NFL News & Notes

Leader

3 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

The NFL is a bad organization full of bigoted, incompetent fools who got there mostly through nepotism that put out a quality product despite all the things the people in charge want that run against what makes the game interesting and fun.  The more damage we can do to every single NFL front office of every team, the better.

We have an anarchist in our midst!  :)

19 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

First and foremost, Brian Flores should be an NFL head coach somewhere, it would be absurd if he isn't. If he's somehow not going to have a top job in 2022, it makes me wish the Packers had an opening at defensive coordinator. Damn good coach.

He deserves a shot, that Miami team was a dumpster fire when he got there.  Hope he gets a halfway stable team and franchise.  

47 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Problem isn't race, it's the shift to almost all franchises wanting that "young offensive mind." Most of the time that's QB coach to OC to HC route. They need to get more young black coaches in the QB rooms, that's where the money is made. Leftwich is the only one I know of at the moment.

How about the NFL paying for a black coach in every QB room.  Either as a QB coach or assistant.  You get the NFL experience, get some mentoring and go from there.   Learn and move up or take your experience to a college job or whatever you desire.

Edited by NFLGURU

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Earth won't even exist by 2030. We'll be hit by a meteor before then. 

Earth will be destroyed, the only thing left standing is 58 year old Mercedes Lewis dressed in a Packer uniform ready to play.  

• Like 1

The race thing is that despite something like 57-60% of the NFL being made up of nonwhite players, the coaching ranks are nonetheless much whiter.  One would assume your talent pool for "coaches and scouts and the like" is a subset of "people who know about football" which intersects meaningfully with "people who played football."

This isn't necessarily a "secretly has a klan hood in the closet" thing so much as how owners are mostly idiots and have a Rolodex problem- you're not going to hire people you're unaware of.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

The NFL is a bad organization full of bigoted, incompetent fools who got there mostly through nepotism that put out a quality product despite all the things the people in charge want that run against what makes the game interesting and fun.  The more damage we can do to every single NFL front office of every team, the better.

NFL = Nepotism For Life

12 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

The race thing is that despite something like 57-60% of the NFL being made up of nonwhite players, the coaching ranks are nonetheless much whiter.  One would assume your talent pool for "coaches and scouts and the like" is a subset of "people who know about football" which intersects meaningfully with "people who played football."

This isn't necessarily a "secretly has a klan hood in the closet" thing so much as how owners are mostly idiots and have a Rolodex problem- you're not going to hire people you're unaware of.

While I think I agree with your overall point, I do think it's important to get a little more granular in the comparison.

i.e. it's more convincing to see that x% of former white QBs become college or pro coordinators or HC while y% of black QBs do. And fir each position played. 

Making it much more granular runs into the whole "Bill Polian says Lamar Jackson should be a wide receiver" problem where black athletes are prevented from being quarterbacks.

Like sure, you don't expect a lot of defensive linemen to be head coaches, but Mike Vrabel and Mike Zimmer were linebackers, the Hoodie was an OL/TE, Harbaugh and Carrol were DBs, Andy Reid was an OL, etc.

Edited by PossibleCabbage
  • Like 1

Ryan Autullo -  In the middle of search for new coach, Stephen Ross and Miami now must address allegations they bribed former coach to lose games and asked that coach to break rules by contacting another team's player. We can't know if Flores will win the suit. But he's scoring revenge points.

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Making it much more granular runs into the whole "Bill Polian says Lamar Jackson should be a wide receiver" problem where black athletes are prevented from being quarterbacks.

Like sure, you don't expect a lot of defensive linemen to be head coaches, but Mike Vrabel and Mike Zimmer were linebackers, the Hoodie was an OL/TE, Harbaugh and Carrol were DBs, Andy Reid was an OL, etc.

Daboll was a defensive back.

Eberflus was a linebacker.

Hackett was a linebacker and long snapper.

McDaniels set a team on fire and basically flipped off another team and still gets chances. Also he was a QB/WR. 

I do feel like I'm hearing more names of players serving in coaching programs right now. But there are significant racism problems in the NFL that they continue to cover up performatively (the Rooney Rule, painting slogans in the end zone, putting stickers on helmets) in their attempts to protect the shield.

Edited by Striker
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

This is probably gonna be a controversial opinion but none the less I'll address the elephant in the room. It's not a stretch to say black people on average are more athletic than their white counter parts. There's a reason every athletic white player's draft profile is a gym rat, bring your lunch pale to work, first one in last one out. There's a reason there's no white cornerbacks in the league and hardly any white running backs. Most white white receivers in the league are in the mold of the shifty slot receiver type. Positions that require the most athleticism are dominated by black athletes. 

I don't have any data to back this up, but I suspect a large pool of college players who don't have the athleticism to make it in the league go into coaching afterwards. And I suspect a large portion of those college players are white. So while Matt Lafleur, Sean McVay, Zac Taylor, etc have 10+ years of coaching experience at various levels of football by the time they're in their early 30s. Compare that to say DeMeco Ryan who retired in 2016 and started his first year of coaching at 33, it's no surprise a team will hire the candidate with more coaching experience. 

EDIT: After a quick search, according to 

https://infogram.com/racial-breakdown-of-fbs-college-football-players-1g43mnrdy593pzy

53.4% of CFB players are black, 41.4% are white. Currently the NFL is 70% black, 30% white. Black athletes are significantly more likely to make it to the league than white players

Edited by NavyGuy

Looks like Jim Harbaugh may be heading to Minnesota for the Queens job.

Tomorrow is National Signing Day for the NCAA.  Why would you schedule a interview on National Signing Day???   Looks bad.  All those kids he recruited and now he bails on NSD???