NFL News & Notes

Leader

4 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

What was the stat because they aren't even close?

Dalton ...

61.6 comp%

4.7 TD%

3.1 INT%

7.0 YPA

Prescott...

65.8 comp%

4.7 TD%

1.7 INT%

7.6 YPA

That pretty significantly different.

I cant remember if those were the exact stats shown (but probably some of them) and though they're not identical they're not that far apart IMO.

6 minutes ago, Leader said:

I cant remember if those were the exact stats shown (but probably some of them) and though they're not identical they're not that far apart IMO.

They are REALLY far apart. 

Amongst active players career stats....

The comp% would have Prescott as 3rd. Dalton would be 22nd.

TD% is tied.

The INT% would have Prescott tied for 2nd. Dalton would be 25th.

The YPA would have Prescott at 7th. Dalton would be 18th.

Passer rating would have Prescott tied for 4th. Dalton would be 23rd.

I'm far from a Prescott fanboy but the numbers are just nowhere near the same. It's a really bad comparison based on their first 4 year efficiency stats.

• Like 1

Philadelphia says no fans for Eagles games. That whole southeast portion of Pennsylvania has been hit very hard by Covid-19.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/eagles/2020/07/15/covid-19-philadelphia-eagles-no-home-games-2020-nfl-season/5441667002/

Spectators will not be permitted in the stands at Philadelphia Eagles home games this season, city officials said Tuesday while announcing a moratorium on all large public events through February 2021. 

"We have been in communication with the Eagles. We have told them our expectations are that they don't have fans," Managing Director Brian Abernathy said, per the Philadelphia Inquirer

"The Eagles are still going to be allowed to play, although without crowds. The Phillies will continue to be allowed to play, although without crowds," he added.

Health Commissioner Thomas Farley commended the safety protocols put in place by the NFL and MLB, but said it would not be safe to have people in the stands nonetheless.

Texans WR Kenny Stills 1 of 87 people charged with felony during protest in Louisville. https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2900264-texans-wr-kenny-stills-arrested-among-87-protesters-facing-felony-charges?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Houston Texans wide receiver Kenny Stills was arrested Tuesday during a protest march in Louisville, Kentucky, and is among 87 protesters who face a felony charge of intimidating a participant in the legal process.

Lucas Aulbach of the Louisville Courier-Journal reported Stills, who joined the group in demanding justice for Breonna Taylor, also faces misdemeanor counts of disorderly conduct and criminal trespass.

The protest march ended at the home of Kentucky Attorney General Daniel Cameron, who requested the demonstrators be removed from his property.

Lamont Washington, a spokesperson for the Louisville Metro Police Department, told Aulbach the participants were given an opportunity to leave the area before officers started making arrests.

Washington added the protestors were arrested "due to their refusal to leave the property and their attempts to influence the decision of the attorney general with their actions."

16 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Have a hard time seeing this affecting his playing time at all. Good luck finding a jury willing to hand out felonies for lawn-sitting and with the league in the position that it is, there’s no way they suspend someone for participating in a protest like that. My Completely ignorant prediction is he ends up with a misdemeanor trespassing and maybe a league fine if they do punish him. 

11 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

Good luck finding a jury willing to hand out felonies for lawn-sitting

How does the "intimidating a person involved with a trial"  fit in ?
If they were protesting at my house, no big deal - but because it was the home of the attorney prosecuting the case -  its looked at differently.
Or is that just fanfare ?

12 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

How does the "intimidating a person involved with a trial"  fit in ?
If they were protesting at my house, no big deal - but because it was the home of the attorney prosecuting the case -  its looked at differently.
Or is that just fanfare ?

They’ll have to convince a jury that the protest actually constituted a threat and not just a group of people advocating a position. I feel like that would be difficult to do beyond a reasonable doubt

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

They’ll have to convince a jury that the protest actually constituted a threat and not just a group of people advocating a position. I feel like that would be difficult to do beyond a reasonable doubt

If they had just showed up at the AG's place of employment, I would agree. But showing up at his home might be seen differently. 

That said, I suspect this gets pleaded down. The suspects were also charged with misdemeanor counts of  disorderly conduct and criminal trespass. 

