NFL News & Notes

Leader

Spending a 2nd round pick on Shaheen, putting a baffling amount of resources into the TE position, then Jettisoning him 3 years later is just the sort of awful GMing we've come to expect from Pace.  I'm genuinely shocked that he hasn't been fired yet.

Like what other GM would be allowed to keep their job after whiffing that badly at QB, picking the first guy when the next two are on a HoF and All-Pro level trajectory; just ignoring all the other bizarre moves the Bears have made.

Edited by PossibleCabbage

I can't even imagine how depressed I would be if I was a Seahawks fan right now. 

Wilson's cap hits go up in each of the next four years.
0 first round picks for the next two years.
Your 30-year-old ILB's cap hit goes up in each of the next three years (and no savings if cut for the next two).
LT is 34 years old.
Locket is going to have to get paid soon.

Rashard Penny looks like a bust.
Collier looks like a bust.
Your most recent first round draft pick is an ILB hybrid. 

Your draft capital over the next two years is:

2, 4, 5, 6, 7
2, 3, 5, 6, 7

Outside of your franchise QB, the next best players are WR, S, ILB.

And you don't have an offensive line. 

There's being cursed by having to pay a franchise QB, and then there's being cursed by having to pay your franchise QB and trading away all your draft capital. 

Do they even have a legitimate pass rusher anymore? 

27 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I can't even imagine how depressed I would be if I was a Seahawks fan right now. 

Your 30-year-old ILB's cap hit goes up in each of the next three years (and no savings if cut for the next two).
LT is 34 years old.

2, 4, 5, 6, 7
2, 3, 5, 6, 7

There's being cursed by having to pay a franchise QB, and then there's being cursed by having to pay your franchise QB and trading away all your draft capital. 

What is a legitimate pass rusher?  Bruce Irvin had 8.5 sacks last season for Carolina.  His 2019 stats are better than Jadeveon Clowney's in every category, both played 13 games.  But, no their pass rush doesn't look like it will be very good.

I don't think either of their lines is very good.  But they do have UDFA OT Tommy Champion, and that is a heck of an awesome name.

They still have pretty damn good defensive backs, and linebackers.  And I also really like the combo of DK Metcalf and Tyler Lockett.  Lockett is going to make 12 million this season and 11.5 next, do we think that a new contract is going to be too much more than that?

22 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

LT is 34 years old.

2, 4, 5, 6, 7
2, 3, 5, 6, 7

You hit the big points.  No o-line, little flexibility, some talent coming up for deals when there isn't a lot of money...

But...for the pass rusher, it's rumored out there that Clowney could be back there now that they have Adams.  One year deal.  Not a long term answer at all.  Clearly they are "all in".  And I"d add...."recklessly" to "all in".

I dig Adams, but man, that's horrible draft capital to maintain a roster, let alone re-build.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

A few games in to their season, MLB has 12 Marlins test positive.

Worst fears realized. Probably not surprising it happened with a Miami team. Miami is the epicenter of the virus right now. Man, the margin for error for all these sports teams is so small right now. 

13 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

You hit the big points.  No o-line, little flexibility, some talent coming up for deals when there isn't a lot of money...

But...for the pass rusher, it's rumored out there that Clowney could be back there now that they have Adams.  One year deal.  Not a long term answer at all.  Clearly they are "all in".  And I"d add...."recklessly" to "all in".

I dig Adams, but man, that's horrible draft capital to maintain a roster, let alone re-build.

Clowney just had a season worse than Clay Matthews' final season in Green Bay.  

And while I don't have any kind of definitive list, Clowney would be on my short list of most overrated players of this generation.

29 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Clowney just had a season worse than Clay Matthews' final season in Green Bay.  

And while I don't have any kind of definitive list, Clowney would be on my short list of most overrated players of this generation.

Played with a core injury.  Was a beast in the playoffs.

When motivated, he's a force against the run and pass.  Interior or Edge.

I don't feel like he's lived up to his pre-draft hype.  I don't feel like a team will ever get his "best" when he signs a big long term deal.  But, when hungry, yah, the guy can play.

I can't say that I disagree about him being "overrated".  I think his pre-draft hype was too much.  Based on that, yah, overrated.  But still, he's a nice player when motivated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brat&Beer said:

Worst fears realized. Probably not surprising it happened with a Miami team. Miami is the epicenter of the virus right now. Man, the margin for error for all these sports teams is so small right now. 

Once they put 80 or 90 players in close quarters it will spread to a point where it will be tough to pull off a season.

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 5:42 PM, packfanfb said:

Naw, Adams just doesn't move the needle enough for me. They would have been better off resigning Clowney even as inconsistent as he is. Again, this is a (box) safety we are talking about here, not even a CB. Adams is really good but he's a step above an ILB in terms of position importance. I don't get it. 

The needle really didn't need to be moved much or at all to contend tbh. They're a very talented and well coached team.

Edited by Arthur Penske