Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

On 4/6/2018 at 9:13 AM, disaacs said:

This is where the Wolves pay the price for getting lazy in games against the teams they should have beat earlier in the season (and against Memphis). 

True, it has been a frustrating seasons especially the last month or so.  

Honestly Jimmy Butler is the entire competitive/emotional/toughness/leadership and balls of the entire team.  Without him they are nothing and that showed last night, honestly how can one team be so lacking in passion and leadership and Jimmy has to bring it all himself defensively and in late game situations.  The entire emotional compass is him every time, he might get sick of this real quick, and guys like Wiggins needs to get his head out of his ***.  At least our Pro football team is not a open gate defensively anymore, this basketball team without Butler sure is though....

Wild vs Jets round 1 of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Game 1 is Wednesday night.

Really hoping the Wolves can win out and have a few other games fall their way to grab 5 or 6 seed. 

Currently:

#5 Pelicans 46-34 (@ Clippers and vs Spurs)

#6 Spurs 46-34 (vs Kings and @ Pelicans)

#7 Thunder 46-34 (@ Heat and vs Grizzlies)

#8 Wolves 45-35 (vs Grizzlies and vs Nuggets)

#9 Nuggets 45-35 (vs Blazers and @Wolves)

It's amazing that the Wolves could still end up being the 5 seed after how they fell off, I suspect we'll either be 7th/8th seed. If the Wolves win and Blazers win and I forget who else needed to win, possibly the Spurs for some reason, that would give the Wolves a playoff spot, they were talking about it on the radio, but I don't remember who it was. I'd like the last game of the season not to mean anything against the Nuggets.

It’s crazy to think that with just 3 more wins (and this is a team that laid eggs against Memphis, Phoenix, Orlando, Chicago, and Atlanta) they could be clinched as the #3 seed. Instead, they’re playing a win and in game, all because they lack any sense of motivation. 

This is why I would kick Tibs out the door. 

It is bizarre to me that Thibs is the reason that the players aren’t motivated. I think it’s a Wiggins problem. Playing defense is a personal effort thing. If Thibs can’t get him to play defense on a consistent basis, I don’t think anyone can. 

22 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

It is bizarre to me that Thibs is the reason that the players aren’t motivated. I think it’s a Wiggins problem. Playing defense is a personal effort thing. If Thibs can’t get him to play defense on a consistent basis, I don’t think anyone can. 

I think players are a little different now too though. I mean, maybe Wiggins isn't a huge fan of Thibs' "scream yourself hoarse" every night coaching style. I don't think Thibs is the type of coach that will change his coaching style to fit his players. I also think that as a player it's harder to be engaged on defense if you're not engaged in the offense, and this iso heavy offense doesn't keep players very engaged on that end.

That was always the criticism of Thibs, an outdated offense and overuse of starters. 

I don’t buy the doesn’t like yelling stuff though. Wiggins just got paid an obnoxious amount of money. The least he can do is try on defensive end. Effort on defense leads to better offense. If a massive contract and playing with 2 other top 20 players can’t get you going I’m not sure what will.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JDBrocks said:

That was always the criticism of Thibs, an outdated offense and overuse of starters. 

I don’t buy the doesn’t like yelling stuff though. Wiggins just got paid an obnoxious amount of money. The least he can do is try on defensive end. Effort on defense leads to better offense. If a massive contract and playing with 2 other top 20 players can’t get you going I’m not sure what will.

I agree with that. Effort shouldn't have to be taught. The confusing part to me was Wiggins' lack of production when Butler was out. I get that it has been a transition for him because he doesn't touch the ball as much with Butler and Teague in the mix, but that effort wasn't there when Butler was out either. I'm trying to be optimistic about Andrew, but it's getting harder to be that way.

It’s a coach’s job to know how to motivate their players. If the only way you know how to “coach” is to yell and scream, even when it’s apparent that it’s not working, if you can’t adapt your approach to the players on your team, you are simply not a good coach.