59 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Derrick Henry.  4 years.  $50M.  $26.5M guaranteed.

Not a bad deal for a RB that was the heart and soul of the team.  

Thinking this isn't the greatest thing for Aaron Jones' situation.

I just don't see Jones coming back because the Packers will have some important guys with upcoming contracts that will need to be resigned. 

I like the idea of having 2 "power backs" who can catch out of the back field with WRs who you can attack the defence with the deep ball. 

Therefore, I like the chances of Williams coming back instead of Jones. 

Edited by sshle_

1 hour ago, sshle_ said:

I just don't see Jones coming back because the Packers will have some important guys with upcoming contracts that will need to be resigned. 

I like the idea of having 2 "power backs" who can catch out of the back field with WRs who you can attack the defence with the deep ball. 

Therefore, I like the chances of Williams coming back instead of Jones. 

I'm honestly a fan of AJ Dillon teaming with some 4th or 5th rounder and whomever is left of:  Crockett, Taylor, and  Dexter Williams.  Spend no money on RB.  

4 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

If they had just showed up at the AG's place of employment, I would agree. But showing up at his home might be seen differently. 

That said, I suspect this gets pleaded down. The suspects were also charged with misdemeanor counts of  disorderly conduct and criminal trespass. 

I think it could plausibly be interpreted as threatening (and if someone showed up in my yard I'd probably feel threatened) but the standard of evidence requires that it cannot be reasonably interpreted otherwise. Since there's plenty of history of peaceful demonstration at public figures' homes (Alex Jones and Micheal Moore did it fairly often early in their careers and when I was in college, protesters demonstrated in the chancellor's front yard a few times a year). I think it's hard to make the claim that it is a threat beyond reasonable doubt when there's an established pattern that it easy fits into to point otherwise.

NY Post -  The removal of a racist nickname won’t end Daniel Snyder’s problems.

Not long after the Washington owner announced that his team would no longer be known as the Redskins, a series of cryptic tweets from local reporters emerged, warning of an imminent bombshell set to shake the franchise to its core.

“The warped and toxic culture of the Washington Football Team is about to be exposed in a sickening fashion . . . Again,” wrote CBS’ Jason La Canfora, a former team beat reporter.

Julie Donaldson of NBC Sports Washington also wrote, “What’s coming is disappointing and sad.”

Though it remains unclear what will surface, several other reporters have also been tipped off to news that could be devastating to the team.

“There is much more going on . . . than a name change,” Scott Abraham of ABC 7 wrote. “. . . And it’s not good. I did not get specifics, but get ready people.”

JP Finlay of NBC Sports Washington shared a similar tweet.  “A real busy week. And it’s not all going to be about the name and it’s not all going to be pretty.”

It is believed that a Washington Post story expected to be released on Thursday is the basis for the tweets.

Man, the Cowboys really F'd up.  The Dak Prescott tag costs them $31.4m, next year to franchise him again it would be at least $37.69m.  The salary cap is currently $198.2m and the Cowboys have $179m in salary cap obligations for the current season (they can carry over at most ~$12m into next year.)  So unless the cap goes up significantly (unlikely in the age of Covid) the Cowboys will not have the money to tag Dak again without waiving or restructuring somebody.

Having not reached a deal for an extension before the deadline today, they are not allowed to negotiate with him until he becomes a free agent unless he is tagged again.

7 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Man, the Cowboys really F'd up.  The Dak Prescott tag costs them $31.4m, next year to franchise him again it would be at least $37.69m.  The salary cap is currently $198.2m and the Cowboys have $179m in salary cap obligations for the current season (they can carry over at most ~$12m into next year.)  So unless the cap goes up significantly (unlikely in the age of Covid) the Cowboys will not have the money to tag Dak again without waiving or restructuring somebody.

Having not reached a deal for an extension before the deadline today, they are not allowed to negotiate with him until he becomes a free agent unless he is tagged again.

They also have Tyrone Craford taking 9 million off the books (imagine if we paid Dean Lowry twice as much and he were 5 years older).  Just browsing some of their contracts on Spotrac though... wow.