Broncos rumors

Wolzen

20 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

First I do need to clarify that Wyoming (and the rest of the MWC) is D1, no D1AA.

That said, Josh Allen is No. 3 on my QB list, and a tier below both Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen, but I wouldn't flip out if we drafted him at No. 5. I've seen him play in person twice and I see a player with potential off the charts who is a true field general and has great rapport with his teammates and respect of his opponents; even in a rivalry as fierce at CSU-Wyoming, the Rams players and coaches all had nothing but high praise for him as a competitor and a talent. However, I do understand the concerns about him and they are entirely valid, it would be a roll of the dice pick. What has made me come around a little more on him the last four months has been the way he has, by all reports, improved his accuracy and footwork from the Poke's Bowl Game, to the Senior Bowl, to the combine, to his pro day. That shows he is coachable and his flaws, at least to an extent, are correctable. I would not quibble, however, with anyone who expressed discomfort with us drafting him as the concerns are valid, my argument to those parties would simply be, "let's wait and see what he looks like come August 2019."

What would be interesting would be this scenario: 

1 - Cleveland - Josh Allen

2 - Giants - Saquaon Barkley

3 - Jets - Baker Mayfield

At this point Cleveland would be getting major offers to move down with both Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen still on the board. A guy I know who is a major beat writer for the Broncos, someone who's name you would all know and who you all respect, mentioned to me a few weeks ago that he believes, pretty strongly, that Darnold is the No. 1 QB on our board by a fairly wide margin (but, at the time, they didn't expect him to last until No. 5) because they love the pedigree, the intangibles and believe he brings Rosen-like ability from the pocket but with much more ability outside the pocket. He says they see some shades of Aaron Rodgers. Elway in his press conference the other day said, and I'm paraphrasing, "you have to be able to win from the pocket, that's how we won with Peyton," but the ability to create outside the pocket is valuable as well. If Cleveland's phone is ringing off the hook they could hold us hostage for No. 4 and Sam Darnold, picking up an extra day 2 pick, and still being able to land Bradley Chubb at No. 5. 

How would you guys feel about that?  We get Sam Darnold, who I think most around here really like, but we have to give up, say our first 3rd rounder for him?  Or a swap of 40 for 64? 

If it's just an early 3rd to get our number 1 qb I couldn't hate it and hes only just turned 21.

14 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

First I do need to clarify that Wyoming (and the rest of the MWC) is D1, no D1AA.

That said, Josh Allen is No. 3 on my QB list, and a tier below both Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen, but I wouldn't flip out if we drafted him at No. 5. I've seen him play in person twice and I see a player with potential off the charts who is a true field general and has great rapport with his teammates and respect of his opponents; even in a rivalry as fierce at CSU-Wyoming, the Rams players and coaches all had nothing but high praise for him as a competitor and a talent. However, I do understand the concerns about him and they are entirely valid, it would be a roll of the dice pick. What has made me come around a little more on him the last four months has been the way he has, by all reports, improved his accuracy and footwork from the Poke's Bowl Game, to the Senior Bowl, to the combine, to his pro day. That shows he is coachable and his flaws, at least to an extent, are correctable. I would not quibble, however, with anyone who expressed discomfort with us drafting him as the concerns are valid, my argument to those parties would simply be, "let's wait and see what he looks like come August 2019."

What would be interesting would be this scenario: 

1 - Cleveland - Josh Allen

2 - Giants - Saquaon Barkley

3 - Jets - Baker Mayfield

At this point Cleveland would be getting major offers to move down with both Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen still on the board. A guy I know who is a major beat writer for the Broncos, someone who's name you would all know and who you all respect, mentioned to me a few weeks ago that he believes, pretty strongly, that Darnold is the No. 1 QB on our board by a fairly wide margin (but, at the time, they didn't expect him to last until No. 5) because they love the pedigree, the intangibles and believe he brings Rosen-like ability from the pocket but with much more ability outside the pocket. He says they see some shades of Aaron Rodgers. Elway in his press conference the other day said, and I'm paraphrasing, "you have to be able to win from the pocket, that's how we won with Peyton," but the ability to create outside the pocket is valuable as well. If Cleveland's phone is ringing off the hook they could hold us hostage for No. 4 and Sam Darnold, picking up an extra day 2 pick, and still being able to land Bradley Chubb at No. 5. 

How would you guys feel about that?  We get Sam Darnold, who I think most around here really like, but we have to give up, say our first 3rd rounder for him?  Or a swap of 40 for 64? 

