NFL News & Notes

Leader

NFL . COM -  The NFLPA on Wednesday revealed which teams' protocols for the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic have been approved.

Infectious disease emergency response (IDER) plans submitted by the Baltimore Ravens, Buffalo Bills, Carolina Panthers, Denver Broncos, Detroit Lions, Houston Texans, Kansas City Chiefs and Miami Dolphins have been approved by the NFLPA, according to the union's release of information. The other remaining 24 teams have submitted plans that are still under review as of midday Wednesday.

from Jason at OTC

Most Dead Money from 2018-2020

1. Giants- $109.6M
2. Dolphins- $109.1M
3. Cardinals- $98.5M
4. Jaguars- $94.6M
5. Bills- $85.8M
6. Broncos- $72.8M
7. Panthers- $69M
8. Browns- $68.9M
9. Rams- $64.7M
10. Jets- $62.5M

NFL Avg =  $58.1M

Packers : ?

Kinda catchy. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/washington-football-team-nfl-name-change

The Washington NFL franchise will go by a new name until further notice: the Washington Football Team.

Washington's name change, announced by the team Thursday, is only temporary as the organization attempts to rebrand its image.

"The decision to use 'Washington Football Team' for this season allows the franchise the ability to undertake an in-depth branding process to properly include player, alumni, fan, community, and sponsor input," the team said in a press release. "To date, we have been pleased to see so many people putting forward their vision of what the new name and design should be on their social media channels and we look forward to including their feedback as this process progresses."

• Like 1

Tom Pelissero -  Negotiations are fluid, but NFL owners continue to push for an agreement to lower the salary cap in 2020 and 2021 — proposals the NFLPA and GMs believe could lead to a rash of veteran cuts and restructures before this season.

The NFLPA wants to spread the financial hit through 2030, rather than taking it now. And even a $10 million reduction in the 2020 salary cap would be “too much” at this stage, one GM said. Rosters are largely set. Many teams would be scrambling to free up money somewhere.

• Andy Herman -  As much as I hate to say it, this decision could very much affect Corey Linsley. There are very few Packers that Green Bay could cut to get the needed savings and Linsley is one.
  • Peter Bukowski -  Would be an easier sell for owners to cry poverty (lol) if we didn’t all know a new zillion dollars media rights deal was coming in the next two years.

PFT -  Buccaneers coach Bruce Arians turns 68 in October. He’s had prostate, skin, and kidney cancer. He’s at high risk of a serious outcome, if he contracts COVID-19. As a result, he’s still deciding how close he’ll get to players during training camp, practices, and games.

“Bruce Arians is still, last I heard, was trying to make a decision how active he was going to be in terms of proximity, physical proximity to his players,” ESPN’s Chris Mortensen said recently on SiriusXM NFL Radio, via JoeBucsFan.com. “He’s a high-risk guy. I’m a high-risk guy. You’re in your sixties, you’ve had cancer or you have cancer still.”

It’s a serious situation for Arians, who needs to be very careful about his health. Every older coach and/or any coach with a health condition that increases his risk needs to be careful, too.

Edited by Leader

8 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

People have been calling them "The Washington Football Team" instead of their previous name for decades now.  I remember when the local paper was the subject of a mini-controversy when they said they would no longer print the name of the team, and that was in the 90s.

Odd how it turns into a total sideshow when you delay making an obvious change for literal decades only to shift gears at the last minute. 

9 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

People have been calling them "The Washington Football Team" instead of their previous name for decades now.  I remember when the local paper was the subject of a mini-controversy when they said they would no longer print the name of the team, and that was in the 90s.

I've been pretty consistent about it being important not to take offense when none is intended, but let's face it--that team name was a racial pejorative and I thought so since I was a teen. I actually think they should stick with the new placeholder. It's more classy than clumsy, with a bit of sackcloth and ashes thrown in.

The Atlanta Braves seems like a nicer, more honoring name, but the cartoonish mascot was really offensive. They should change their name just for having been insensitive with their marketing for decades. Chief Wahoo and a tomahawk chop indeed. At least The Washington Football Team had a classy logo. After that I think we call a hiatus for a decade and see if we're still heated up about names like the Seminoles and the Blackhawks. As a Swede, I may want to get after the Minnesota Football Team for dishonoring my pillaging ancestors.

from Football Zebras

http://www.footballzebras.com/2020/07/more-details-on-nfl-contingency-for-5-official-crews-emphasize-passing-game-over-line-play/

The NFL’s coronavirus contingency plan of reducing officiating crews from 7 to 5 officials is taking shape, and it is apparent that the pro version of these plans will divert attention away from the interior linemen and focus more on the defensive secondary. The crew assignments posted here in June, and confirmed by the NFL this weekend, are currently for crews of 7.

Details are now emerging from our sources on how the 5-official crew would work in the NFL, which were presented to the officials at their annual July clinic, a remote gathering this year. Unburdened from extensive rules changes, which appears to be deliberate based on the tremendous uncertainty brought on by the pandemic, the clinic was able to devote instruction time to these contingencies. There are not enough officials to account for voluntary or involuntary vacancies, so any staffing shortage will result in reducing the crews.

IND-hold.jpg