NFL News & Notes

Leader

NFL needs to cut this off and cut it off hard.  Teams need to be hammered for throwing games.  Big fines and take away the draft picks they are tanking for.  

Need to create an environment where the owners are afraid to do it.  Pull this **** again and we'll take your team.   

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

NFL needs to cut this off and cut it off hard.  Teams need to be hammered for throwing games.  Big fines and take away the draft picks they are tanking for.  Need to create an environment where the owners are afraid to do it.  Pull this **** again and we'll take your team.   

I agree. The league can exist nicely in an environment with some sports media and fans *think* a team's losing for picks - but documented evidence of it? Somebody's gotta pay - again - especially when the league is making tons of cash off legalized betting. That may be a secondary factor....but it's a big one.

• Like 2

I once saw a NBA proposal to prevent teams from tanking.

You take the final 10 games of the year and the bottom 5 teams.  The team that WINS the most games of those final 10 gets the top pick, followed by the second most wins for the second pick and so forth.

You could do it for the final 3 games in the NFL.  Tweak it however they want, but just an idea.

1 hour ago, NFLGURU said:

I once saw a NBA proposal to prevent teams from tanking.

You take the final 10 games of the year and the bottom 5 teams.  The team that WINS the most games of those final 10 gets the top pick, followed by the second most wins for the second pick and so forth.

You could do it for the final 3 games in the NFL.  Tweak it however they want, but just an idea.

It would be pretty tricky with so few NFL games. I wouldn’t mind a lottery system for the bottom 5-8 at least for the first round to prevent teams selling out for the top one or two picks. Some teams will lose and benefit but at least you can’t tank your way to a guaranteed first pick. 

• Like 2

ESPN -  Both former Cleveland Brows head coach Hue Jackson and the head of his foundation accused the Browns of paying him to lose games during the 2016 and 2017 seasons.

Kimberly Diemert, who is the executive director of the Hue Jackson Foundation, which works to prevent human trafficking, claimed the Browns made a similar offer to Jackson when he was the head coach in Cleveland, tweeting that "we have records that will help" Flores' case.

Diemert said in a phone interview with ESPN that their proof is "well documented" and previously had been "presented to the league." Diemert declined to say how much money was discussed.

A spokesperson for the Browns called the charge "completely fabricated and said that "any accusation that any member of our organization was incentivized to deliberately lose games is categorically false."

The Browns went 1-15 in 2016, then 0-16 the following season, giving them the No. 1 overall draft pick in back-to-back years. Cleveland drafted defensive end Myles Garrett in 2017, then quarterback Baker Mayfield in 2018. Jackson was fired midway through the 2019 season.

6 hours ago, Reaper said:

So question: does a player who was on a bad team that was losing on purpose have an argument that his next contract was affected by the manipulation the coach did to ensure a loss? I kind of expect that if it can be proven that the losses were intentional a case could be made.

Answer: Yes

Better question: Do you think any NFL GM cares? Or they are just going to use that to their advantage as well?

2 hours ago, Leader said:

ESPN -  Both former Cleveland Brows head coach Hue Jackson and the head of his foundation accused the Browns of paying him to lose games during the 2016 and 2017 seasons.

Kimberly Diemert, who is the executive director of the Hue Jackson Foundation, which works to prevent human trafficking, claimed the Browns made a similar offer to Jackson when he was the head coach in Cleveland, tweeting that "we have records that will help" Flores' case.

Diemert said in a phone interview with ESPN that their proof is "well documented" and previously had been "presented to the league." Diemert declined to say how much money was discussed.

A spokesperson for the Browns called the charge "completely fabricated and said that "any accusation that any member of our organization was incentivized to deliberately lose games is categorically false."

The Browns went 1-15 in 2016, then 0-16 the following season, giving them the No. 1 overall draft pick in back-to-back years. Cleveland drafted defensive end Myles Garrett in 2017, then quarterback Baker Mayfield in 2018. Jackson was fired midway through the 2019 season.

I can't think of anything worse for this lawsuit's credibility than Hue getting involved in it. 🤣

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

I can't think of anything worse for this lawsuit's credibility than Hue getting involved in it. 🤣

Not if he's got receipts. His spokesperson refers to "documentation" .
If his contribution is "this guy told me this guy was gonna take care of me" - he wont be brought into the lawsuit. 

Tom Pelissero -  The Vikings are zeroing in on Rams OC Kevin O’Connell as their head coach, sources tell me and @RapSheet. The deal can’t be finalized until after the Super Bowl.

• Ross Uglem -   Gonna sound like trolling, and maybe it is, but out of DeMeco, Harbaugh, O'Connell, and Patrick Graham -- I think if you don't like the Vikings you're glad it's O'Connell. Please keep in mind that I publicly anguished over their hiring of Zimme