I would love it, LOVE IT, if we could get Sam Darnold on our football team, but realistically it’s not happening.

For me, the Browns like Josh Allen, and would probably consider him in any other year, but I think the media are overplaying their interest in him to make it seem like the #1 pick isn’t a foregone conclusion. I think deep down the whole league knows Darnold is the best prospect in this draft at the QB position and I still expect the Browns to take him.

The Giants links to Barkley and the Jets to Mayfield, I think are on the premise that they don’t believe Darnold will be available.  Either of those teams I think runs to the podium if he’s there.

It’s all moot though. He’s going 1st and I’m increasingly convinced that the top 4 will be Darnold, Barkley, Mayfield and Chubb. 

I have no issue with Denver giving up their 5th and their second rounder, if that’s what it took, to get their QB of choice, regardless of who it is.  I do believe Darnold is the best of the 4, and would be ecstatic if he fell to 4, but I’d also me dumbfounded.  Can’t see the Giants passing on him, if available, or at least taking the kings ransom they’d get to trade down. And if somehow they did passs and take a Barkley, surely the Jets couldn’t be stupid enough to take Msyfield over Darnold, could they? 

But this is one draft where I really have no idea how the top 5 will eventually play out, so who knows.  But If we could get Darnold for the 5th and a 3rd, I’d be thrilled.

51 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

I would love it, LOVE IT, if we could get Sam Darnold on our football team, but realistically it’s not happening.

For me, the Browns like Josh Allen, and would probably consider him in any other year, but I think the media are overplaying their interest in him to make it seem like the #1 pick isn’t a foregone conclusion. I think deep down the whole league knows Darnold is the best prospect in this draft at the QB position and I still expect the Browns to take him.

The Giants links to Barkley and the Jets to Mayfield, I think are on the premise that they don’t believe Darnold will be available.  Either of those teams I think runs to the podium if he’s there.

It’s all moot though. He’s going 1st and I’m increasingly convinced that the top 4 will be Darnold, Barkley, Mayfield and Chubb. 

I honestly could see Dorsey going for Allen No. 1 overall. For one, they have Tyrod as their bridge and most agree Allen could benefit from a year of seasoning, working with Hue Jackson and Todd Haley. He is also a perfect fit for Haley's vertical passing offense (think of the comparisons Allen to Big Ben). It wouldn't shock me one bit if they opted for Darnold instead, but I can see their logic in taking Allen.  

As far as the Giants are concerned, Gettleman is 67, he's not working to build the team long-term, he wants to win now. The Giants have a pretty stacked roster and their problems last year were largely due to how dysfunctional McAdoo was running that locker room. I think there's a good chance they go for the instant-impact player, which would be Barkley or Chubb, and try to make a run over the next couple years they have left with Eli. Now, like with the Browns, I wouldn't be surprised to see them take Darnold if he is available but I could see them going another way. 

Mayfield to the Jets makes too much sense. One, Mayfield has said he doesn't want to sit as a rookie (and knowing what we know about him, he wouldn't be quiet about it if he did) and the Jets could justify starting him over McCown, though McCown is the better QB. Plus, the Jets are a dysfunctional franchise with a flair for the dramatic, that just screams Mayfield to me. It makes too much sense, all the "Broadway Baker" crap that's out there. 

15 minutes ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

But this is one draft where I really have no idea how the top 5 will eventually play out, so who knows.  

You can say that again. I haven't been this excited for a draft in a long, long time. Can't it be Thursday already? This week is going to draaaaaaaaag on. 

28 minutes ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

I have no issue with Denver giving up their 5th and their second rounder, if that’s what it took, to get their QB of choice, regardless of who it is.  I do believe Darnold is the best of the 4, and would be ecstatic if he fell to 4, but I’d also me dumbfounded.  Can’t see the Giants passing on him, if available, or at least taking the kings ransom they’d get to trade down. And if somehow they did passs and take a Barkley, surely the Jets couldn’t be stupid enough to take Msyfield over Darnold, could they? 

But this is one draft where I really have no idea how the top 5 will eventually play out, so who knows.  But If we could get Darnold for the 5th and a 3rd, I’d be thrilled.

Thinking more about this, I’d actually be PISSED.....if Elway thought Darnold was his QBOTF (which is hard to quibble with) and didn’t do whatever it took to move up 1 slot to get him.  

