NFL News & Notes

Leader

56 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

If the price is right I think we want him here.....

No question 'bout that...other than the liklihood the price isnt going to be right.

56 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

We will see what happens, but I do hope he has another epic season.

Tru dat. For all we know he could revert back to the mean and be less a loss - or - as in years past (other than 2019), he could get injured. Still up in the air.
Just saying......our offense will miss 2019 Jones. Might not be worth 2021 (and going forward) $$$ but removing that level of production will be hard to replace.  He got us more than a few W's last year.

Edited by Leader
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Leader said:

No harm no foul, but I love how easily people are discounting a record setting RB for the GBPs and how easily his production can be duplicated/replaced. I seem to remember GB wandering in the "mostly indifferent RB woods" for quite some time......but those days are past. We can replace Jones like a battery - I guess....or hope.

I'm on board with the "you dont overpay RBs" scenario - but - I sure will miss the offensive production and points Jones has provided. The "value difference" that represents over a mid-age / more towards the back end of his career LT - is clearly a subjective, judgement call.  Sounds like we'll get a chance to see it in action.

When we were in RB jail....I don't think we invested a second round pick on a guy.  Maybe Brandon Jackson was.....  But really, it was a lot of late round stuff.  Including Jones, he just happened to pan out.  Like big time.

I don't think you can replace what Jones gives you easily.  I do not think that Dillion gives you what Jones gives you.  And conversely, I don't feel like Jones gives you what Dillon does.

Dillion is power.  Jones is quickness and speed.  I don't worry about Jones' points...most are goalline plays and I think Dillon is a better fit down there.  

You replace running backs much easier than left tackles.

Ideally we have them all back, but when push comes to shove, I draw a line in the sand on running backs concerning long term contracts.  There is no line in the sand for long term contracts at LT.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Ideally we have them all back, but when push comes to shove, I draw a line in the sand on running backs concerning long term contracts.  There is no line in the sand for long term contracts at LT.

It will be interesting to see the GBP offense w/o Jone's productivity. Those TDs come in handy. Would put the "is it the player or the system" question in stark relief. Hopefully we dont get to see that this year because of injury.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

He got hurt run blocking. They did nothing but run the ball on that last drive. 

With the game out of reach - under 2mins left and TPA having no TOs - there's a line of thinking that NOLA shouldnt have been running any plays at all and just taking a knee.

Injuries happen. Tough break for NOLA. But (in obvious hindsight) they could have helped themselves simply by closing things out.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

He got hurt run blocking. They did nothing but run the ball on that last drive. 

Why is the star WR even in the game, up 11 with less than 2 minutes left on the clock? Packers had Tim Boyle running the victory formation with a 9 point lead and the same circumstances.  

2 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Why is the star WR even in the game, up 11 with less than 2 minutes left on the clock? Packers had Tim Boyle running the victory formation with a 9 point lead and the same circumstances.  

I get it, but a lot of guys have snap count escalators in their deals. If your Thomas you're thinking you're pretty safe out there run blocking. Why they didn't have him way the hell out wide on an island is a better question. He was close to the box if I recall. Got rolled on.