NFL News & Notes

Leader

3 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I have my Trevor Lawrence Patriots jersey on pre-order.  Belichick is playing 5443 dimensional chess creating a virus in China to put the world on hold and then rigging a lottery to get the best QB prospect.  Fortune favors the bold, Bill!

Smart purchase. Its a lock.

I cant tell if Bill signed Cam so he could win the Super Bowl just for funsies or if hes disguising the tank.

Cam is an odd player.  Watching him, you feel like he is really good, maybe a tier lower than the absolute best.  But if you look at his stats, they really aren't anything special.  He has only thrown for 20 or more TDs in 5 of his 8 (didn't count his 2 game 2019) seasons, in the 2010s where that doesn't seem to be a big accomplishment for any good QB.  His MVP season looks like a clear outlier, he is more of a 20 TD 13 INT 3300 yards guy.  That is pretty much 2003 Tom Brady... But it is also 2018 Mitch Trubisky.  I really don't know what to make of Cam.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NewtCa00.htm

8 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Cam is an odd player.  Watching him, you feel like he is really good, maybe a tier lower than the absolute best.  But if you look at his stats, they really aren't anything special.  He has only thrown for 20 or more TDs in 5 of his 8 (didn't count his 2 game 2019) seasons, in the 2010s where that doesn't seem to be a big accomplishment for any good QB.  His MVP season looks like a clear outlier, he is more of a 20 TD 13 INT 3300 yards guy.  That is pretty much 2003 Tom Brady... But it is also 2018 Mitch Trubisky.  I really don't know what to make of Cam.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NewtCa00.htm

He hasn’t been helped by his coaching staffs at all.

53 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

I wpuld say Front Office moreso. I feel like riverboat was a good match with Cam he just never had the horses up front

IMO Cam and NE will have flashes of McDaniels/Tebow in Denver. NE really doesn't have a consistent threat at WR but they have a solid o-line. I think they will take advantage of Cam's athletic ability to the fullest.

15 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

Football isn't going to happen and we cant keep TAPT open for more than 2 days at a time. Gonna be a boring year boys. All hypothetical situations and hot takes. So stoked. Im gonna have to develop a real personality now.

All but one of us keeps threads open.  Only one does not.

It's like a loose thread on a shirt.  Cut it right and everything is fine.  Pull it and the whole shirt is ruined.

As far as football goes...I nominate @Outpost31 to set up our team on Madden and run simulations every week.  See if he can post a few highlights, box scores and see how the season goes.

• Like 2

Just now, vegas492 said:

As far as football goes...I nominate @Outpost31 to set up our team on Madden and run simulations every week.  See if he can post a few highlights, box scores and see how the season goes.

Last season I had, the Packers offense was dominant, and I mean dominant. 

Dillon and Jones both had a bit over 5 yards per carry and both went over 1,000 rushing yards and 10 rushing touchdowns.
Aaron Rodgers had his best year since 2011 in terms of yards per attempt, completion percentage and touchdowns.
MVS had his breakout season with 13 touchdowns, 67 receptions.
Degaura was that little Swiss Army Knife everyone hopes he can be with 150 rushing yards (most coming from fake punts) and 600 receiving yards.  8 TDs total.
Sternberger was a Jason Witten type as a receiver.  Safety net who had lots of receptions (50-60) with low YPC (10.3 or something like that).
Funchess was JAG.  26 receptions.
Lazard took a step back (30 receptions, 3 touchdowns)
ESB got injured again coincidentally.
Jon Runyan replaced Billy Turner at right guard midway through the season.

Defensively, things were even better.

Gary showed elite talent as a pass rusher with 13 sacks.
Z. Smith led the league with 18.5 sacks.
Preston Smith kept pace with his previous season and got 10 sacks.
Kenny Clark was again in the 4-6 sack range.
Kevin King had a very quiet season with only 1 interception, allowing us to extend him for one more year on a modest contract.  He must have had a nagging injury.
Darnell Savage played both slot and safety, but he showed elite, all-pro potential in the slot.  He had 7 interceptions and 3 defensive touchdowns...
...Only to be outdone by Jaire Alexander, who had 8 interceptions and 3 defensive touchdowns.
Kirksey was JAG.
Burks was JAG.
Amos had TWO game-winning interceptions with 4 total on the year.