And it’s not just a Wiggins thing. Far too often Towns, Teague, and Butler have all come out flat and uninspiring.

1 hour ago, vikestyle said:

I think players are a little different now too though. I mean, maybe Wiggins isn't a huge fan of Thibs' "scream yourself hoarse" every night coaching style. I don't think Thibs is the type of coach that will change his coaching style to fit his players. I also think that as a player it's harder to be engaged on defense if you're not engaged in the offense, and this iso heavy offense doesn't keep players very engaged on that end.

Wiggins has always been a low motor guy, even at Kansas.  It's not just for Thibs.

I just don't think that Thibs knows how to reach this generation of player, plus his insistence on such a short bench is maddening.  Gorgui clearly doesn't have it going this year and yet we aren't seeing Justin Patton at all.  Thibs has been great for the players that he's brought in (Butler, Gibson, and Crawford aren't here if he's not the coach), but in terms of actually coaching I haven't like what I've seen from him.

I wasn't at all a fan of basically swapping Rubio and Teague... you've got guys in Butler, Towns, and Wiggins who could use a distributor at the point position and you trade away a very good distributor and defensive player for another scorer/sub-par defender.

Edited by rpmwr19
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, rpmwr19 said:

I just don't think that Thibs knows how to reach this generation of player, plus his insistence on such a short bench is maddening.  Gorgui clearly doesn't have it going this year and yet we aren't seeing Justin Patton at all.  Thibs has been great for the players that he's brought in (Butler, Gibson, and Crawford aren't here if he's not the coach), but in terms of actually coaching I haven't like what I've seen from him.

I wasn't at all a fan of basically swapping Rubio and Teague... you've got guys in Butler, Towns, and Wiggins who could use a distributor at the point position and you trade away a very good distributor and defensive player for another scorer/sub-par defender.

Wouldn't you think that Butler, Gibson, KAT, and Wiggins should give you enough defensively that you can withstand the defensive drop off from Rubio to Teague? I likened Chicago era Thibs to Zimmer. He is hard nosed, but his players would run through a wall for him. He turned Butler into the player that you see today. Imagine if Wiggins had that kind of drive.

The short bench, I agree. It was the biggest reason that he isn't still in Chicago in my opinion. If he pulls Rose in Game 1 of the '11 playoffs, the Bulls are probably going to the finals that year. Instead, Rose was never the same player and the team slowly crumbled. 

1 minute ago, JDBrocks said:

Wouldn't you think that Butler, Gibson, KAT, and Wiggins should give you enough defensively that you can withstand the defensive drop off from Rubio to Teague? I likened Chicago era Thibs to Zimmer. He is hard nosed, but his players would run through a wall for him. He turned Butler into the player that you see today. Imagine if Wiggins had that kind of drive.

The short bench, I agree. It was the biggest reason that he isn't still in Chicago in my opinion. If he pulls Rose in Game 1 of the '11 playoffs, the Bulls are probably going to the finals that year. Instead, Rose was never the same player and the team slowly crumbled. 

On the flip side, wouldn't you think that the offensive output from Towns, Butler, Wiggins, and Crawford could withstand not having a huge scoring threat at PG? 

I thought part of the idea behind Teague was to give us more firepower from 3. Well he is shooting 36% on 3.2 attempts per game and Rubio is shooting 35% on 3.6 attempts.

Given that KAT and Wiggins haven't shown much as defenders, no I wouldn't think that, and I put a larger emphasis on the guys who defend the players who have the ball the most.  I think the number of players that would run through a wall for Thibs, in terms of a percentage of the team, is far less than Zimmer.  I just don't see that kind of fire in these players, or adjustments made during halftime or a timeout. Even if the majority of it is on KAT/Wiggins, if Thibs can't reach those two he shouldn't be here unless the team is planning on jettisoning them in lieu of the coach.

Edited by rpmwr19