NFL News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

"Rebuild mode". There are two ways to look at it. Given how few of Ted's players remain, even in the short time Gute has been in charge, you could argue they have already done most of the rebuild. That becomes even more true when you remember Gute dumped the pass rushers (Perry, Matthews, Fackrell) and went with the Smith's and drafted Gary in the first, and also swapping Clinton-Dix for Amos. They got within one game of the SB with all those losses and gains already made. You could even argue they got as far as they did BECAUSE OF the changes.

The other argument is the contention that teams are always in rebuild mode. The turnover of NFL players on a team is usually pretty high. Usually at least one high profile player is gone each year, and often more.

Losing Bulaga and Martinez doesn't help, but it doesn't constitute a rebuild either. Now we come to the elephant in the room, almost certainly the reason you used the word 'rebuild'. Aaron Rodgers potential replacement is on the team. However, Rodgers isn't going anywhere this year, and despite a few fans suggesting he might be traded in 2021, I don't for a minute think he will be gone then. That gives Love two years behind Rodgers before potentially assuming the mantle of starting QB in 2022. If Love fails to progress to that level, I believe the Packers go QB early again in the 2022 draft. If that happens then Rodgers may get a third year (the 2022 season) to allow the newest replacement to learn the system. So, the handover from Rodgers is like a light at the horizon.......... visible, but not here yet. Rodgers will be 38 at the end of 2021 and losing that contract then is not exorbitantly expensive, as it would be at the beginning of that same year.

So in conclusion, I don't see the Love pick as confusing at all.

You do make some really good points but I just don't see it that way. They didn't do anything this off-season to say they can beat the 49ers or the top contenders in the NFC. I just see another playoff loss this coming year to another NFC West team.

You could argue they got that far because of the changes but you can also say they got that far because of weak competition. They played quite a few young QBs with no experience or back up QBs. They also played a depleted Seahawk team in the playoffs, if they play the seahawks at 100%, I think the seahawks take that game. I just think this off season they proved they are done with the McCarthy/Rodgers era and are moving toward the Love era.

Edited by dwaye50327

20 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

That doesn't make him uncuttable. Even with all that dead cap, they would still save about 4.7 million on the salary cap by cutting or trading him. I don't expect it would happen, but they could do it if they needed to. They would need to do it before his roster bonus is due.  

Yes.  Obviously Aaron isn't going to get cut after this season for football reasons; but it's certainly not for budget reasons.  

I'm not even remotely suggesting that the Packers will or should be considering cutting Rodgers after this season.  I hope and expect both Rodgers and the Packers to have a pretty excellent, winning, playoff-bound 2020 season.  

Just reemphasizing that cap-wise, in the absence of football reasons, there are significant cap advantages to cutting him as soon as possible.  Basically any time that Rodgers is cut after this year will provide variably massive budget advantage.  Any time that dead cap is less than live cap, you're saving cap space. 

And even if was only $4.7 saving in 2021 (versus $22M if you cut him after two years), that underestimates the advantage of doing so.  A $4.7 saving in 2021 would be reinforced by additional $17M in 2022.  (If all the dead cap is absorbed in 21, then you'd not be liable for either $17 dead-cap or $40 live-cap in 2022). 

Cap hits for multi-year deals normally jump sharply in year two.  So if a pre-2021 cut freed less in 21 and more in 22, to some degree that (non-proportionally) reflects something of how multi-year contracts hit cap-wise. 

25 minutes ago, craig said:

Just reemphasizing that cap-wise, in the absence of football reasons, there are significant cap advantages to cutting him as soon as possible.  Basically any time that Rodgers is cut after this year will provide variably massive budget advantage.  Any time that dead cap is less than live cap, you're saving cap space

The same would apply to Mahomes (or any other high priced player) - saving cap space doesn't mean it is automatically the smart move to do it.

Question is what can the Packers get for trading the QB they aren't going with two or three years down the line.

Or if Jerry Jones gets tired of chasing Dak Prescott...

But we needs some QBs to bust, as everyone is too happy with their QBs right now.

Edited by Beast

You'll fetch at least a first for AR, specially next year when the QB market is going to be better than this year's. Financially speaking is doable from 2021 onwards. Most of the moves made by the team suggest that we are getting rid of him in 2022 or earlier. Unless we get to the NFC Championship game again or we realize that Love sucks it makes a lot of sense to trade him next year.

28 minutes ago, Beast said:

Question is what can the Packers get for trading the QB they aren't going with two or three years down the line.

Or if Jerry Jones gets tired of chasing Dak Prescott...

But we needs some QBs to bust, as everyone is too happy with their QBs right now.

Jimmy G could bust but I don't think Gutey would trade him to an NFC rival. Las Vegas maybe. 

6 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Football isn't going to happen and we cant keep TAPT open for more than 2 days at a time. Gonna be a boring year boys. All hypothetical situations and hot takes. So stoked. Im gonna have to develop a real personality now.

If there's no season, will the draft order be the same in the 2021 draft as in 2020? And what if there's no college season? Who gets invited to the combine?   Questions, questions, questions. 

13 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

If there's no season, will the draft order be the same in the 2021 draft as in 2020? And what if there's no college season? Who gets invited to the combine?   Questions, questions, questions. 

Snake draft. Out of a hat. There will be even less of no season for college. Theyre gonna have to figure out another shirt designation for covid seasons. Wont be a combine anymore. Just decide what pro days to attend and unlimited visits for meds

Edited by HighCalebR

57 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Snake draft. Out of a hat. There will be even less of no season for college. Theyre gonna have to figure out another shirt designation for covid seasons. Wont be a combine anymore. Just decide what pro days to attend and unlimited visits for meds

I have my Trevor Lawrence Patriots jersey on pre-order.  Belichick is playing 5443 dimensional chess creating a virus in China to put the world on hold and then rigging a lottery to get the best QB prospect.  Fortune favors the bold, Bill!

4 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

Jimmy G could bust but I don't think Gutey would trade him to an NFC rival. Las Vegas maybe. 

Out of conference is preferred, but if someone offers more in conference then you have to consider it.

Also when we're talking about contracts this large, the players have some input as well.