Gene Steratore to ref Super Bowl LII

Shady Slim

34 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I wouldn't ever ask them to take back a whistle. I understand you can't do that without the opposing coach murdering you with a tack hammer after the game in the parking lot.

My gripe is when we onside kick the ball, it clearly spins off the ground, pops up in the air, and the opposing player calls for a fair catch--we nail the dude, get the ball, and are in position to go down the field for the game-winning TD in week 2 of the playoffs. THEN the referee claims that it's a player safety rule that allows a player on the kick return team to call for a fair catch at any point during the return. Our sideline flips out, asks them to show us the rule in the rulebook that our HC brings with him for these moments, and the guy refused to do it. He knew it wasn't a rule, but decided to make something completely bass ackwards up in order to save some face. This has happened at least 10x in my ten years of coaching where guys make up a rule.

I've seen referees let the players spot the ball.

I've seen referees tell me that an illegal forward pass 5 yard penalty gets marked off from the spot of the catch.

I've seen referees forget to add yardage to penalties (in our favor).

I've seen referees let teams break the huddle with 12 (multiple times this year it happened to us).

I've seen referees throw flags for blocking the punter (who was past the LOS sprinting down the field to make a tackle.

This year vs. our rival team, our punter got leveled in his plant leg and up top by two different players simultaneously right after releasing a kick. To my utter amazement, no flag was thrown. I lost my mind and screamed to the referee that was literally staring right at it, "They freaking killed him! How is that not a flag?"  His response? "Oh, they didn't kill him!" So my response was to turn to my sideline and yell plenty loud enough for him to hear, "Ohhhh ok guys. Our punter's still alive so no flag. Never knew about that rule. So I guess we can hit the punter late...just don't kill him." Looked back at the ref and said "I'll keep that in mind when they punt next time."    I got a hardass stare down from this fat slob for that comment.

And every freaking time we call them out on their terrible calls, we don't hear, "you're right...we missed that one, but we can't go back and change it." We get into these pizzing matches on the sidelines where they pretend like they're always right. I have no respect for officials that do that. I swear on my life if a referee turned to me and said, "My bad, coach. We missed that one.", I'd gladly accept their explanation and say, "hey, I don't envy your job. It's all good." It's the arrogance of the refs that they got it right when they clearly got it wrong that makes me sick. It makes me want to Brock Lesnar these useless cucks into oblivion.

MeatyBasicIrrawaddydolphin-size_restrict

This is what the refs do to you it sounds like

On 1/17/2018 at 10:18 PM, Eagles $5$ said:

As long as it's not Pete Morelli and his crew if we make it lol.

you telling me that mofo has it out for teams with birds in their name or logo.  He hates the Falcons as well for some off reason we always get called terribly by his crew. 

On 1/17/2018 at 7:51 PM, BleedTheClock said:

I realize my hate is misguided, but it doesn't change my opinion. I have a sickening hatred for them. As a HS football coach that deals with amateur refs, nothing sickens me more than when they are blatantly wrong and don't have the humility to just say, "I screwed up." I hate them, but I don't envy their jobs whatsoever. I got offered a job by a friend to referee a few games and laughed in her face. Screw that noise.

200% Agreed, I literally hate refs, the a lot of them are scumbags. I've been a part of so many state playoff games that have been decided by flags, its not fair to the kids who believe in what we are teaching and come so close to have some two big schmuck with a pre-determined bias take it away from them with some bs phantom call or even worse a no call. If I could provide I would provide visual evidence if I could. Most of the refs on the HS level are not good at what they do let alone have a lick of impartiality, they don't differ much on the professional level. These guys kill the purity of the game and thats a shame.

With that being said, there are a few guys who actually see things as they actually are, those guys will have special wings in heaven.

On 1/22/2018 at 12:34 PM, RuskieTitan said:

Is his crew going to be smiling and laughing and dancing during the Patriot touchdowns in the Super Bowl too?

This crew is professional.  They'll wait until the Patriots invite them into the locker room, where they will promptly be paid and allowed to partake in the celebration. 

Archived