NFL News & Notes

Leader

Jeremy Fowler -   Soon-to-be Vikings HC Kevin O'Connell conveyed a firm belief in Kirk Cousins during the interview process, I'm told. He's high on him. The front office must decide on Cousins' future due to his $45M cap hit, but many coaches interviewing for job liked Cousins, O'Connell included.

• Ross Uglem -   This is something Peter Bukowski mentioned: There was a chance spreadsheet Kwesi loved Kirk’s dots on the spreadsheets. Hired a coach that believed in Kirk. What a time. To be alive.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Jeremy Fowler -   Soon-to-be Vikings HC Kevin O'Connell conveyed a firm belief in Kirk Cousins during the interview process, I'm told. He's high on him. The front office must decide on Cousins' future due to his $45M cap hit, but many coaches interviewing for job liked Cousins, O'Connell included.

• Ross Uglem -   This is something Peter Bukowski mentioned: There was a chance spreadsheet Kwesi loved Kirk’s dots on the spreadsheets. Hired a coach that believed in Kirk. What a time. To be alive.

That's smart, they're proving again to be the best managed team in the division after us. Kirk is not the problem there, if they build around him they may be a bit of a threat over the next couple of seasons. 

24 minutes ago, Sandy said:

That's smart, they're proving again to be the best managed team in the division after us. Kirk is not the problem there, if they build around him they may be a bit of a threat over the next couple of seasons. 

Disagree. The defense is what made the team. Kurt was able to manage games well and pick up wins when the D was playing very well. Just because he's not the problem doesnt make a boon. They have to rebuild that D.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Sandy said:

NO.  You don't build a team around a JAG+ QB.  Zimmer had the right idea, Speilman is the one who sabotaged it.  I swear to god that he (Spielman) drafted right out of Kiper's BlueBook.

Too late to build around Cousins, he just doesn't have the heart and he can't improvise (off platform).  Cousins is a coach killer, he leads the league in third down completions followed by a punt.

I disagree.  Cousins is a good thrower.  But he's part of a team, that's had a lousy o-line for years, and a lousy defense recently.  The team around him hasn't been good enough, through no fault of his.  If they fix the o-line and give him excellent protection, he'll be very productive and lead a strong offense.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Disagree. The defense is what made the team. Kurt was able to manage games well and pick up wins when the D was playing very well. Just because he's not the problem doesnt make a boon. They have to rebuild that D.

26 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

NO.  You don't build a team around a JAG+ QB.  Zimmer had the right idea, Speilman is the one who sabotaged it.  I swear to god that he (Spielman) drafted right out of Kiper's BlueBook.

Too late to build around Cousins, he just doesn't have the heart and he can't improvise (off platform).  Cousins is a coach killer, he leads the league in third down completions followed by a punt.

I agree with both of you on some points...but you're forgetting, this is the Vikings. An 11 win season and a playoff win IS their Super Bowl.

But jokes aside, as a fan I'd rather see a team go for it than to always try to lose until you find that elusive HOF QB. This is where I think us as Packers fans can get a little spoiled having had such superlative QB play for so long.

Build the right team around Eli Manning and get hot at the right time...and Eli becomes a HOFer. Essentially, if they run it back with this offense with Kirk, Cook, and Jeffy, have a little more imaginative play calling, and focus on improving that defense to be a top ten unit, and they might turn some heads next year and have a shot at it come January.

3 minutes ago, craig said:

I disagree.  Cousins is a good thrower.  But he's part of a team, that's had a lousy o-line for years, and a lousy defense recently.  The team around him hasn't been good enough, through no fault of his.  If they fix the o-line and give him excellent protection, he'll be very productive and lead a strong offense.  

This is exactly the team he had this year. With Darrisaw and Oneill locked in as bookends as well as the C they wont be getting too many more reinforcements there. Idk what else you expect them to add to the O? They have their 2 WRs and a RB. Tell me you believe Irv is the difference.

3 minutes ago, Sandy said:

I agree with both of you on some points...but you're forgetting, this is the Vikings. An 11 win season and a playoff win IS their Super Bowl.

But jokes aside, as a fan I'd rather see a team go for it than to always try to lose until you find that elusive HOF QB. This is where I think us as Packers fans can get a little spoiled having had such superlative QB play for so long.

Build the right team around Eli Manning and get hot at the right time...and Eli becomes a HOFer. Essentially, if they run it back with this offense with Kirk, Cook, and Jeffy, have a little more imaginative play calling, and focus on improving that defense to be a top ten unit, and they might turn some heads next year and have a shot at it come January.

I think its probably right to stick with Kurt while they look for the next guy. I disagree that you want to invest heavily in weapons for him as opposed to restocking the D.

1 hour ago, Sandy said:

You dont think they've been building around him already?

2 hours ago, Sandy said:

Yes. Very smart. They should definitely pay Kirk Cousins $45mil. It's a GREAT move for them. Viking fans should all contact the FO to encourage exactly this. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Norm said:

I don't hate cousins but I'm scared to say it now

Depending on where Russell Wilson falls this spring, you could make the argument that Cousins will be a top 3-4 QB in the NFC next year. I mean, the conference is pretty depleted overall with Brees and Brady leaving the last few years. It's close but I'd probably take Cousins over Dak and Murray. That leaves Rodgers, Stafford, and who else? 

The AFC meanwhile is loaded, especially with good young talented QBs.  

14 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Depending on where Russell Wilson falls this spring, you could make the argument that Cousins will be a top 3-4 QB in the NFC next year. I mean, the conference is pretty depleted overall with Brees and Brady leaving the last few years. It's close but I'd probably take Cousins over Dak and Murray. That leaves Rodgers, Stafford, and who else? 

The AFC meanwhile is loaded, especially with good young talented QBs.  

Good news, we can have "close to Cousins".

And then when he's a Packer, "Much better than Cousins."