NFL News & Notes

Leader

27 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

So, opting out of the season does what?  Is the team responsible for paying the contract? Does the contract just kick to the next season? What's the deal with airplane food, am I right?

Don't quote me on this but I believe, as you can see in the post above, they get a certain stipend depending on whether they are considered high-risk or not, which also determines if they get an accrued season. Separately, any guaranteed money for the year I believe is pushed to the next season. Any other base or non-guaranteed money would be forfeited. 

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Adam Schefter -   Actual text exchange with an NFL executive today after a sixth Patriot opted out:

Him: “You know Bill is masterminding all of this somehow.”
Me: “For what reason?”
Him: “I don’t know! That’s why he is who he is!”

😃

Trevor Lawrence. Not hard to figure out.

3 hours ago, Leader said:

Adam Schefter -   Actual text exchange with an NFL executive today after a sixth Patriot opted out:

Him: “You know Bill is masterminding all of this somehow.”
Me: “For what reason?”
Him: “I don’t know! That’s why he is who he is!”

😃

Belicheck is a smart guy. He's probably not discouraging players to opt out,  unlike other organisations, because he knows there's no way this season finishes. Why waste your capital on something that doesn't matter? 

Ian Rapoport -   Titans veteran pass-rusher Vic Beasley did not show up for COVID-19 testing again today, and there has been no communication on why or where he is, per sources. The team put Beasley — one of its big FA signings — on the "reserve/did not report” list yesterday.

3 hours ago, Leader said:

Ian Rapoport -   Titans veteran pass-rusher Vic Beasley did not show up for COVID-19 testing again today, and there has been no communication on why or where he is, per sources. The team put Beasley — one of its big FA signings — on the "reserve/did not report” list yesterday.

I wonder if this is going to be a story with a really bad ending. 

Adam Schefter - 

• Chiefs invested a first-round pick in former LSU RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire. With Damien Williams opting out, Edwards-Helaire is needed more than ever.

• Lions DT John Atkins has opted out, per source.
Edited by Leader

Andrew Krammer -  By my count, the Vikings 8 players on the COVID list are the most among NFL teams through today, followed by the Lions (7), Jaguars (6) and Bills (5). A quarter of the league, eight teams, have no players in quarantine at this point.