Mike Klis reporting that Vance Joseph and the entire coaching staff have gone to some hotel with their wives to spend the weekend listening to a motivational speaker, playing golf and taking part in a coaches vs wives bowling tournament.

What the hell? I could understand this at the end of the season or in June when they have some down time but surely these guys should be doing every last bit of work on the prospects? A bizarre waste of time on the weekend before the draft.

My conspiracy theory here is that Vance Joseph’s voice is already marginalised in the war room with Elway, Russell and Kubiak calling the shots. I almost expect Kubiak back on the sidelines at some point this season when Vance’s inevitable firing happens. 

34 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

You can say that again. I haven't been this excited for a draft in a long, long time. Can't it be Thursday already? This week is going to draaaaaaaaag on. 

See last year I was excited for the draft too because trevor and paxton give this fanbase nothing to be excited about during the regular season.

I did love the 06 draft this is probably the most excited I've been since then. 09 that draft I was super excited for having 2 firsts and then the actual draft happened.

1 hour ago, paul-mac said:

Mike Klis reporting that Vance Joseph and the entire coaching staff have gone to some hotel with their wives to spend the weekend listening to a motivational speaker, playing golf and taking part in a coaches vs wives bowling tournament.

What the hell? I could understand this at the end of the season or in June when they have some down time but surely these guys should be doing every last bit of work on the prospects? A bizarre waste of time on the weekend before the draft.

My conspiracy theory here is that Vance Joseph’s voice is already marginalised in the war room with Elway, Russell and Kubiak calling the shots. I almost expect Kubiak back on the sidelines at some point this season when Vance’s inevitable firing happens. 

VJ has zero influence on the draft anyway, so for me, it does not matter.  He is a placeholder for the Broncos as they get this roster sorted out for our next head coach.  Vj's job will be doing what he is told until he goes.

Just now, BaldyBronco said:

VJ has zero influence on the draft anyway, so for me, it does not matter.  He is a placeholder for the Broncos as they get this roster sorted out for our next head coach.  Vj's job will be doing what he is told until he goes.

I don't think its Kubiak, but I do think it IS someone close to him

36 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

If is a true franchise QB...I'd give up an early 3rd in a minute.

So there's my issue with the QB situation. Darnold seems to be the consensus #1 QB in the draft. Even the possible #1 pick.

Anyway, I watch him just a bit, and read all I can find. yeah he can do great things, but the negative side is what bothers me. Turnover machine, incredibly long throwing motion and occasional confidence issues. He really has a goofy delivery.

Maybe it's just me, but on the negative side of a guy that I see as my QBOTF, I don't want to see much more than, "feet stink, laughs like a horse, lousy sense of humor............" You get the drift.

3 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

So there's my issue with the QB situation. Darnold seems to be the consensus #1 QB in the draft. Even the possible #1 pick.

Anyway, I watch him just a bit, and read all I can find. yeah he can do great things, but the negative side is what bothers me. Turnover machine, incredibly long throwing motion and occasional confidence issues. He really has a goofy delivery.

Maybe it's just me, but on the negative side of a guy that I see as my QBOTF, I don't want to see much more than, "feet stink, laughs like a horse, lousy sense of humor............" You get the drift.

Thats why I like Rosen better by a mile.

12 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Thats why I like Rosen better by a mile.

In a bubble? Absolutely. However my gut says he’s out of the league in 5 years. He has never been able to stay healthy, has a long concussion history (and a neuro spine surgeon father who knows the damages repeated concussions cause), a playing style similar to Big Ben where he stands tall in the pocket and takes the hit to make a play but a body type that doesn’t survive that beating, add in a questionable love of the game and I just see a kid who tears it up the first half of every season but finishes on the IR (ala sam Bradford) and retires early after a series of concussions. Love the kids game but I wouldn’t draft him.

I have Darnold and Allen as 1a/1b and honestly the only 1st round QBs.

Both have the athleticism. Both are football junkies who by all accounts love the grind required to be great. Both are natural leaders. Both read the field well.

Both are sight (vs anticipation) throwers. Both have huge red flags (turnovers vs accuracy) that historically have been difficult to fix in the NFL.

I am more willing to forgive a QB for poor accuracy/turnovers if it’s the result of playing with lesser quality teammates and trying to make a play, so that’s probably why I have Allen higher than most people.

Honestly I think whichever one the Browns/Jets don’t take will have the best career.

Archived