NFL News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, JBURGE said:

Jamaal Williams might have been similar to Montgomery, but I do not think they have similar ceilings. I would take Montgomery in a second, as would you I assume. 

You assume wrong. I'm not convinced Montgomery has the upside you think he does. 

On 15/07/2020 at 12:54 PM, Shanedorf said:

How does the "intimidating a person involved with a trial"  fit in ?
If they were protesting at my house, no big deal - but because it was the home of the attorney prosecuting the case -  its looked at differently.
Or is that just fanfare ?

The AG is a public servant. I don't know that it's the best look for protestors to be at his house, but it's also not a great look for a public official to deploy the police to get people off his lawn. 

18 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Guys, am I wrong to compare Cam Newton to Troy Aikman?

Hear me out.  Both are guys whose stats don't tell their greatness.  In 10-15 years, there will be kids that have never seen Cam Newton play.  His numbers aside from 2015 are not impressive at all.  Especially when you compare him to the guys he plays against.  Aikman was the same.  It is so hard to convince someone that never saw the 90s Cowboys, that Aikman was a good QB.  His numbers just don't compare to the other greats of his time.  

Nah, I feel like Cam carried the entire offense, if not the entire team, on his back in Carolina. Aikman was good, but there were plenty of QBs who could've won SBs with that Dallas team. Carolina wasn't going anywhere without Cam. 

I mean, the Washington situation is worse than the one that got the NFL to force Jerry Richardson to sell the Panthers.  The only real difference is that the Washington Football Team is a much higher profile franchise than the Panthers, and that Dan Snyder isn't personally accused of wrongdoing.

Still, I think if you got the owners to sit down and vote on whether Dan Snyder should stay, you'd have at least 30 votes against him.

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I mean, the Washington situation is worse than the one that got the NFL to force Jerry Richardson to sell the Panthers.  The only real difference is that the Washington Football Team is a much higher profile franchise than the Panthers, and that Dan Snyder isn't personally accused of wrongdoing.

Still, I think if you got the owners to sit down and vote on whether Dan Snyder should stay, you'd have at least 30 votes against him.

28 votes. The other 3 teams in the NFC East would want him to stay.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Disagree.  If I was an NFL team, I'd convince 30 teams voting to keep him as owner.  Have you seen the Washingtons the past 20 years? 

Edited by Outpost31

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Disagree.  If I was an NFL team, I'd convince 30 teams voting to keep him as owner.  Have you seen the Washingtons the past 20 years? 

Owners only care about mo' money - and young Daniel isn't pulling his weight.
From crappy teams to tarps covering seats, Snyder has been a failure on the revenue side - and the other Lords take notice.
They're having wet dreams about BezosBucks joining the club

• Like 1

Owners are very anti-forceing Owners to do things, especially sell, as if they do it to an owner, than in theory it could happen to them.

Jerry Richardson's was clearly worse as he personally allegedly sexually assaulted at least a few and sexually harassed many.

Dan Snyder is being accused of being a bully, making fun a former male cheerleader, being a neglectful and stupid owner. Which I'm sure there are numerous NFL owners whom have done something similar or worse (maybe not to the same degree of neglectful and stupid, but he's still not alone).

On 7/15/2020 at 10:39 AM, Cakeshoppe said:

Good luck finding a jury willing to hand out felonies for lawn-sitting and with the league in the position that it is, there’s no way they suspend someone for participating in a protest like that. My Completely ignorant prediction is he ends up with a misdemeanor trespassing and maybe a league fine if they do punish him

Felony charge dropped against Texans' Kenny Stills  

"Jefferson County Attorney Mike O’Connell said in a statement that Louisville police had probable cause for the felony charge,
but “in the interest of justice and the promotion of the free exchange of ideas, we will dismiss that charge” for each of the protesters."

Good call @Cakeshoppe

PFT - The Collective Bargaining Agreement does not include a force majeure clause. The league is essentially trying to force the players to accept one after the fact.

The most recent proposal from the NFL to the NFL Players Association sets forth a lengthy and detailed schedule of payments to be made in the event the season is suspended or canceled.

For starters, players would keep all signing, roster, reporting, or workout bonuses earned before cancellation of the season, along with base salary and per-game roster bonuses or per-game payments earned for any regular-season games actually played.

If the season is canceled before training camp opens, the players would get no further payment. If the season is canceled after training camp starts and before final roster cuts, all players on the 90-man roster who received a credited/accrued season in 2019 or who were drafted in 2020 would receive a $250,000 stipend, reduced by all other payments already made to the player this year. (For example, if a player received a $100,000 signing bonus, he’d receive $150,000 upon cancellation of the season. Any player who has received $250,000 or more this year would get nothing.)

If the season is canceled after the final roster cuts and before Week One, players on the 53-man roster and injured reserve or reserve/PUP would be eligible for the $250,000 stipend. Players on the practice squad would be eligible for a $100,000 stipend.

If the season is canceled during the regular season, players on the 53-man roster and injured reserve or reserve/PUP would be eligible for the $250,000 stipend, but money earned from regular-season games already played would also count against the stipend. Players on the practice squad would be eligible for a $100,000 stipend, minus other money earned.

Tom Pelissero -  Translating the WeWantToPlay posts you're seeing now: Joint medical committee recommended a 21-day acclimation period. NFL asked players to show up 2 weeks early to accommodate it; NFLPA said no. NFL shortened acclimation period to accommodate 2 preseason games. Union wants 0.

That's on top of remaining questions over opt-out language, testing frequency, etc. Clubs are enforcing management rights by setting reporting dates; players must show up or face discipline. If there's a grievance, it'd be over unsafe work environment, as players' posts portend.

• Casey Kreiter -  To be clear, our CBA prohibited us from reporting 2 weeks early. That would have been a negotiation in itself reporting before the CBA agreed upon days prior to kickoff of week 1.

Tom Pelissero -   That's what I meant -- 2 weeks earlier than the CBA allowed.

• Casey Kreiter -  Semantics can play a huge part in the perception of how this is being handled. The way it reads, makes it look like players said no to finding a way to making the joint doctors recommendations work.

Rotoworld - In coordinated Twitter postings Sunday afternoon, a host of NFL players criticized the league's coronavirus plan. More specifically, the league's lack of a plan. "If the NFL doesn’t do their part to keep players healthy there is no football in 2020," were the words of Drew Brees, amongst many others. Players from J.J. Watt to Russell Wilson took part in the effort. In Watt's post, he said players still do not know how a positive COVID-19 test will be handled, or how the league might handle opt-outs. The league is still trying to claim players will report as usual this week, but the number of unresolved critical issues is massive.