NFL News & Notes

Leader

53 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

Bob you and others likely have watched some tape on him. With Martin on the mend what are your thoughts on if Burks can at least cover a TE? If we can get something put of him great. With that said not like we run allot of 2 ilb anyway.

I feel like I can't say anything nice about Burks.  But I'll try.

Athletically, yes, he does have the physical traits to cover a TE.  Instinctively, no he cannot.  His feet and eyes do not work well together and it causes false first steps and hesitation.  A competent tight end will eat him up.

Now.  I've seen that kid get destroyed with hesitation and end up on his back on one play.  The next play?  I've seen him diagnose quickly and show an unreal closing ability to kill a play.  So maybe that light finally goes on and we have a player.  Maybe.

My guess is that he will "get it" next year in an 8-10 game stretch when he's healthy, then he hits free agency.  That would be just our luck with him.

26 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I feel like I can't say anything nice about Burks.  But I'll try.

Athletically, yes, he does have the physical traits to cover a TE.  Instinctively, no he cannot.  His feet and eyes do not work well together and it causes false first steps and hesitation.  A competent tight end will eat him up.

Now.  I've seen that kid get destroyed with hesitation and end up on his back on one play.  The next play?  I've seen him diagnose quickly and show an unreal closing ability to kill a play.  So maybe that light finally goes on and we have a player.  Maybe.

My guess is that he will "get it" next year in an 8-10 game stretch when he's healthy, then he hits free agency.  That would be just our luck with him.

Burks is a guy who I think could make a career out of being a pure ST player, if he's willing to commit to that role. If you lack instincts as an ILB, you might as well run a 4.9. You're worthless either way. 

Edited by packfanfb

6 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

What if I told you, we have a similar athlete already on the team, but he is a little bit bigger?  

https://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?i=30247

https://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?i=27039

We just have to keep him healthy and get him to football good.

Who cares, this is FOOTBALL! We want good FOOTBALL players! Not athlete wannabes. Burks is similar on the track only.

5 hours ago, PACKRULE said:

Bob you and others likely have watched some tape on him. With Martin on the mend what are your thoughts on if Burks can at least cover a TE? If we can get something put of him great. With that said not like we run allot of 2 ilb anyway.

For Burks it mostly just comes down to whether he can learn to diagnose a play and play it correctly, consistently and quickly enough enough to be an effect ILB, regardless of play type.  He's got the athletic gifts and he played enough DB that physically he has the ability to do a lot of things that when last seen he couldn't be trusted to do regularly.  But my personal thought from watching him is that just getting on the field will probably fix a lot of his issues; he's willing and able to do what he needs to do, and film study and experience can fill in for the rest if he never develops true ILB instincts.  He just needs to stay on the damn field.

5 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I present the counter-argument. 

@Outpost31 the dream is alive!

That’s a really odd choice for Matthews.  Seems like Denver would be a perfect opportunity out for him.  Fangio, practically guaranteed playing time, ability to play EDGE...

Or maybe he’s holding out for more money (which would be DUMB).

Maybe he’s been warming up to a position switch to lengthen his career by a couple seasons.

Or maybe he’s waiting for a California team to call him.  

PFT -  Free-agent linebacker Clay Matthews has two million reasons to create the impression that he’s willing to play in 2020.

Matthews has $2 million in guaranteed compensation from the Rams this year, subject to reduction based on money earned elsewhere. As the potential argument would go, however, the Rams are entitled to credit for money Matthews could have earned.

And so, in response to a report that Matthews rebuffed interest from the Broncos, Matthews’ agent, Ryan Williams, wisely has released this statement: “We recently had communication with the Broncos, as we have with other teams during the offseason. We were under the impression that communication would remain private, but since it did not, let me be clear: We were unable to come to an agreement with Denver, but Clay remains open to playing in the NFL in 2020, provided it’s the right opportunity for him and his family.”

Whether or not the Broncos and Matthews could come to an agreement, the Rams could argue that, if the Broncos made an offer and Matthews refused to accept it, the Rams should get full credit for the amount of the offer. If, for example, Denver offered a one-year minimum deal ($1.05 million salary based on his experience), the Rams could argue that they now only owe Matthews $995,000.

The argument may work, it may not work. If it leverages Matthews into a settlement for less than 100 cents on the dollar, it’s a partial win for the Rams.

On 9/9/2020 at 6:19 PM, PossibleCabbage said:

Queen also isn't a great football player.  The upside is there, but it's also there with Burks.

The Queen / Burks comparisons are extremely stupid and I can't comprehend why people keep making them... 

Why don't we compare Jordan Love to Brett Hundley while we at it... 

• Like 1

NFLPA -   Congrats to Kevin Byard on being our first CommunityMVP of the 2020 season! The Titans DB got Nashville students into the school spirit by packing and distributing more than 300 distance learning kits of school supplies and essential hygiene items to disadvantaged families.