NFL News & Notes

Leader

2 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I meant they have $179m in salary cap obligations for the 2021 season, i.e. next season.  So unless the cap goes up like $20m (again, very unlikely) they've got some work to do on that roster.

Bunch of teams might be in tough spots......GB included.  

Clark, King, Bakhtiari all expiring at premium positions.  

Hard to see Aaron Jones getting a contract before any of those players.

Guys, am I wrong to compare Cam Newton to Troy Aikman?

Hear me out.  Both are guys whose stats don't tell their greatness.  In 10-15 years, there will be kids that have never seen Cam Newton play.  His numbers aside from 2015 are not impressive at all.  Especially when you compare him to the guys he plays against.  Aikman was the same.  It is so hard to convince someone that never saw the 90s Cowboys, that Aikman was a good QB.  His numbers just don't compare to the other greats of his time.  

I feel like if Cam got the calls that other QBs got, he'd have been a lot more successful.  It's just that he's so huge and so powerful that refs just won't flag anything short of "taking off your helmet and beating him with it" (i.e. "pulling a Myles Garrett") and as a result he's been beaten up a lot.

4 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Man, the Cowboys really F'd up.  The Dak Prescott tag costs them $31.4m, next year to franchise him again it would be at least $37.69m

from twitter

"The updated terms included $33 to $35 million per season with $110 million in guarantees", per Jane Slater. ( reporter for NFLN)

Sounds like they took the average of the two tags and made him an offer, or at least that's what they wanted leaked.
I'll be curious to see what Dak's market is next year - given the likelihood of a lower cap. A few teams are flush, but the rest are gonna get squeezed a bit

Bill Huber / SI - NFL Scout Ranks NFC North Running Backs

No. 1: Minnesota Vikings - Dalvin Cook and Alexander Mattison power one of the NFL’s elite rushing attacks.
No. 2: Green Bay Packers - After playing in only 24 of a possible 32 games in his first two seasons, Aaron Jones showed he could stay healthy, carry the load and be a legit three-down back last season, when he ranked 12th in the NFL with 1,084 rushing yards, 17th with 4.59 yards per carry and tied for first with 16 rushing touchdowns and 19 total touchdowns. According to Pro Football Focus, he was 14 among players with at least 100 rushes with 3.19 yards after contact per carry. After catching 35 passes for 228 yards and one touchdown in his first two seasons, Jones caught 49 passes for 474 yards and three touchdowns last year. As is the case with Cook, Jones has put himself in position for a big payday as he enters the final season under contract. Jamaal Williams also thrived in coach Matt LaFleur’s zone run scheme, with 460 rushing yards and career highs of 39 receptions and five receiving touchdowns. After averaging 3.6 yards per carry in 2017 and 3.8 yards in 2018, Williams averaged a 29th-ranked 4.3 yards in 2019. Of that, he ranked 25 with 2.86 yards after contact. With the addition of powerful rookie A.J. Dillon in the second round, who thrived despite repeatedly running into loaded boxes at Boston College, the Packers have the potential to field one of the best backfields in the league.
No. 3: Chicago Bears - Montgomery made a name for himself as a tackle-breaking machine at Iowa State. He didn’t play to expectations as a rookie, though.
No. 4: Detroit Lions -  The Lions grew tired of waiting for Kerryon Johnson’s potential and used a second-round draft pick on Georgia’s explosive D’Andre Swift.

Edited by Leader

Mattison will be a guy to watch as the talented but oft-injured Cook enters the last year of his contract

Packers have the most depth at RB. Probably Jones'last year in GB. D. Williams will be a guy to watch in training camp.

Montgomery played behind a mediocre offensive line. I think he's a good all-around back but not very explosive. I think J. Williams is as good as he is.

The never ending Lions search for a stud RB continues. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brat&Beer said:

Mattison will be a guy to watch as the talented but oft-injured Cook enters the last year of his contract

Packers have the most depth at RB. Probably Jones'last year in GB. D. Williams will be a guy to watch in training camp.

Montgomery played behind a mediocre offensive line. I think he's a good all-around back but not very explosive. I think J. Williams is as good as he is.

This is a good summation.  I would agree with all of it.

ESPN -  The NFLPA database shows that 72 NFL players were known to have tested positive for the coronavirus as of July 10.

As the NFL and the NFL Players Association continue to negotiate rules under which training camps may begin later this month and the regular season may begin in September, the union is trying to make sure its members are kept up to date on the presence of the coronavirus around the country and in their specific communities.

The 72 number is difficult to put into context, because not every player in the league, or even a very large number, has been tested. But estimating 32 traditional 90-man training camp rosters would give you a number of 2,880 total NFL players at the moment, which means the 72 represent 2.5% of the league's player population.

2 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

Jamaal Williams might have been similar to Montgomery, but I do not think they have similar ceilings. I would take Montgomery in a second, as would you I assume. 

Edited by JBURGE

6 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Jamaal Williams might have been similar to Montgomery, but I do not think they have similar ceilings. I would take Montgomery in a second, as would you I assume. 

Yea, IMO Jamaal has peaked. He's a perfect No. 2-3 back, great utility guy. Not a guy you remotely fear if you're playing against him. 

Washington is about to blow up peeps. Supposed rumors of paying off refs... Minority owners are trying to sell their share... Could we see the NFL make Snyder sell his team? I'm sure the fans would rejoice.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/washington-josh-norman-tweets-cryptic-message-dark-past-bombshell-report

https://nypost.com/2020/07/16/washington-nfl-team-gets-angry-lawyers-up-ahead-of-imminent-bombshell/

Edited by Toddfather

39 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

Washington is about to blow up peeps. Supposed rumors of paying off refs... Minority owners are trying to sell their share... Could we see the NFL make Snyder sell his team? I'm sure the fans would rejoice.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/washington-josh-norman-tweets-cryptic-message-dark-past-bombshell-report

https://nypost.com/2020/07/16/washington-nfl-team-gets-angry-lawyers-up-ahead-of-imminent-bombshell/

I read somewhere that Kapri Bibbs was banging the same receptionist that Jay Gruden was hittin'.  Gruden got miffed and benched Bibbs and the backup missed a block that got Alex Smith broken.  Good times there in Washington.

Edited by {Family Ghost}

49 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

How can you be that bad every year if you're paying off the refs? ;)

• Like 1

https://www.profootballrumors.com/

Adam Schefter of ESPN.com confirms that the Post is drafting a story that will feature (presumably negative) aspects of the Redskins’ organizational culture (Twitter link). In response, the club has hired DC-based attorney Beth Wilkinson to conduct a thorough review of its protocols (Twitter link). Schefter’s tweet says that Wilkinson will be reviewing “past” culture, which suggests that the team has since addressed any problems that may have existed.

But there are troubling signs. For instance, Schefter also reports that minority shareholders have hired an investment bank to facilitate a sale of their stake in the team (Twitter link), and this all comes on the heels of the departures of two front office execs. In addition to those firings, radio play-by-play announcer Larry Michael has left the organization.

Per Pro Football Talk (via Twitter), at least two minority owners have been trying to sell their interest in the team for months, so that may not be at all related to any organization issues that the Post will be covering. And the team is said to be frustrated by the rampant speculation that stories about the story have engendered. Nonetheless, the report will certainly be worth a read, as will the ensuing damage control from the team’s side of things.