Packers beat the Seahawks in the divisional round, then they kicked the Niners in the face when they shocked their offense by blitzing virtually everybody on virtually every play.  Jimmy G. didn't know what hit him, and by the time they put up 10 points it was already over.  30-10 victory with San Fran's 10 points coming in the final 4 minutes of the game. 

The Super Bowl was against the Titans.  Packers actually put more men in the box, stopped Henry, made Tannehill have to throw without effective play action and picked him off three times.

Aaron Rodgers completed 82% of his passes for 10 YPA and, obviously, won Super Bowl MVP. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Last season I had, the Packers offense was dominant, and I mean dominant. 

Dillon and Jones both had a bit over 5 yards per carry and both went over 1,000 rushing yards and 10 rushing touchdowns.
Aaron Rodgers had his best year since 2011 in terms of yards per attempt, completion percentage and touchdowns.
MVS had his breakout season with 13 touchdowns, 67 receptions.
Degaura was that little Swiss Army Knife everyone hopes he can be with 150 rushing yards (most coming from fake punts) and 600 receiving yards.  8 TDs total.
Sternberger was a Jason Witten type as a receiver.  Safety net who had lots of receptions (50-60) with low YPC (10.3 or something like that).
Funchess was JAG.  26 receptions.
Lazard took a step back (30 receptions, 3 touchdowns)
ESB got injured again coincidentally.
Jon Runyan replaced Billy Turner at right guard midway through the season.

Defensively, things were even better.

Gary showed elite talent as a pass rusher with 13 sacks.
Z. Smith led the league with 18.5 sacks.
Preston Smith kept pace with his previous season and got 10 sacks.
Kenny Clark was again in the 4-6 sack range.
Kevin King had a very quiet season with only 1 interception, allowing us to extend him for one more year on a modest contract.  He must have had a nagging injury.
Darnell Savage played both slot and safety, but he showed elite, all-pro potential in the slot.  He had 7 interceptions and 3 defensive touchdowns...
...Only to be outdone by Jaire Alexander, who had 8 interceptions and 3 defensive touchdowns.
Kirksey was JAG.
Burks was JAG.
Amos had TWO game-winning interceptions with 4 total on the year.

Packers beat the Seahawks in the divisional round, then they kicked the Niners in the face when they shocked their offense by blitzing virtually everybody on virtually every play.  Jimmy G. didn't know what hit him, and by the time they put up 10 points it was already over.  30-10 victory with San Fran's 10 points coming in the final 4 minutes of the game. 

The Super Bowl was against the Titans.  Packers actually put more men in the box, stopped Henry, made Tannehill have to throw without effective play action and picked him off three times.

Aaron Rodgers completed 82% of his passes for 10 YPA and, obviously, won Super Bowl MVP. 

Honestly?  Best post I've read on here since COVID.

And I'm serious.  If there is no football, I'd love it if you or someone else could set up our roster and schemes as realistically as you can.  Hopefully with some input from the board, and let the game play itself out.  Post scores and box scores.  Auto-simulate other games and post that.  See where the chips fall.

Looks like they fell pretty nicely in your write up!  Found the Runyan for Turner tidbit interesting.  

2 hours ago, Cakeshoppe said:

If the season does get cancelled entirely I vote we find old games from the 2010 season on youtube, sync up the start time and still have GDTs at an agreed upon time

2017 would be more fun.  It would be like Hundley Packer Theater 3000.

• Like 2

The guy's got a point....

ESPN -  "How can a sport that requires physical contact on every snap and transferal of all types of bodily fluid EVERY SINGLE PLAY practice safe social distancing? How can I make sure that I don't bring COVID-19 back to my household? Yes, we can get tested every day, but if it takes 24 hours to get my results, how can I know each day that I am not spreading this virus or contracting it?

Tampa Bay Buccaneers starting left tackle Donovan Smith, the man responsible for protecting Super Bowl-winning quarterback Tom Brady's blind side, said Friday morning that "risking my health, as well as my family's health, does not seem like a risk worth taking" by playing during the coronavirus pandemic.