Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

One of the things that made 1987-88  the greatest year in Minnesota sports history...at least as it concerns me.  The Twins win the Series, the Vikings made the NFCC game after upsetting the greatest 49ers team, my future HS (I was in 8th grade) won the state hockey tournament (the only time they ever have) and Minneapolis was awarded the NCAA basketball tournament final four (which would be held in 1992) and the NBA awarded Minnesota a NBA franchise that would eventually become the Timberwolves (although I'm not sure I appreciate that as much now, LOL!)

• Like 1

And it was 31 yrs ago today, Kirby had his famous Game 6 catch and HR in the WS vs. the Braves. 

Fun fact, in the 1st video above, you will see Terry Pendleton returning to first base after the catch.  He's actually one of my wife's extended cousins on the paternal side of her family.  From what I understand, he wasn't the most well-liked person in the family as the one time they attended a family reunion, he was the one member of their family that didn't show up and his siblings and others more connected directly to him constantly talked negatively about him the entire time.  

While not directly related to the Wolves (as it's the Lakers, which for those that know originated in Minneapolis), I read an article on the StarTribune this morning (https://www.startribune.com/george-mikan-retired-no-99-minneapolis-los-angeles-lakers-patrick-reusse/600219329/ if you happen to have a subscription) saying that the Lakers are finally retiring George Mikan's number.  What an embarrassment and disrespectful that it's taken this long. 

And that they're retiring Pau Gasol's number a few months later?  Why him?  He certainly was a very good player for them, but number retirement worthy?  When I think of historically great Lakers players, Gasol would never, ever come up.  Hell, I'd retire Michael Cooper's number before I'd retire Gasol's number.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, swede700 said:

While not directly related to the Wolves (as it's the Lakers, which for those that know originated in Minneapolis), I read an article on the StarTribune this morning (https://www.startribune.com/george-mikan-retired-no-99-minneapolis-los-angeles-lakers-patrick-reusse/600219329/ if you happen to have a subscription) saying that the Lakers are finally retiring George Mikan's number.  What an embarrassment and disrespectful that it's taken this long. 

And that they're retiring Pau Gasol's number a few months later?  Why him?  He certainly was a very good player for them, but number retirement worthy?  When I think of historically great Lakers players, Gasol would never, ever come up.  Hell, I'd retire Michael Cooper's number before I'd retire Gasol's number.  

Gasol was a very good player, but he’s hardly a Lakers great in my mind. 

Heck, I still think of him more as a Memphis Grizzly. 

Just now, SemperFeist said:

Heck, I still think of him more as a Memphis Grizzly. 

That was my thought as well, when I think of Gasol, I think Grizzlies, not Lakers.  That reeks of being a lesser version of the Celtics retiring Garnett's number...or probably more accurately would be like if the Rockets or Suns were to retire Charles Barkley's number.  

Ravens receiver Rashod Bateman has had a presence on the team’s practice report every week since Week 5. He has missed practices since injuring his foot in Week 4 and has played only 49 snaps over two games since.

He won’t play anymore in 2022. Ravens coach John Harbaugh announced Thursday that Bateman will undergo season-ending foot surgery.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/11/03/rashod-bateman-will-undergo-season-ending-foot-surgery/

1 minute ago, vike daddy said:

Ravens receiver Rashod Bateman has had a presence on the team’s practice report every week since Week 5. He has missed practices since injuring his foot in Week 4 and has played only 49 snaps over two games since.

He won’t play anymore in 2022. Ravens coach John Harbaugh announced Thursday that Bateman will undergo season-ending foot surgery.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/11/03/rashod-bateman-will-undergo-season-ending-foot-surgery/

That’s too bad for Bateman. Even worse for Baltimore. 

44 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

It’s the only card in his hand it seems. Turn around and hand it off to Ibrihim. 

And Glen Mason used to get killed for it.  But, I suppose if you can't trust your WRs (that you recruited), I don't know what you do.  Maybe that Athan guy next year will be able to actually pass it.  

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

And Glen Mason used to get killed for it.  But, I suppose if you can't trust your WRs (that you recruited), I don't know what you do.  Maybe that Athan guy next year will be able to actually pass it.  

If Fleck even lets him throw it.

I get that the ground and pound works against a lot of teams if properly executed. But when you run 50 times a game and throw less than 20 it is hard to get your qb in a rhythm and the D can stuff the box, you need good balance. It hurt against Purdue this year when Ibrihim was out and the other rbs couldnt get it going. Yet Fleck still was trying to force the run. The pass game was working well and he just canned it cuz he's too conservative and always wants to control the clock (very Zimmer-like in that capacity).

It also hurt against Penn State in Athan's first start. I get it was a tough environment but you need to pull out all the stops there to get the win. Defense gets an interception early in the game and gets the ball inside the opponents 20 and they go 3 and out with 3 straight runs. He didnt even try to push it. I knew then that the game was over and my disdain for his game management grew like the grinch's heart. When he finally opened it up he looked pretty decent throwing the ball. But Fleck just never gave him a chance to go win that game. Very frustrating!