say this with confidence- there are no racial slurs which apply to white people in the way racial slurs apply to people who are not white.

A significant portion of the weight behind various slurs is that they reinforce systematic inequality and draw from a history of violence.  People with a complexion similar to mine were for the most part behind or at least benefiting from that inequality and violence.

Threatening your boss with physical violence is a much bigger deal.

I don't think I stated or implied any differently. I don't disagree with any of this.

Just now, incognito_man said:

Strange that you would think attitudes toward your own coach/GM should be identical to those toward your opponent.

I suspect most GMs would view being attacked like that by their own player differently than an on-the-field fight with an opponent.

You're off from where we started here. You used the point the Packers wouldn't sign him because we have class, insinuating that Brown is classless and so will the team who signs him be. Your evidence was saying a racial slur. Obviously as far as keeping your job it matters who you say it to, I'm not dumb, using it as a character measure though, it's totally irrelevant. It happens on the field all the time, unfortunate but doesn't make someone classless.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

No, it was attacking the GM in front of team including using a racial slurs toward him.

I don't know why you're ignoring that critical part of what happened and what I stated. You're arguing a straw man it appears.

I'm not ignoring it, it's dumb and a good way to get fired, which he did, but I think you're taking it a bit overboard.

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

As a white person I can say this with confidence- there are no racial slurs which apply to white people in the way racial slurs apply to people who are not white.

A significant portion of the weight behind various slurs is that they reinforce systematic inequality and draw from a history of violence.  People with a complexion similar to mine were for the most part behind or at least benefiting from that inequality and violence.

Threatening your boss with physical violence is a much bigger deal.

Bigotry is bigotry. Period.

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm not ignoring it, it's dumb and a good way to get fired, which he did, but I think you're taking it a bit overboard.

Well Oakland literally took action that resulted in him leaving the team due to this incident. This, I feel comfortable knowing at least one GM agrees with me.

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

1 year, vet min base. 100k per catch incentive.

Worst idea ever! He's mentally ill, can you imagine if he didn't have every ball thrown his way the problems that would create. He's going nowhere if he doesn't get BIG MONEY guaranteed. I think he'd rather retire honestly. 

8 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Worst idea ever! He's mentally ill, can you imagine if he didn't have every ball thrown his way the problems that would create. He's going nowhere if he doesn't get BIG MONEY guaranteed. I think he'd rather retire honestly. 

I was 99% joking and 1% hoping Gute has balls of steel and just releases a press release that says "We've signed Antonio Brown to a 1 year deal. We want to win the Super Bowl. #Yolo"

• Like 1